Young Writers Society

The Sisterhood Syndicate [OOC]

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:05 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

@Gravity
Hmm, I don’t know. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’m very used to seeing her name as Anna, so it doesn’t look strange to me at this point and I actually feel like I’d struggle to remember to use the alternative spelling if/when I were to mention her in my posts. I’m assuming a few others on here would have the same problem, but I could be wrong since most or all of the other participants might have also thought it was spelled Ana, or might just find that spelling more intuitive. To me though, it does seem wrong for her, not only because I’m accustomed to the canon spelling (and I want to stay true to the canon as much as possible), but also because Ana is a Spanish name and I don’t know if I love the idea of using that spelling for a non-Spanish/non-Latina character. It just seems culturally incorrect—but, of course, it’s not like Disney movies have ever been the most culturally accurate in the first place.

Ultimately, if you’re set on Ana, I won’t say no. But my preference would be to keep the canon spelling—so when you write your first post, if you could test the waters to see if you’re able to make it work with Anna before you decide, I’d appreciate it! :D

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:57 pm
View Likes
Gravity says...

The name Anna/Ana is present in many cultures. I mean, Frozen takes place in a fictional Scandinavian country. Both spellings are technically hispanic.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:00 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

@Gravity
I see what you mean, but Ana is primarily a Spanish or Portuguese name. Some other cultures do use it, but the fact remains that it's the Spanish variation of the name Anna, and while it isn't entirely exclusive to Spanish-speaking countries, it's most often used by Spanish, Latino, and Portuguese people. As far as I know, it's seldom, if ever, used in Scandinavian countries. On the other hand, Anna with two N's is versatile and cross-cultural, and it's a popular Nordic name in particular. Arendelle was based off Norway, and in that country, Anna would absolutely be the preferred spelling. So, if we're aiming for some degree of cultural accuracy (which isn't necessarily our goal but I do think is a worthy one), Anna's the way to go.

And pronouncing Anna like AHN-nah is authentic to Norway and Finland. It may sound odd to English speakers, but that is how a Norwegian person would say the name. (Side note: I'm actually impressed that Frozen was faithful to its Norwegian influences and didn't anglicize the pronunciation of Anna. I've seen very few movies do that, including those that were adapted from Scandinavian literature.)

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:58 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

ayyyyy how we goin
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:24 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Hey peeps! This is just a poke to say that this roleplay has been locked and archived! If you wish to continue the story, you can either poke the DM to see if they want to continue (and then poke a RP mod and we'll unlock it) or start a rp of your own in the same vein. Happy RPing!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing