Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

RP Link

@AlmostImmortal, @SilverNight, @Spearmint

I've gone ahead and made the thread!

Spoiler! :
Here's what we had so far:

Potential plot ideas: Characters each develop a form of magic, and they each have a certain scent that appears whenever they use their magic. (For example, one character might be able to create glowing balls of light, and their scent could be lemon.) No one knows why they have their powers, until they're invited to a particular restaurant by a mysterious person...

Questions or comments?: Would anyone like to create the OOC thread? Also if we do end up going with this plot, I think it'd be neat if the characters had scents that could go together and be used in a recipe! (Like maybe cinnamon + chocolate + pumpkin spice + ginger? no idea if that works xD) But this is just one option, of course!! What do you all think? =D
- Spearmint

I love those plot ideas you have already! here's a couple more just for brainstorming reasons:
- someone gets kidnapped for their powers
- someone tries to use their power to take over the city (or the world, y'know, if they're feeling ambitious)
- uhh combo powers? like cinnamon + chocolate = magic healing???
-Lim

Last edited by Liminality on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:03 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Perfect; thanks, Lim!! ^-^ Also I love the idea of combo powers-- cinnamon-chocolate magic healing sounds awesome! Feel free to keep adding random ideas, everyone!! =DD
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:42 am
View Likes
SilverNight says...

I think these ideas are super fun! While I’m here, I might yeet out some thoughts that might be important/helpful to consider for the planning! c:

- Would it just be these characters who have those powers, or maybe not everyone does? —> in other words, it could or could not be a “everyone has this” thing. Either way, there’s always interesting ways it can go!

- Building on the alternatives there: if this was semi-rare, or only limited to them, one interesting world-building thing would be deciding whether the powers are common knowledge to the world or kept secret— and if they are known, whether they’re viewed as good (= people with powers are revered/honored, seen as better and special) or bad (= magic and powers are viewed as wrong and anyone with them is disgraced and/or oppressed for them by society)

- I think it’d be totally fine if the characters walked into the restaurant without knowing each other despite all being invited there, but it’d also be exciting if they knew each other from something! If powers are viewed in a positive light, maybe they’re a team of superheroes, who knows? 👀 If not, maybe they’re part of a secret group with people who have powers and are trying to stay secret and safe? They could be there because someone’s blackmailing them and threatening to share their secret if they don’t go on some quest or something, in that case.

- In the opposite direction, if it were a case of every person having powers, what types of powers could they be? What came to mind was either that there’s a certain number of power types that exist, and everyone belongs to one of those groups, or that powers are pretty much unique to each person, which would mean the powers of the characters would be less generic and more like us creating a superpower for them. There are certainly more options though!

and that’s my random idea yeet ^_^
"silv is obsessed with heists" ~Omni

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

"y’all we outnumber silver let’s overthrow her >:]" ~winter

silver (she/they)

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:19 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

- I think it’d be totally fine if the characters walked into the restaurant without knowing each other despite all being invited there, but it’d also be exciting if they knew each other from something!

It might make the plot move faster if everyone already knows each other from the get-go? So I think if we'd like to get straight into it, having them all know each other could be a good idea.

- Would it just be these characters who have those powers, or maybe not everyone does? —> in other words, it could or could not be a “everyone has this” thing. Either way, there’s always interesting ways it can go!

That's a good question! I think if it were just these characters, then we'd need an explanation as to why it was just them? For instance, maybe they were all nearby a lab accident or a magic hotspot? Then the "mysterious person" @Spearmint mention would have had to know about this lab accident, etc. and explain it to them.

On the flipside, if it was something everyone had, then we'd need to explain why these characters are meeting each other at a restaurant and there'd have to be a different plot thingy to create tension other than the 'where do these powers come from and why do we have them' drama?

Just a few thoughts~
she/her

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:02 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Sorry for being so late to the party, folks. The whole smell-power thing seems really cool to me. Maybe mint can be associated with forest magic. I feel like evil magic powers tend to be done a lot, so a superhero team sounds really fun. But I'm pretty much down for anything.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

245 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:29 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

A superhero team sounds great to me too! That could fit in with our characters knowing each other from the start ^-^
I'm also kind of leaning towards just these characters having powers, or it being a rare thing, but having powers be common would definitely be another interesting option! Also I'm pretty much a blank for how they got these powers xD A lab accident or magic hotspot as Lim mentioned would make sense-- do you guys have a preference, or anything else to add?
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

135 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:19 am
View Likes
SilverNight says...

No worries, @AlmostImmortal! Glad to see you :)

I think if it were just these characters, then we'd need an explanation as to why it was just them? For instance, maybe they were all nearby a lab accident or a magic hotspot? Then the "mysterious person" @Spearmint mention would have had to know about this lab accident, etc. and explain it to them.

Hmm, yeah! I guess what we come up with might have to do with what type of world it is— like if it’s a fantasy world, a lab accident wouldn’t make much sense. Likewise, a magic hotspot in a modern world would also be out of place! So I think it’d have to match the setting.

Of course, a fantasy world could still have no history of people with powers, it just might have other magic stuff (magical items, magical creatures, magical locations and so on!). So maybe some unlikely event happens to affect the characters and that’s the first time a human’s ever had powers? Something that just popped into my head —> maybe a meteor shower or something (with an asteroid crash maybe) that happened to be magical and bestowed them with some kind of power? That’s kinda random, I admit my idea’s not that great xD

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

silver (she/they)

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:44 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

There's a show I just watched where a meteor shower gave a bunch of people superpowers! That idea fascinates me.
She/They/Fae

135 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:31 am
View Likes
SilverNight says...

…I did not know there was a show, that’s awesome XD

silver (she/they)

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:42 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Yeah! I like the idea, though. What does everyone else think?
She/They/Fae

542 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I'm with the meteor shower idea! We could then either keep it a mystery as to the nature of the meteor shower and make the story goal finding out why, or if we have another story goal we might come up with some lore behind it . . .

I'm thinking some possible origins for the meteor shower could be 1. some kind of magic got trapped in space many years ago and is being released now 2. there's a tangible character/ entity that sent the meteor shower to the planet
she/her

245 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:13 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ooh yes yes, I love the meteor shower idea!! I feel like having some entity behind it, as Lim mentioned, would be super neat, and the story goal could be something about figuring out why this entity sent the ~magical meteor shower~ to this particular place? Maybe they knew this group of people would be there, or maybe it was just random and they were just going to give these powers to anyone xD Perhaps the entity needs their help, or this is an experiment, or something?
mint, she/her

=D

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:23 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

I like the idea of this cosmic being needing these people’s help. Maybe their race is dying out, and this shower was their last attempt of saving what's left.
She/They/Fae

542 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:56 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Oh I love the idea that the entity's race is dying out! Maybe this race naturally has powers associated with scents, and then since the entity gives these powers to the humans, they seem odd/ super.

One question: would some of the scents then be things that are not of Earth? :0
she/her

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:29 pm
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

I don't hate that idea, but then they’d be hard to describe. Though, we could figure it out.
She/They/Fae

No, it's not that you didn't succeed. You accomplished a lot, but, if you want to touch people, don't concentrate so much on rhyme and metre. Think more about what you want to say instead of how you're saying it.
— LCDR Geordi La Forge