z

Young Writers Society

The Lost Soul of Nyr'il [OOC]

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:33 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

Heyo! Here's the OOC Thread for Group 5 from the RP Buddies thingamajig @HarryHardy @ShadowVyper @sakeofvanity05

I'm excited to start brainstorming and get this rp rolling!! Once we figure out our plot and the like I'll update the title and description of this OOC of course.

1/5 OOC posts
Last edited by SoullessGinger on Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
P.S. Remember to do at least one nice thing for yourself today! I’m glad that you’re alive :)
[call me ell, or ellen, or Soulless, or Ginger, the list goes on]
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:42 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Sounds good! Thanks for making this thread! I'm going to go ahead and copy over the ideas @SoullessGinger put in the other thread:

1. our players fall into a book (a magical book that resides in every library that’s more than 136 years old. The library can be on any plane of existence in any time period) They must fulfill the prophecy that is written on the first page of the book, or they can never return to their world.

2. Our players wander into an inn on a cold and lonely night. When they awaken, they find that they’ve been transported to a magical land of whimsy and danger, where a mysterious stranger leaves them instructions to complete before they will be permitted to return home.

3. Our players form a group of new pirate recruits under the infamous Captain Coralbeard, who seeks the everflowing goblet of eternal life (which she suspects lies somewhere deep within the aquatic realm where no air-breathing adventurer has ever returned from).

Does anyone have a favorite among these? Or any other ideas?

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

26 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:45 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

I'm partial to the first one but open to basically any ideas. Plus, thoughts on fleshing that idea out a little more would be very welcome.

2/5 OOC posts
Last edited by SoullessGinger on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. Remember to do at least one nice thing for yourself today! I’m glad that you’re alive :)
she/her

4093 Reviews

Reviews: 4093
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:19 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Hmm...first one and third one is what I'm a little partial to myself :D...but well, let's see what everyone thinks...and then we can start trying to flesh out more details. :D
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:39 pm
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

• the first one sounds intriguing! kind of a jumanji-esque story, if you will.
• I have some ideas that might be worth exploring, perhaps~?
• So, there's this webtoon (a comic) called Ominiscent Reader ~which is rlly good, I recommend vv much~ and I was thinking we could take a page from their book, if you catch my drift ;)
• It's basically about a character that gets thrust into the world of a novel he was reading, and because he finished it to the end, he already knows how the plot will unfurl, and so, he's ahead of the game.
~ *However* the future isn't as predictable as he imagined, for he soon finds out that there are others like him who are aware of the storyline (who have also read the book) and are making changes to the world to fit their likings. Of course, he didn't account for these unknown variables, but he also realises every little decision and action he makes has a butterfly effect, essentially leading to events that have never happened in the original plot. He is changing the course of the story to survive. After all, it's only natural to want to survive :)
• ^If we want to take any of those themes or concepts and incorporate it into our plot, by all means!
• Some more suggestions~
- Maybe the prophecy was about defeating the main 'villain' of the storybook by uniting forces (perhaps creating a superhero team?) against one evil!
...*But* ~here's the twist~ one of the people who get transported into the world decides they want to join the *dark side* (yes, star wars vibes) instead!!
- So this morally grey character basically feels like an outcast, and is manipulated maybe?? into bowing under a Dark Lord or Dark Empress.
- OR this character feels mistreated and wants to take it out on the rest of the world because now that they've been granted the potential for greatness in a fictional world, they finally feel they can prove themselves and their self-worth. Her evil arc will be justified by the cruelty she faced in the 'surface' world.
- We can plan to have them undergo a redemption arc ??

• this is already kinda long, whoops! sorry :3
~ but tell me what you guys all think ! I'd be happy to hear your suggestions or opinions on the ideas I'm considering :}
~ very excited to be collabing !! I'm new to roleplaying but eager to learn :]]]
"It was a great mistake, my being born man;
I would have been much more successful as a seagull or a fish.

~ Eugene O'Neill, Long Day's Journey Into Night

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Oooh, that's a fascinating concept! I think it ties in really nicely to Ell's option #1 as well and I'd be down for something like that. I think we should have some general plot points of where we're heading with all this before we get started (like very, very broad) but I think the ideas have a lot of combined potential.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

26 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:43 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

I LOVE those ideas @sakeofvanity05 ! Especially having other nonplayer characters who fell into this book to interact with. As far as plot points go, I think that knowing the plot of said book might make an RP difficult, since we'd need to come up with a complete story beforehand. I'm working on a little synopsis of the plot, so I'll post it here once it is done and get thoughts.

3/5 OOC Posts
Last edited by SoullessGinger on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
she/her

7 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:09 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

sounds good @SoullessGinger @ShadowVyper !
• It could also help to add that the plot would work in our favour if it were to imitate a common storybook narrative.
• I browsed around for some plot designs, and this website I came across seemed to cover the themes I was looking for: https://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com ... ml#gallery[pageGallery]/2/
^ number 1 and 3 have the sort-of gist of an eminent, adventurous plot structure recognised from everywhere: Quest and Overcoming the Monster archetypes.

4093 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:41 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Oooh, that sounds like it could get quite trippy there...whenever the butterfly effect gets involved, it always does that...but if we can pull off all those details somehow, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun here :D

But yeah, we should probably start thinking about a finalized premise about now...and then brainstorming up an entire plot of a story would come next. I'm sure we can probably get away with a skeleton plot of sorts, with just details that we can show getting changed by the actions of other characters...but anyway...excited to see what that synopsis is. :D
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

7 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 pm
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

@HarryHardy yep ~ liking the direction it's taking :}
I have a few inklings for a plot 'skeleton' ~ but I'll sit tight for the moment.
I'm quite interested to see the synopsis and hopefully, a doable premise. If we follow a feasible outline, we can build onto the design and integrate the additional flair - with 'fourth-wall-breaking' aspects to heighten our heroes' journey~
^I'll post about some thoughts sometime...! The planning phase is always a tricky start, but the wave's a fun ride regardless~

26 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:57 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

Our players are thrust into the world of Nyr’il after being forcefully transported through a strange book in their hometown libraries. They are greeted by the leader of a group of people who are dealing with the same predicament. They explain that the book travelers may only return home by fulfilling a prophecy that would bring magic back to this world that they are trapped in. It disappeared from Nyr’il around 136 years ago after an artifact said to contain the soul of the creation goddess was destroyed. Ever since then, people had been appearing in Nyr’il from all planes of existence, summoned here for this singular task.

They formed two main organizations, keeping their true identities as Book travelers secret, racing against time and each other to return home. Now, our players must delve into a system of secret passageways to retrieve a vital part of the prophecy, before their opportunity to return home is gone forever and Nyr’il is sentenced to an eternity without magic.

Here’s the synopsis. I have names for all the organizations and a lot of detail figured out already. Shall I give the details, or save them for the actual RP?

4/5 OOC Posts
Last edited by SoullessGinger on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

4093 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:55 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

That sounds good!!! Two groups would certainly makes things even more interesting adding onto whatever could be in those passageways...

One thing I'm wondering though is the reason for the travellers splitting into two groups?

ANd oooh...details, I love hearing about those...
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

7 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:37 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

I like the stakes! it's always fun to havae high risks involved ;) the greater the danger, the greater the reward, right?
~ So the prophecy they're trying to fulfill would grant all beings of Nyr'il access to magic in this fictional world?
Does that mean our players are everyday 'muggles'? and the NPCs of Nyr'il that once practiced sorcery are deprived of their powers from the destruction of an ancient artifact: being the source of a goddess' soul? Magic is off-limits then, I assume?
~ I'd love some more info on the prophecy.
~ Racing against each other? If all players have one goal - which is to fulfill the prophecy, restore magic and peace to Nyr'il and escape the realm, what are the motives behind the defiance of other players? - or characters? There'll have to be an antagonist to push the narrative, right? Are we considering the players, then, to be influenced by evildoers and fight for a different cause ? with more sinister incentives? I'm keen to see how everything will play out, but it's looking very compelling!
- By all means! Post some details :}

26 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:42 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

Alrighty then! This is going to be a long post, let me know if I missed any questions.

1. @HarryHardy @sakeofvanity05 @ShadowVyper The reason that I’m currently running with for why there are two groups actually has nothing to do with the prophecy. The founder of Myrrim Tor-Lest (which is the organization that our players get involved with) Jordain Malacarne, and the founder of Vulle Lis’Tra, Calla Astor, were involved in some sort of scandal that was severe enough to cause the rest of the travelers to take sides on. (My idea is that neither side likes to speak about it, and that our players will discover that secret through roleplay, which is why I’m not sure if I want to disclose it yet) of course, the public reason for splitting I’ve included in #6

2. Completing the prophecy of Nyr’il would simply unstop the flow of magic into this world. Think of it like a dam, and the prophecy is trying to break that dam and release magic once more.

3. And no, our players can still use magic, because the source of their magic is not reliant on the goddess’s soul to function, since your characters will all be from other universes. However, the magical power they are used to will be greatly decreased.

4. yes, our NPCs have lost the use of their magic, and as a result, they too are trying to find a way to bring it back. (So naturally, the fact that these travelers can use magic would cause a lot of unrest in Nyr’il, hence the secrecy)

5. Myrrim Tor-Lest is completely focused on returning our lost travelers home. But Vulle Lis’Tra, on the other hand, is made up of those who have no desire to return home and those who wish to find the source of Nyr’il’s lost magic and take it all for themselves, perhaps subjugating all of Nyr’il to their rule. At least, that’s what the leaders of Myrrim Tor-Lest will tell our players.

6. I need some time to actually write the prophecy, because I won’t have access to my laptop til probably late afternoon, but I can tell you how it originated. The writing of the prophecy was the last officially recorded use of magic in Nyr’il. Cyrus Willondew, a young elven seer, was seized by the soul of the creation goddess, Lu’Shyre, moments before her Vessel was destroyed. They were a member of the group of adventurers that set out to complete an earlier prophecy, who were inevitably responsible for the destruction of the Vessel of Lu’Shyre. I actually have a whole pantheon and history of Nyr’il already written, this is one of my favorite world building projects, so if you want even MORE detail, I can also do that.

5/5 OOC Posts
she/her

26 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:18 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

Let me know what else we should go over, because I’d love to get this RP rolling!
Last edited by SoullessGinger on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
she/her

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green