z

Young Writers Society

Magic School Rejects [OOC]

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:03 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Sorry for the double post, but thought I'd also get a character profile going. (I've put some of Omni's rp's terms for the magic stuff in brackets)

Name: Siang Yi Novrum
Pronouns: she/her
Magic/ability: She can change the colour of water. The limitations are that 1. she can only change half her body mass's worth of water, that means something like 30 kg, and 2. she can only change colour, and not texture or taste or anything else.
Motivation for going to Lyndira: Learning magic! And confidence in her own ability to learn magic.
Appearance: She's tall and somewhat gangly in build, with a cold beige complexion. She has black hair in a pixie cut, and close-set brown eyes. She has a scar on her chin from an attempt to ride a bicycle once.
Personality: She's generally quiet and self-assured, as well as day-dreamy and whimsical. She has the propensity to accept challenges that are way out of her league, like trying to carry ten bicycles at once or convince a complaining kid that orange juice is actually the chocolate milk he wanted by influencing his sub-modalities with her colour-changing power. She doesn't like conflict, and is only really getting involved in this because she's confident no one will notice her at orientation and she loves the subjects offered at Lyndira.
History/background: She comes from a modest family. Her parents run a bicycle shop. Siang Yi has never had much of a passion for bicycles, however. She spent her childhood putting on little magic shows outside the shop. Well, they were supposed to be experiments, but people like watching her use her ability because water that turns pretty colours is fun. When she turned 17, she decided to aim for going to magic school. She's received a couple of rejection letters from Lyndira already, and she's concerned she might be running out of time to get in.
Other: One of her main academic interests is how magic influences visual perception. As a result, she's particularly keen on any potions-related(Potion Crafting) and artifacts-related (Artificing) classes.
She's also trying to write a novel about a collection of sentient writing desks that live in an enchanted forest.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:11 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ahh I love your character profiles, Wisteria and Lim!! :D Mirror empathy sounds super cool, and I am actually very interested in Siang Yi's novel (sentient writing desks 0.0). C:

As for uniforms... hm, I would think so? But to make it a bit easier for our characters to sneak in... what do you all think about having some kind of black market merchant who sells uniforms for Lyndira? (Along with assorted forbidden texts and other artifacts that Lyndira hoards.)
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

218 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 218
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:31 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

i have so many characters i could use for this ahhh but i'll get a character profile up by tonight! (somewhere around there)
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:42 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

@Spearmint, thank you! Having a black market merchant sounds great pretty cool. We have to get supplies from somewhere and I’m sure Lyndria would be stingy.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

218 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

alright! finally finished this

Name: Brynn Thefina
Pronouns: Any pronouns.
Magic/ability: They can mimic people's voices, but only when it's the voice of someone they don't know.
Motivation for going to Lyndira: All the bragging rights. What's cooler than going to a magical academy?

Appearance: Brynn's appearance is reasonably youthful; you could say they have a baby face. They're also not very tall for their age, which doesn't help. They have long, naturally blond hair, but it always looks tangled because they refuse to brush it. Their style fashion-wise changes every other day, and they have a wide variety of piercings.
Personality: They prefer to be on their own, but they'd never pass up an opportunity to make a good friend. They're known to be distant at times, but if they care about something, they'll defend it until people are tired of arguing with them.
History/background: They never really had any issues with their folks. It was a normal nuclear family setting. Sure, nothing about their family was elite, but it was enough. Sometimes, people just need some time away, and that's exactly what Brynn wanted.
Other: They're a bit of a pushover.

243 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:54 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Brynn looks super neat, mothbroth!! ^-^

Here's my character profile for Prehnite~

Name: Prehnite Filosil
Pronouns: he/him
Magic/ability: Divination, but with severe limitations. Prehnite can draw the future whenever he relaxes enough (like when he’s daydreaming), but the problem is, he’s terrible at drawing. (Especially people. His attempts at drawing humans alternately look like lumpy triangles, stick figures, or amorphous blobs.) His parents hired art instructors, but nothing really worked– Prehnite has to focus to draw well, but his divinations only happen when he’s unfocused and relaxed.
Motivation for going to Lyndira: Prehnite’s twin sister, Epidote, was accepted to Lyndira. While their family is well off, they’re not particularly rich, so the main reason she was accepted was because of her power: anything she draws becomes real, with no limitation except her imagination. Art lessons worked on her because she has to focus for her power to work, which means she became even more powerful… Anyways, Prehnite wants to go see how his li’l sis (by like five minutes, Epidote would say) is doing. :P

Appearance: Pale green hair, medium green eyes, slightly shorter than average. Pren often dresses rather sloppily, but he’d be willing to try to wear a uniform neatly, if only Epidote would draw a uniform and acceptance letter for him so he could go to Lyndira too… But nooo, Epidote just had to be honest and honorable and flat-out refuse. Hmph.
Personality: Pren is outgoing, definitely the type to just walk up to a stranger and say, “Hey, how ya doing?” as if they’ve known each other for years. This comes in quite handy whenever he wants to get away with things like taking advantage of a friend-of-the-owner discount. But despite his talkativeness, Pren doesn’t really have any close friendships, perhaps because his family used to travel a lot when he was younger, and just when he’d find a best friend, they’d move on. Pren is quite close with his sister, though. He knows that they’ll still have each other, wherever their family decides to go.
History/background: Pren’s family used to have a bit of a nomadic lifestyle, but recently, they’ve settled down in a city near Lyndira. Pren’s parents have made quite a bit of money auctioning off various knicknacks they picked up on their travels, though of course, it’s small beans compared to the wealth that most of the elite have.
Other: Pren’s father is a rocks and minerals enthusiast, hence the names Prehnite and Epidote. :P

Spoiler! :
Prehnite:

Epidote:

Tumbled prehnite with epidote:

Prehnite (the character):
Last edited by Spearmint on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:31 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Hiii! Are there still open spots? I am interested in seeing if I have a character for this :)

Also, hi! I'm running Lux Academy over hereaaaa so if you want to actually join a magic academy, head on over there :3 /s
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

31 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:41 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Omni and I casually having our hands in two academies XD.
She/They/Fae

218 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

omni only wanting to join because it's a good way to advertise

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:56 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

shhhhhhhhhhhhnooooo

sass levels loading

[he/him]

243 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:16 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

hahaha well whatever your intentions, @Omni, you are still def welcome to join!! ^-^
mint, she/her

=D

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:20 am
View Likes
Omni says...

my intentions are innocent, I swear :)

I am currently focused on Lux Academy, but if a character pops in my brain for another magic school roleplay within the next few days, I shall definitely toss them in here ^^

sass levels loading

[he/him]

31 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Hmm… innocent you say?

That sounds like something someone not innocent would say.
Last edited by WeepingWisteria on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/They/Fae

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:42 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Everyone's character profiles look great! Just popping in to say I like that idea of a black market Lyndira uniform dealer! We could have our characters get in touch with them and procure those uniforms for the infiltration (though I do wonder how the dealer would have gotten the uniforms in the first place? maybe they know the tailor or whoever who makes the uniforms)
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

4094 Reviews

Reviews: 4094
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:09 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Are there any spots left?
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara