z

Young Writers Society

The Rainwater Society [OOC]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun May 08, 2022 1:24 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

This is where we will discuss plotting, planning and characters for the roleplay, The Rainwater Society. (Unfortunately, all spots are taken.)

--<>--

Character Profile Template

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

--<>--

The Rainwater Society

Spoiler! :

Behind the scenes, the town's Lutheran Church is being used as a front for an occult called The Rainwater Society. It is largely based on water.

Setting

Spoiler! :

The setting is Navajo Springs, an old fashioned town based next to an oasis in the Painted Desert, Arizona. The time period is 2019 - Pre-Covid - though the townspeople act as if the town were stuck in the 1800s. The town's church is Lutheran though it indoctrinates Calvinistic beliefs, there are many racist, homophobic beliefs etc.

The Painted Desert is known for its beautifully banded mountains, caused by erosion which has led to steep sides. The region is very dry and as in any other desert, it is extremely hot during the day and extremely cold at night. It was once home to a particularly lush forest, its remnants can still be seen as the landscape is littered with petrified tree trunks.

--<>--

Character Profiles

Spoiler! :
Played by Moonglade
Name: Layla Norcross
Role: Poet - Just moved into town

Appearance: Her hair is cut in a blonde bob that rests elegantly upon her shoulders. She has beautiful grey eyes and tiny acne scars that have slowly faded over time. She is slender and is quite tall at 5"11.
Personality: Layla acts largely optimistic though she has a lot of buried feelings. She is often too easy to trust and has a traumatic past. At the moment she is just seeking somewhere safe.
Other: Born and raised in England, she has been in America since her college years, since then her accent mostly disappeared.

Spoiler! :
Played by GrandWild
Name:
Role:

Appearance:
Personality:
Other:

Spoiler! :
Played by GrandWild
Name: Nicholas Aspen
Role: Lutheran priest

Appearance: About 5'10, very bony and gaunt. Thinning gray hair and a broken nose. Sometimes forgets to shave--evidence of five o'clock shadow on some days, particularly Wednesdays. Wears a clerical collar and a loose-fitting black shirt and vest, perpetually sweating. Stands up very straight, never smiles.
Personality: Uncompromising moral code, fire-and-brimstone preacher, perceptive but willfully ignorant. Perpetually depressed and on-again-off-again alcoholic.
Other: Strict Calvinist but runs a Lutheran church; disapproves of the Rainwater Society but at this point has no real power to stop them. His power is primarily over the two or three people who still go to his church for Christianity rather than as a front, but one of those people has some political sway.

Spoiler! :
Played by Shady

Name: Biryn Malvado
Role: Occult Leader/ Mayor

Appearance: 6'1"/185 cm, tall and spindly, looks like he doesn't eat much. Angular and dark features, pale skin. Dresses almost always in jet black clothes -- often flowing robes. His hygiene isn't repugnant but it's also not great and he could generally use a shower most of the time.

Personality: He is motivated by power and social status and, to a lesser degree, money. He's very good at politics and emotional manipulation, and has a way of always coming out on top. He's got lots of connections and is absolutely willing to blackmail you into submission. However, he never starts out with that, and will first try to win you over to his side through some good old manipulation strategies.

Other:

Spoiler! :
Played by Shady

Name: Esmond Synakrein
Role: General Store Owner

Appearance: About 6'3"/190 cm and stocky, pale, short nearly-white blond hair, icy blue eyes. He always has his head lifted high. Always. He's very proud and self-confident and usually stoic. There's something unsettling about him, especially when he makes extended eye contact with you. He has a commanding persona and takes up a lot of space.

Personality: Cold and withdrawn, though he only presents as somewhat-aloof by design. He's very calculating and is constantly watching for context clues and nonverbals in order to give him the most information about what someone really means. He views the actual words they speak as of secondary importance. He has his own goals and aspirations and methodically works towards getting what he wants, but he's a very private person, so sometimes those goals take people off guard when he's three steps ahead before they notice.

Other:

Tags
@GrandWild
@Shady

Don't forget to subscribe!
Last edited by NewHope on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun May 08, 2022 9:29 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hey just noticed in your intro @lehmanf that it says south, but it's actually in the American West. Just thought I'd let you know!
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

30 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 3:32 am
View Likes
NewHope says...

Thank you @GrandWild

I have fixed it and added the character profiles.
Swan Queen's little sister in-law/caretaker since 2022

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon May 09, 2022 11:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

I have an idea of who I am going to bring into this because I want to develop them more, just trying to think through mechanics and figure out who would vibe with y’all. I’ll try to write up profiles tonight after work so feel free to pelt me with dead fish just not in the wrist if I don’t have them up by tomorrow morning.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

30 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Thank you @Shady! (Don’t make me come with rosy lipped batfish.)

935 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 6:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Batfish would never do me like that 😤

Also luckily I just got off work two hours early so def should have time later.

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 6:25 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Apologies if I only see it a little later… I have a soccer match and an oral the next day.

935 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 6:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

No worries! I decided to use this afternoon to wander around my town since I just moved here a week ago. So it will still be several hours yet!

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 7:07 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

That’s wonderful to hear! (It’s night here!)

935 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 7:47 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Yeah it’s nice! I usually work nights. They made me come in early today which was rough since I’m on a night shift circadian rhythm. But oh well. They only made me work 6 hours so now I’ve got a whole afternoon to do as I please lol I just found a little key ring with my last name! I’m reveling in it lol

[they/he]

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue May 10, 2022 1:01 am
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

This looks exciting, y'all! Cheering you on from the sidelines!
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

935 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2022 5:51 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Oki dokie ik we need to nail down specifics on what we're doing and such but I promised some character profiles so here we are~

I can 100% tweak these as needed/scrap them if they don't work anymore, but I'm assuming we've still got cult/cult-leader type vibes going on so that's what I'm going for here. But again I'm happy to edit! I just want to post this before I go to sleep (and I very much want to go to sleep).

Spoiler! :
Name: Biryn Malvado
Role: Occult Leader

Appearance: 6'1"/185 cm, tall and spindly, looks like he doesn't eat much. Angular and dark features, usually glaring unless he's intentionally focused on pretending to have a warm persona. Dresses almost always in jet black clothes -- often flowing robes. His hygiene isn't repugnant but it's also not great and he could generally use a shower most of the time.

Personality: He is motivated by power and social status and, to a lesser degree, money. He's very good at politics and emotional manipulation, and has a way of always coming out on top. He's got lots of connections and is absolutely willing to blackmail you into submission.

Other:

Spoiler! :
Name: Esmond Synakrein
Role: Townsperson

Appearance: About 6'3"/190 cm and stocky, pale, short nearly-white blond hair, icy blue eyes. He always has his head lifted high. Always. He's very proud and self-confident and usually stoic. There's something unsettling about him, especially when he makes extended eye contact with you. He has a commanding persona and takes up a lot of space.

Personality: Cold and withdrawn. He's very calculating and is constantly watching for context clues and nonverbals in order to give him the most information about what someone really means. He views the actual words they speak as of secondary importance. He has his own goals and aspirations and methodically works towards getting what he wants, but he's a very private person, so sometimes those goals take people off guard when he's three steps ahead before they notice.

Other:

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2022 6:55 am
View Likes
NewHope says...

I really like the characters… I think the only problem is the occult leader is someone you’ve created to be disliked. I was hoping maybe that could be more of a twist… climax when it’s revealed he is the occult leader. But it’s your character… so don’t worry.

935 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2022 5:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

I can tweak him! I really don’t mind at all ^-^ I assumed occult leader = bad but I certainly have experience with horrible characters being really charismatic so I definitely can go that way here, too! No worries~

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2022 6:52 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Thank you Shady! When shall we start plotting “our religion”?

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling