z

Young Writers Society

GT Plot Discussion

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:56 am
Ego says...

So, guys, it seems we're at a roadblock once more. We have writers who post consistently (DQ, Fand, Jenna), those who post infrequently (myself, Grif, Dynamo), and those who are nigh MIA (Vernon, Dan). The thing is...I know that if I ask that question, everyone will still say they're jazzed about it and want to continue.

The question is, how can we get everyone involved again? Since this is a sequel, it's quite hard to attract new writers, and even more difficult to create and maintain motivations for existing characters.

Vernon has recently expressed a desire to change characters. We quickly came up with a way for it to work, and just like that he was re-energized and read to post in the storybook. I'll go over that after we talk a bit more about motivation.

It's my theory that when our characters our motivated, and feel strongly about that motivation, so are we. The majority of the problems in this storybook,as well as JiN, arose from our lack of character motivation, as well as a lakc of character involvement in the plot. We tried to fudge it with amazing character interaction, but I think that's starting to die down, since the relations between our characters have stagnated and we've lost some key player characters (Carmenia, Henry). It's time we got our characters involved in the PLOT.

The best way to do this, I think, is to introduce our characters to some hardcore conflict. Pain. Death. Anguish. Something that will give them a reason to take Seraph down, instead of "Just acuz he asked us to real nice and cuz he stole that one book thingy." If we find something that can unite the characters and give them something to be up in arms about, we can get excited about the storybook again, ourselves.

So I ask you--and I expect everyone who wants to continue posting to answer--what would boil your character's blood?

Back to plot ideas and Vernon's new character:

Here's what I have so far...

Seraph does not want the Master to reveal his location to the party--if the old man does so, the group will no longer have a use for Dreffan. Seraph can't have that. Furthermore, Seraph wants Finn. Badly.

So he acts quickly. The Master senses magic about, and advises the group leaves the cave. They do so, and Seraph ambushes them with some low-power minions, and a female drow at his side. This young, dark elf woman is the daughter of two dark elves that Valin had grown to befriend earlier in life before they were killed by the Children of Bane. (These were DQ and Zelithon's characters in Four Treasures) Working as a sellsword, she was approached by Seraph, who promised her gold and the delivery of the man who killed his parents--Valin, Seraph tells her.

When Seraph ambushes the group, he summons minions of Bane, lowly demons from the Nine Hells. The dark elf woman attacks Valin viciously, preventing him from getting to Seraph, who head straight for the Master. The demons are keeping the others at bay. Adian manages to dispatch his foe, and then heads for Seraph, who has just dispatched the Master. Seraph wheels around on him and grabs him by the neck, draining him. Then he sees Finn. He destroys the demon attacking her, then grabs her by both wrists and teleports away.

Once his minions are dispatched, the dark elf is all that remains. She surrenders, unable to do anything else. When she explains who she is, Valin, to the surprise of everyone around him, warmly greets her and offers her a place in their party. He explains to her that the Children of Bane, whom Seraph is now the leader of, killed her parents. Meanwhile, Adrian is comforted by Becky, who does all she can for him--he is dying. With his last breaths he professes his love for her. Zel also grieves for the loss of his Master.

Strengths

Provides character motivation:
--Becky: Avenge Adrian, rescue Finn
--Valin: Rescue Finn, Destroy Seraph
--Lireal: Avenge her parents
--Dreffan: destroy the evil that has taken his country (epiphany!)
--Sirloaz: Avenge Adrian, be free of Zaolris
--Zel: Avenge his Master
--Alden: Kill Seraph, Avenge Adrian, rescue Kira
--Ria: Rescue Kira

Weaknesses

Breaks up the group somewhat.
Rushes the plot slightly.

Now. I ask again. What would make you character's blood BOIL to make them track this guy down? What do you think of this idea? Help me make this thing glorious once more!
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:49 am
deleted6 says...

Full Name: Lireal

Birthplace: The Wounded Dwarf Inn

Father's Name: Diznarden

Mother's Name: ?

Race: Dark Elf

Eye Color: Hazel (Though Red in the Dark)

Hair colour: White tied up with a strand of rope.

Height: 5.8

Personality: Confident but not complacent (After a Axe blow to her breast and up to her cheek) Will not kill anyone she feels an empathy for (she kills good and bad, but anyone she feels empathic for she lets live) Aggressive (through years of discrimination). Caring(Though rarely shows it) Trustworthy(despite what others say) Quite a heavy drinker.

Occupation: Sell sword, Assassin. Untrusted by most so work is hard to find.

Clothing: Light versatile chain-mail jerkin, black trousers, a under vest and a pack of bare essential crossbow bolts, a dozen throwing dagger. Some food for five days and one change of clothes. A sword belt round her waist.

Weapon(s): A dozen throwing daggers(about three with fast killing poison) A finely crafted blade very scimitar like. Sharp and angled, sharp teeth cut into one side (age old blood encrusted on the blade) A large crossbow made with precise precision by a human blacksmith. (The aim and accuracy are deadly.)

Special Skills: night-vision, globe or darkness, limited levitation, faerie fire, exceptional swordsmanship, excellent survival instinct underground and Tracking.

Natural Abilities: Night-vision

Classification: Assassin fighter

Brief History: Born in the room of the Inn "The Wounded Dwarf". Father the warrior of the famous last battle that destroyed the Weave. Grew up around discrimination for her species. Filled in around the Inn's her and Parents ran to. Always short lived. Once her parents left and after four days of not returning. She began to worry she bought some weapons and enough food for journey to try and find them. Her Father was no weak man, but even the most adverse fighters fall. Finding no trace she assumed they'd fallen and set down a road of hate for anyone who insulted our tried to challenge her. Obviously she got noticed by a group of Assassin who were of course impressed by her swordsmanship. They offered her money for killing a very influential individual coming to the town. His name Lord Kyron and a contract been sent out on his life.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm
Dynamo says...

I've got to say, well done. Just by reading that you've motivated me to take this into serious consideration. Other than the loss of alcohol, the thing that would make Zel's blood boil the most would definitely be the death of his master. Quinn was the only father he had, and seeing him die would break something inside him.

I say we go with your suggestion. I also apologize for my lack of posts. Things have been hectic for me these past few months, what with coming home from Japan and getting everything ready for college. I'll try to make more time to post.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm
sabradan says...

Good work, Dono. I have to say, for my part, the only reasons I haven't been posting as oft as I should is due to time constraints (Im VERY busy, IRL) and the fact that for the most part the character interaction and plot has veeered off to somewhere I hadn't planned and don't know what to do with.

But as far as what you've got, I think you've got it spot on. The one thing, as you rightfully know, that woul make Valin's blood boil is treachery/treason/disloyalty. Especially if it was by one of hte few people whom he loved, or in some way hurt one of those few poeple. Other than that, we're good to go.

Oh, and Vernon, 50 is not the elvish Equivalent of 17. 50 is like the Elvish equivalent of like, 5. 17 in Elvish years is in the upper 300s.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:25 pm
Ego says...

Elves mature at a quicker rate than humans, relative to their age. They reach upper adolescence at around 40.
Got YWS? I do.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:25 pm
deleted6 says...

Oh sorry, Dan I got help with this from Dono, so understand didn't try this character on my own. I'll just fix it.

Edit: What do I do?
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:13 am
sabradan says...

Ok, Dono--thats fine. But while they reach adolescent earlier, they stay "upper adolescent" a lot longer--say a few hundred years.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 am
Ego says...

Of course.
Got YWS? I do.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:18 am
Ego says...

Please note, that if you rewind time AT ALL in your post, that it MUST keep the continuity of what has already been established. For example, in Dynamo's latest he has Seraph and Zel fighting, although in my post, which established continuity, said no such thing. I had to go back and edit my own post for the sake of keeping that continuity...which I shouldn't have had to do, honestly.

Just something to keep in mind. If you go back in time, stay consistent with what is already established.
Got YWS? I do.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:29 am
Dynamo says...

I'll try to keep that in mind next time. Sorry for the trouble.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

576 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:47 am
Ego says...

No worries :)
Got YWS? I do.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:17 am
Jennafina says...

I've been trying to write a post for this for days, without any luck. I've got storybook writers' block. x_x Is anyone else interested in writing one? I could help, or something. I know what should happen, I just can't seem to write anything good!
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

"Sometimes even shooting stars find wishes that miss their marks."
— TryHardNinja