Young Writers Society

Magic or Modern? [OOC]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:12 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I took some time off yesterday because holiday here in America but I will be on later today to give some thoughts and everything!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

Okay so planning~

1: We can have a roleplay started with what @MailicedeNamedy gave as a foundation, if everyone thinks it's okay.

2: Our character can be in some sort of group against the Orwellian Big Brother state, right?

3:First everyone can have an introduction post of every character. Then the story will start.

So I kinda like the plot that Malice suggested, What are your opinions about it? I am excited for this, I am like, can't wait to collaborate and roleplay with you all!!!
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:22 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I'll be a bit more active here tomorrow evening/night, and I think by then I'll also have given some thought to what kind of character I want. (no matter in which plot it will be set) We don't all have to be here at the same time, do we? Like for creating the characters?

@Vincian: As silly as it sounds, sometimes I confuse July 4th with July 14th, French Bastille Day. (Although I should have noticed it here. :D)
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:07 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I really like the idea that Mailice had, and I think it would be a good plot!

Some people like to brainstorm together, but we don't have to be together to create our characters. I'm taking my driving test in two days, so I'm not thinking about my character at the moment.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

1232 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Good luck for the driving test @Valkyria! :D

160 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:21 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Thank you!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:50 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Alrighty! I am back and around and not getting burned out of my own apartment lol

@MailicedeNamedy your idea sounds wonderful! A story of metal (or perhaps stone?) that absorbs magic is just so a cool concept, and a civilization that has been rushed into modernization is also a cool concept.

So, how are we gonna mold the story into a roleplay? I usually do this by plucking someone small scale out of the overall story and focusing on that.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1232 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:18 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

@Vincian Thank you very much! :D Of course it doesn't have to be metal, any kind of stone will do.

Now you actually have to explain to me how roleplay works exactly. I played DnD far too often into the morning during my university days, but I suppose there are differences. The way you explain it now, we do something like a short campaign.

That is, we start somewhere in the middle of the story? Maybe we already know each other and have gathered some information (e.g. how to fight the bad guy) but still need to prepare? How long does such a role-play have to last? Do we have to finish it in a month or can we do it for longer?

1232 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:44 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I suppose that everyone here has a private life and there are certainly events that are more important than the preparations for a roleplay, but I also think that a certain discipline is necessary to get something going.

I suppose I'm being a bit pushy here, but I also don't want to blow off something that some people were looking forward to being part of. That was starting to sound a bit teacherly here. :D

But I actually have a lot of expectations for this, and I don´t want to be here when I´m retiring in like 40 years :D

166 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:49 am
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

You are right Malice! I also have expectations for this and more I want to work with you all!

So first of all I have a question this plot is going to be in the storybook, Roleplay realmn or roleplay hollow?

Then we can start a forum for this and then decide our characters, right?

160 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:42 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

With the amount of worldbuilding the story is set in, this would be good as either in the role play realm or storybook, I think.

1232 Reviews

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:59 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I think to put some structure in, one would have to consider:
1. from when will we start the story? (Middle or beginning)
2. what is the goal of the story?

And then one would also have to think about who the characters are:
1. what is the goal of each character?
2. what do they have in common / what are their opposites?
3. how do they fit well into the current world?

Since the foundation has been laid with the worldbuilding, I would suggest thinking about which character fits in based on the information given. Some questions can be helpful, such as: What does the character do to earn money? What kind of magic does she / he / they practise? (Should we include rules / laws, such as that one cannot directly harm anyone?) What is the character's attitude towards the antagonist / modernisation? Where does the character come from? Family, age, gender, appearance, hobbies, etc...? Quirks, ticks and special abilities?

I think once we have our characters, it's also easier to start thinking about the plot, what adventures can be experienced and when to start.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Sorry for the radio silence from me for the past couple of days! I have been very busy and have had little time or motivation to get on yewis haha

Really, the biggest difference between roleplay realm and storybooks are the size of posts and the overall pace of the roleplay. I generally prefer storybooks personally, but it's much slower and posts are generally 800+ words. Maybe one post every two weeks once things start moving along (at most!) Realm is shorter but can still be long and it's faster. Given the enthusiasm and excitement to get this started, I'd say we could lean to Realm!

Just a note though that I might not be the quickest to respond unless I somehow find more time in the day haha

Perhaps we could set up a time to hop in a pad to collaborate together? I know time zones might make things hard, but i think it might help out formulate something we can make into the scenario of the roleplay.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

166 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:20 am
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

Everyone of you are right! And I also think roleplay realm would be perfect, if everyone thinks it should be in the roleplay realm, please like the post.

And yeah, we should have a collaboration in a pad, I can arrange it. So okay for everyone's Time zones
Last edited by DreamyAlice on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1232 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:58 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Thanks for the explanations @Vincian! :D

I don't think the time zones need to complicate anything unnecessarily for us. I am quite flexible when it comes to time; (also due to the fact that I am in a HomeOffice and can therefore work on my private PC. :D)
@ImaginativeAlice I assume the time you suggested changes for every user reading your post to the time zone where the PC is located. (For me it's 9 o'clock tomorrow morning). I'm actually available for that time but otherwise, I'm also in CET from 8 pm to midnight every day. (Summertime, if that's important). Maybe it overlaps with anybody's free time.

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart