159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:15 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

@Vincian, @ImaginativeAlice, @MailicedeNamedy

Here's the thread guys!!

Here's the RP: Magic or Modern?
Last edited by Valkyria on Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:18 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Awesome, thank you so much for making this!

Heyo you three!

Also, I moved this to the OOC forum ^^
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:24 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

*title very clearly says OOC*

Me: Guess this thread belongs in the Roleplay Realm

*facepalms*

Oops. Thanks for moving it, Vincian!
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:26 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Haha, it's okay! We all goof sometimes.

Also, heyyy you know facepalm. I forgot that word was a thing for a good bit there x.x

sass levels loading

[he/him]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:33 am
View Likes
Omni says...

So, I believe @ImaginativeAlice and @Valkyria have expressed interest in Modern Fantasy or something of that sort, and I always enjoy fantasy.

@MailicedeNamedy you put in your RP Buddies application post thingy that you also enjoyed writing fantasy. Would you be down for modern fantasy?

sass levels loading

[he/him]

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:41 am
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

Hey there everyone! I hope we all enjoy this!
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:47 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

@Vincian Yes, that definitely sounds very exciting. I think modern fantasy has much more possibilities for development than "simple fantasy". :D
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:55 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Awesome! Modern fantasy it is ^^

sass levels loading

[he/him]

166 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:18 pm
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

So modern fantasy is final!

So guys do you have any idea about what the plot can be?

1232 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:43 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

One could do a classic journey in a modern world or something completely new.

I have no idea how far you can stretch the term modern fantasy, but how about if the setting takes place in a world where magic is still dominant, but new technological achievements (like mobile phones, internet, cars etc...) are created every day?

For example, there is a big company / a person who wants everyone to buy the products so that people don't use magic anymore, (maybe because they themself never knew magic) to be the richest person in the world with the sales. (Because maybe they think that they can then buy "magic". Or something like that... )
Perhaps they also want to "absorb" the magic that people lose in order to become the most powerful person themselves. Perhaps they have designed such a machine to collect magic.
Wow... a lot of perhaps and maybes... :D

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:48 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I like the idea of technology versus magic! Like a sort of new vs old thing. And I also like the idea of modern modern fantasy, where it's basically the modern world but with magic.

What if? there's a new company in town, and they're like "Hey, guess what! not everyone has magic, and that's unfair! We want to make magic accessible to everyone, with technology. All we ask is that you hold your magical friends accountable and ask them to bring in whatever magical items they have to support the cause." or something along those lines.

But in reality, this company is secretly waging war against magical people. Lobbying governments for laws and stuff against magic users, etc etc.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1232 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:39 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

@Vincian

I like your idea of where this is going. But don´t you think it goes too much in the direction of an economic thriller when we start including Lobbying? :D I don´t mind but I think that would get a bit too obscure for a modern fantasy. I mean, where are we going to have our roles in this play? Are we something like a NPO that works for equality for magic-user and non-magic-user? Are we going to fight the evil company and afterwards the gouverment?

1232 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I was watching a short documentary about diamond mines and an idea came to me that I am presenting here. It's just a short thing that I wrote in ten minutes, but from that, we could maybe create a foundation for the story/world and then move on to the characters. Criticism is welcome whether it's good or not. It's just a rough draft.

Spoiler! :
Far away from all the earthly problems, there is a land surrounded by mountains that is hard to find. No man has ever entered the land and returned. But not because he died, but because the land was so peaceful and kind-hearted that everyone who travelled there wanted to stay there.

The name of this land is Iskarlet (pronounced Ice - car - let). It is home to all kinds of animals and plants, vast green meadows and high snow-capped mountains. Many, deep lakes and gorges, valleys and plains made this happy land a domain full of magic and love. The people honoured and feared nature, and even with the magic they had since birth, they still had much to learn in order to understand their environment.

Iskarlet was a kingdom. Every ten years a new king/queen was elected through a tournament, where the most talented wizards from all four corners of the compass came together and showed off their skills to the public. The winner was chosen as the new king/queen and was allowed to move into the wonderful palace in the ivory capital of Ilsbein. There, the person had to vow on the magical book of X (no name came in mind) that he used his magic for good to advance the country.

However, fifty years ago there was a very severe earthquake where the whole country trembled. The sea in the west brought tidal waves and destroyed many coastal towns. Fortunately, the Earth Sages (along with the Water, Air and Fire Sages, the most powerful magicians in their area, they report to the king and are also re-elected every ten years) had evacuated the population.

On investigation, it turned out that far away in the middle of the sea, which was not claimed by any other country, an extinct volcano had emerged. It was an island that aroused the curiosity of the population. A few months after the earthquake, a party was sent there and they found a hollow body leading deep under the bottom of the sea. (Imagine those huge diamond mines in Africa). There were precious metals down there that no one had ever seen before. Upon investigation, the sages found out - who called the metal ether metal - absorbs magic and stores it. While the sages and the king of the time were still puzzling over how they could use this miraculous metal, one person who had helped the search party was already setting up a company to use this island as a mine and sell the metal for his own profit.

The person was the only one who understood that he could use this metal to set himself as the new king of Iskarlet. Despite his few gifted accomplishments in magic, within a few years he became very rich from the metal and created armour that could absorb all magic to become the most powerful person of Iskarlet himself. At the tournament he was victorious and became the king. His first official act was to fill the Sages with his familiars, who had formed the company with him, and to suspend the tournament. He was now king for life.

Within a few years, Iskarlet changed into a modern country populated by railways, automobiles and technical achievements. Behind all this technology was the one company that, with its subsidiaries, controlled everything and everyone, right down to the living room. Be it through listening devices in all mobile phones or a peculiar invention called the internet or cameras on all major roads, the new king created an empire for himself where he used magic to strike down everything he didn't like.

From that day on, Iskarlet lost his splendour, his beauty and his love. The people lived in oppression and fear, forced to buy the products of the company, whose metal slowly absorbed the magic of the buyers, keeping all people under control. The new king crushed the last rebellion a few years ago.

His aim is to control all magic by the state / his company and to make the population dependent on his company's products by regularly introducing new inventions. He captured the once most intelligent magicians for this purpose.

Those who voluntarily gave up their magic became part of the company and were given subsidiaries where they would attract more followers. These people had it a little easier in life.

We would now have to fight with our united forces against the oppression in this "Orwellian Big Brother state" and "liberate" magic as well as the population from this king.

As mentioned, this has all been written quickly, thanks to a rather boring documentary, but I think it gives you a good combination of fantasy and capitalism. :D New ideas ar also welcome.

166 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:56 am
View Likes
DreamyAlice says...

Oh gosh Malice, I have never seen something like this so far. Such a unique idea! I think this can be the foundation of the story.

1232 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:23 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I'm going to assume that Likes are silent consent. :D If not, please report. Because I have no plan how to continue and also find it kind of embarrassing to push myself forward here and come up with ideas.

But anyway; shouldn't we sit down and design our characters now? And then start with some basic ideas to build up a meeting or something like this?

@ImaginativeAlice Thank you for your kind words. :D

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss