z

Young Writers Society

The Rainwater Society [OOC]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:16 am
View Likes
NewHope says...

Like I said Grand I don’t know how Calvinism works but you kind of said the opposite of what Lutheran Churches believe. I’m not saying murders go to heaven I’m saying (I really don’t know what I’m saying… I’ve forgotten…) (Maybe this…) that your sins are taken away. A murderer might not make it to heaven…

Wait… I searched it up… anyone who believes in Jesus has their sins taken away. Anyone else that sins more than they do good goes to hell.
Swan Queen's little sister in-law/caretaker since 2022

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Thanks y’all! I studied Zoo and Wildlife Biology for my undergraduate/bachelors degree. A lot of my coworkers only have their bachelors, so it’s possible to get into it like that. I additionally have a masters of Biological Science (with a thesis in fish biology) so my new job is a higher level job with much better pay that my current coworkers don’t qualify for with just bachelors. So it’s much harder to get into with just a bachelors but possible, but graduate work makes it easier and more lucrative.

And I know nothing about Lutheranism lol but I used to know a fair bit about Calvinism (I’ve forgotten a bunch unfortunately tho). But basically they have five main tenants that they refer to as T. U. L. I. P. Which stands for:

Total depravity (everyone sucks and deserves hell at baseline from the moment they’re born)

Unconditional Election (pretty sure this just means that anyone can be drawn by god into salvation, not just like a certain gender or ethnicity)

Limited Atonement (Jesus’s death on the cross only pays for the sin of the ‘elect’ not everyone)

Irresistible Grace (everyone is predestined either to heaven or hell and you can’t change that)

And Perseverance of the Saints (not sure I fully remember this one but I think it’s just saying you can’t lose your salvation if you’re one of the elect)

So basically god decides who gets saved and who doesn’t. However they still think it’s important to evangelize people and attempt to not sin, even tho they are saved by grace and not works. It makes zero sense. I had serious problems with Calvinism back when I was religious lol

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

I had that bit down I thought--so it would mean we were predestined for paradise but not all of us, right?
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

30 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:12 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

That makes like no sense... you could be the most religious person and not go to heaven... that is... probably one of my struggles with religion...

But it seems we either need to go with a Calvinistic approach or a Lutheran approach. I'd say Calvinistic because from what Shady said I think the piece you wrote fits the most with the description of Calvinism, Grand.

(Wait... I just read the new posts...)

So because of Nicholas' spite for Esmond it seems we've switched to Lutheran?

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:28 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He's always been Lutheran like from the beginning but with a fire and brimstone style, which he pulls from Calvinism.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

30 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:38 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

That's interesting. I've only ever seen two different churches before and only one full-time pastor so I'm a tiny bit clueless when it comes to different styles.

Anyways, should I get a post up about Layla going to church or do you want Nicholas and Esmond to argue some more?

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Probably shouldn't skip that far ahead just yet. She could always just head into town to start out and check out the sights!

And once again I have like no experience with Christianity outside of vague research and a fair grasp on Cathocism; I've been to like 2 non-UU services in my whole life. I trust you since you go to a Lutheran church.

she/her

30 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:05 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Okay. I think that's a really good idea.

My Dad's really devout. He makes notes during services. I can always see if I can find one of those to use for a background.

112 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:18 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Rad.

I know Lutherans are usually more liberal--I think I was going for a more Enlightenment Era Lutheran and that's where I messed up

she/her

30 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:26 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

I honestly didn't know we were Lutheran but yes, we're really liberal. Very different from the type of church you get dressed up for. I think that some of the things that are taught can still be given a twist on them if we want to do that.

112 Reviews

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Who should go next? Moon would you like me to write up my next post or do you have one in mind?

she/her

30 Reviews

Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:15 am
View Likes
NewHope says...

I think I can write up my next post. I’ll have it up by tonight. My Dad has set me work to celebrate the last day of my holiday.

112 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Boop)

she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Do either (or both :eyes: ) of you want to co-write a post with me sometime? I’m trying for the checklist badges which requires three co-written posts and that is not my style so I haven’t done any xD no pressure but if y’all wanna then that’d be cool and helpful ^^

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

I could maybe do that! It makes sense since our characters are in the same place.

she/her

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown