z

Young Writers Society

With Time Frozen Still [OOC]

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:19 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Oh, no! You didn’t mess anything up. I just wanted to pull you into here and let you know. I’m not upset with you and you’re definitely not the first to do this, so don’t worry at all. As I said, if you need any guidance with roleplaying you can talk to me (@WeepingWisteria or you can just call me Wist) or anyone else in this thread. While @Spearmint and @Mageheart aren’t official RP mods, Mint is still incredibly sweet and helpful and Mage used to be.

As for making your own roleplay, there’s a few things you need to do to successfully launch it. First thing, you have to decide if it’s best suited for hollows, realms, or storybooks. Where a roleplay fits is usually determined by post length and the amount of collaboration for each post. Hollows have incredibly short posts lengths, usually ranging from a couple of sentences to about a paragraph long. Some get longer, but it’s usually in that range. Realms tend to be more intermediate. A couple of paragraphs long, usually no more than five. Storybook posts can be true units posts, some ranging to 5K words (totally haven’t written one of those before. Not with @HarryHardy). Once you’ve determined that, then it’s time to make the roleplay thread on the appropriate category. The first post in the roleplay thread should be a short synopsis of the roleplay. Think of it like a back cover blurb on a novel. This is what will draw people in, tell them what to expect. Next up, you hop over to the OOC tab and create your OOC thread. You should always name your OOC thread *Roleplay Name* [OOC] or something similar. From there, you want to hop back into your roleplay thread. In the top right corner there should be a big blue button that says “edit storybook” or something along those lines. If you click that, it should automatically link your OOC to that thread. So just scroll to the bottom and press submit! From there, you have the option to make some sort of picture to advertise your roleplay and post it on your wall. Posting roleplays on your wall tends to bring people in because even if people don’t join, they’ll repost it to their wall and someone who wants to join can see it from them!

I hope this all helps!
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Hey @Ari11! Welcome to the site!! It's so great you're already jumping into RPs :') I echo everything that Wist said above, fae gave you some really great info ^-^ but also wanted to add that I checked out your RP and it looks really cool!

Just a bit of advice for your new RP, if you make an OOC for it (in the same forum as this one) then you may have a bit more luck in getting people to join it ^^ no worries at all about any of this, YWS can be a bit tricky to navigate when you first join. But like Wist said, generally the expectation is that you post in the OOC to ask to join an RP before you post in it, so it's a little unlikely that anyone is going to respond to yours if there's not an OOC where they can ask.

It's also helpful if you give a Character Profile in the OOC for people to introduce their characters ^^ The template can include anything you want, really.

Typically, we give them in a format sort of like this in the OOC:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Pronouns:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

(the [b] on either side of the words will turn that text into bold to make it more prominent)

But sometimes people add in stuff like strengths/weaknesses/magical ability/profession/etc. or they remove some of the categories above, it's 100% up to the creator of the RP what information they want about characters.

It's also helpful to post a link to the RP on your wall/the People tab so that people can see it and know it's accepting -- just like advertising a bit, you know?

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! This RP in particular has a lot of experienced RPers subscribed to it and all of us would be willing to help out I'm sure ^^

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

Random avatar

Reviews: 52

Random avatar

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:40 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

Okay, I've made the OOC but I'm having some trouble with making a character profile to show up on the site. How do I make one?

935 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:44 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

so if you want it to show up like I had it, you just put

[b][/b]

Only instead of the "b" put "code" inside the brackets. Is that what you're asking?

[they/he]

935 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Oh oops forgot to tag you so you'll get a notif @Ari11

[they/he]

31 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:47 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

[code][/code]
^^
She/They/Fae

935 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

... I didn't know you could do that. Meta.

[they/he]

31 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

XDD It’s what I do. I roleplay and I know things.
She/They/Fae

935 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:52 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

I apparently roleplay and don't know things xD hahaha

[they/he]

31 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:55 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

You know things.
She/They/Fae

Random avatar

Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:03 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

Ok, so I guess what I'm asking is that the Character Profile-maker-thing showed up on my RP, but I don't know how it got there. And when I made the OOC, there was no character profile thing and I don't know how to make it show up? I'm sorry if that's confusing but Google has been extremely unhelpful lmao.

Random avatar

31 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:06 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Ooh! Do you mean the characters tab, @Ari11? (Also, if you click the subscribe button at the very top, you’ll receive all notifications for this thread.)
She/They/Fae

935 Reviews

Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Oh! Yeahhh Google isn't helpful in learning how to navigate YWS, unfortunately.

You mean the sidebar that says "create a new character"? That auto-populates on RP threads but isn't in the OOC. Typically, the creator of the RP gives the Character Profile Template in the OOC, then people submit their characters in that bar, using the template. For example, Wist gave the Character Profile Template for this RP on the first post of this OOC. If you navigate over to the RP thread, you will then be able to see all of our characters and submit your own.

You will get a PM when someone submits a character, then you will need to go in and approve that character before it's visible to others (except moderators -- we can see all the characters submitted, but decorum says we don't touch them unless they're really inappropriate. 99.999% of the time it's 100% up to the DM to approve or reject characters).

Is that what you mean @Ari11? And yeah, if you subscribe, you'll get notifs! I'm tagging you because I'm not sure if you're subscribed, but we all are, so you don't have to tag us for us to see ^^

[they/he]

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo