z

Young Writers Society

The Lost Soul of Nyr'il [OOC]

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:00 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

This looks wonderful!! I can already feel how immersive the world is~ and just from its outline! It seems like you've covered most of the premise, so I'm all good to get started.
"It was a great mistake, my being born man;
I would have been much more successful as a seagull or a fish.

~ Eugene O'Neill, Long Day's Journey Into Night

4075 Reviews

Reviews: 4075
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:25 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Ooooh...this does sound awesome so far...also yes...MORE DETAILS...;). But it does seem like that's a relatively solid outline...and a whooole lot of work you've put in there which is awesome!!!

I think we can actually probably create a thread for this now...and maybe think of getting started?? Perhaps a title brainstorming session is in order soon, cause this definitely seems to be enough plot to get the story started :D

Also..I think judging by just how much detail we have in this thing I'm leaning towards this making the most sense as a storybook. What do y'all think?
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:53 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

That all sounds good with me! I can get the actual thread started once we decide on a title. Im kinda fresh out of ideas for the name of this so II’d love some if we wanna get started brainstorming. And @HarryHardy I’m thinking of writing a comprehensive guide to the history and pantheon of Nyr’il so if I do I’ll link it here, and there’ll be NO lack of detail.
P.S. Remember to do at least one nice thing for yourself today! I’m glad that you’re alive :)
[call me ell, or ellen, or Soulless, or Ginger, the list goes on]
she/her

4075 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:02 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

YES

OKii...uhh..lemme yeet out a couple of random ideas I have...uhh..

"Between the Pages"

"Trapped in a Tome"

Uhh...that's all for now :D
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

7 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:14 pm
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

~ Some suggestions for a title :} ~

• A Player's Guide To A Storybook Ending (a little long, but I like it~)
• A Storybook's Retelling (<- one of, if not the top pick - for me, at least - from this smol list)
• Fiction's Fated Finale (alliteration :'))
• A Race To The Grand Finale (idk maybe the combo finale + race is interesting?)
• Prophetic Players (<- short and sweet!)
• The Prophecy's Plot / The Plot's Prophecies (I like the word prophecy :"])
• Secrets of the Script / Secrets of the Soul (cryptic but alluring perhaps?)
• The Lost Soul of Nyr'il (pretty self explanatory)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ooh, I love all this! Those titles are all fantastic ^^ I think my favorite one is The Lost Soul of Nyr'il but I'd be happy with any of them! Excited to get this started!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

26 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:45 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

I agree with @ShadowVyper they’re all really awesome, but my fave is the Lost Soul of Nyr’il. If we’re all ok with that, I’ll go ahead and make a thread and change the OOC name.
P.S. Remember to do at least one nice thing for yourself today! I’m glad that you’re alive :)
she/her

7 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:35 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

sounds good! all green lights ahead!

26 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:36 am
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

OKAY guys, I got it all set up! Feel free to post your character descriptions here in the OOC Thread BEFORE posting in the actual storybook, and then you can get started. A description of your surroundings is included in the first post of the storybook. Basically, your first post should be a description of you finding and opening a mysterious and beautifully illuminated book in your local library, and in a burst of overwhelming music, you're standing in another universe! I'll jump in with the character you'll be interacting with once you've all posted. Annnd here's the link!!
The Lost Soul of Nyr'il

Character Specifics:
You can be from any sort of place- don't be crazy overpowered, at most, the level of a superhero.

@sakeofvanity05
@HarryHardy
@ShadowVyper
she/her

7 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:22 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

~ Character Description ~

Spoiler! :

Name: Acantha Aculeus (first name of Greek origin; name meaning - thorn, prickle | surname of Latin origin; name meaning - sting, etc).

Gender/Pronouns: Female, She/Her

Race: Interspecies Hybrid (Human-Scorpion)

Class: Swiftstride Shapeshifter

Appearance: Tan, slightly sunburnt skin; Natural-born amber hair; Sandstone eyes. Her alternate form will have some features of a deathstalker scorpion (like its stinger, its pincers and skin texture)

Acantha's Clothing Style (w/ desert palette):

~
~
Personality traits: Independent, survival-oriented, self-serving, brazen, gutsy, venturesome, headstrong.

>> Additional Info <<

Her Backstory:
Acantha lived in the rural countryside as a field plower in Arizona. She came from humble beginnings, and was raised by the poor, sickly hands of her grandfather.

Her parents were involved in a corrupt irrigation scheme, and were deported to a correctional facility, toiling away in a prison farm designed for manual labour like logging, mining, quarrying, and ironically, agriculture - the very business that brought their ruin. Acantha was thus taken into the custody of her father's father, Simond Aculeus.

Several years had passed until young Acantha— just entering adolescence— received the terrible news of Simond's unexpected passing, having fallen into cardiac arrest. Upon hearing this, she fled the deserts and took to the bushland, where she embraced the open freedom of the wilderness, undertaking an old-fashioned, survival-geared lifestyle of her own.

After being stumbling across a den of scorpions, she witnessed the birthing of a special, deathstalker breed - which emerged from its spiral burrow and took its first breath of outside air before springing its tail at her and latching onto an opening patch of skin.

Sinking its needle-like aculeus into her leg, the sting injected a magical DNA serum into her bloodstream, its transformation-inducing properties now a part of her system. Scorpion-like qualities took form through a transference process between two separate lifeforms; the unique presence of a scorpion's soul invited itself into Acantha's body, her 'vessel' essentially accomodating for the host and an arachnid companion. As a result, she now carries the additional thoughts of a deathstalker scorpion around in her head.

From thereon, her adventure continues, the liberty of deciding entirely for herself what path in life she plans to lead, forgoing basic living comforts in place of utmost self-reliance; her possession of skills in hunting, fighting, gathering and scavenging have all garnered enough expertise for the profile of a fine survivalist.

Last edited by sakeofvanity05 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

7 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:54 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

hello, uhm- I have a question-
if my character lives in the ~ wilds ~ , do you think I could write it in that she uncovers the book from forgotten, desert ruins? It could be like, an ancient structure that was once a library, but because of wind and sand erosion, it has reduced to rustic rubble and sandstone? lmk if that's ok
~ and also, what's the general setting we're being transported into, if I may ask?

4075 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:43 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Awesome!! I think I may actually create some sort of superhero from scratch for this one....or...well let's see...I have a couple of other peeps I need to flesh out too :D

Also I dunno if you know this..but fun fact...for storybooks, there's a section on the right where you can create and submit character profiles. That way they're all stored there for quick access. :D Ell will have to approve the characters for them to show up but its a neat little extra feature in storybooks along with that very fancy blue button on the top right that lets you quickly navigate between the RP thread and OOC thread. :D
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

26 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:25 pm
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

@sakeofvanity05 OH MY GOSH THAT WAS SUCH A COOL POST! I'm kinda freakin out over here, this is exciting- and the description of finding the library in the desert- perfect, wonderful, so fantastical, and intriguing. All of you guys have complete freedom in how you find the book, where the library is, and what world you're from. It just makes introductions more amazing. Also, at the moment you all are in a coastal city known as Nel Venga. It's pretty dry, like the coast of Southern California. ( and if you're asking about your IMMEDIATE surroundings, I rewrote my original post from a description of the plot to a short description of your surroundings.

@HarryHardy I am so excited to meet whoever you decide to bring to this. AND YES i did know about that very snazzy feature, and I am so excited to get to use it. But i did not know about the fancy button so thank you for that. I still get kinda lost with the tech stuff in YWS Also, I'm working on that world description and will post it as soon as I get finished.
she/her

7 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 am
View Likes
sakeofvanity05 says...

@SoullessGinger thank youuu !! yaaay~
~ oooO California ? sounds interesting! - and also thx for the short description! < do you think I should mention Acantha coming to her senses and taking in the room you described ? I think you did a swell job at the introductory details of our immediate surroundings already, but lmk if I should add anything~

26 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:03 am
View Likes
SoullessGinger says...

Yeah, for sure! Feel free to flesh out the details. The walls are stone, the floor is wood, it’s warm, it’s homey. As long as you stick to the vibe as you describe it, feel free to write whatever you’d like!!
she/her

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore