Young Writers Society

We are the Persistent, We are the Misplaced OOC

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:08 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

@Magebird, I thought your reaction to her was just fine. Jean might just try to communicate with someone that will listen.

I was going to have Jean become Phoenix but I may have her hold off in doing so for now. For those of you who don't know how it works, the Phoenix force is a cosmic being that is only sometimes present in Jean. Phoenix attached herself to Jean after Jean's heart had stopped beating on an ill-fated mission. Basically, she is keeping Jean alive by remaining present within her.

The Dark Phoenix Saga happens after Jean is manipulated into "dating" this really creepy dude. There's a lot more to it, but the cliff notes is that after realizing she was manipulated, Phoenix realizes that humankind is corrupt, goes insane and destroys a planet. Jean sacrifices herself before Phoenix can come back.

What's cool about the story is that Phoenix's transformation to evil happens slowly, so it doesn't completely come out of the blue. It starts off with Jean doing things she wouldn't normally do -- ie, she manipulates a parent who wasn't going to let Xavier take his daughter to his school for gifted youngsters. In another, she temporarily holds back Cyclops' laser eye blasts so they can express how much they love each other and she can, for once, look into his eyes as they do. In yet another, she brazenly and unfairly accuses Cyclops of cheating because he had a conversation to another woman.

The reason I'm explaining all of this is Phoenix is a little bit like the relationship Doc Ock has with the mechanical arms, but it's a bit more complex. At the point I'm writing her at, Phoenix and Jean are one and the same, but sometimes she will be brazen or brash or even angry when she wouldn't have been before. But she's not evil, and Phoenix hasn't completely taken over to the extent that she does when she becomes Dark Phoenix, but sometimes she does. That'll be fun to play with in the RP, I think.

The other reason I'm bringing it up is the costume transformation is a mental thing that happens at the appropriate moment. Jean can change her street clothes too. Also, as Phoenix, she can fly. I'll know when the right time is for her to transform into the RP, but not yet.

The best way I can describe it say you know someone who has cancer. That cancer will always be a part of them, and it has changed their life forever. Sometimes, they'll behave differently because of their cancer. Some days, they may act completely normal, and you forget there's anything wrong. But the cancer is still there. And in spite of their illness, they're still the person you always knew. The analogy also works for a mental or another form of terminal illness.

... hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't. It's a little hard to explain concisely, but it makes perfect sense in watching the cartoon or reading the comics.

Also, Mage, I'm curious as to how Alex knows about mutants if she only follows the MCU -- maybe she knows them vaguely?

I'll give other people a chance to respond and maybe Phoenix will jump into the fight somehow.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

4095 Reviews

Reviews: 4095
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:16 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Oooh, thanks for all the helpful info @Elinor! Hmm...very tempted to answer now...cause this is starting to get quite fun...but I'll wait for the other two to get their posts in first. :D
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:14 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@Elinor, that's what I was thinking! I had her mention them once in her fic before when she was trying to remember what metas were called, so I think she's aware of them but doesn't have too much info on them outside of them being X-Men related.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

218 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 218
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:30 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

oop been busy with work and health but ayy posted
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

@Grimmwolf tis your turn! :D
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:12 pm
View Likes
Grimmwolf says...

sorry for the wait! i posted ^^
they/he

112 Reviews

Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:38 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

No worries! Who wants to go next?
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

4095 Reviews

Reviews: 4095
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:09 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

I did a lil' postie!!
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Who would like to go next?

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If @Elinor is cool with it, I could go next! I want to make sure Jean has a chance to react to Alex's reaction, but I'd be happy to have Alex + Jason react to Zara's comment!

(I also think it's really interesting how she reacted to their weapons. They don't seem too strange in comics, but I could see them being pretty jarring to a character from a more "realistic" live action show.)
mage

queer and here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Go ahead, @Magebird. I'll have Jean catch up. :)

-- Walt Disney

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Okay! I'll see if I can get a post up tonight. :)
mage

queer and here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:42 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hi, I posted! It'd be great to keep moving along. We'll follow your lead, @GrandWild!

Also, here's what the transformation and the dichotomy between Phoenix and Jean actually looks like. Obviously she won't go all the way into space but you get the idea.

The second clips shows the beginnings of the darker side, which I want to dive into down the line.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

-- Walt Disney

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I could post next! I just have a few quick questions about Phoenix/Jean. Is she speaking aloud right now, or is she still talking to just Alex? Also, can the others see her now? I started writing a post, but I realized I wasn't sure if I needed to have Jason freak out at the transformation, too. :P
mage

queer and here.

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Go for it, Mage! I'll make a post after you.

she/her

My existence is political. And love is my statement.
— Kevin Abstract