z

Young Writers Society

The Sisterhood Syndicate [OOC]

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:08 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

First of all, I know nothing about storybooks so if I'm doing things wrong, don't hesitate to correct me. Any advice is welcome, and I always appreciate suggestions!

With that out of the way, welcome to the OOC discussion thread for the Sisterhood Syndicate, my weird lil Disney princess storybook. If you're interested in joining, please post below and claim your princess!

Here are some basic rules, guidelines, and story stuff:

*You can play between 1 and 3 princesses, but no more than 3.

*Your character's personality and background should be consistent with the official canon, however, for simplicity's sake, all sequels that were released straight to DVD will not be considered canon, nor will any TV series, book spinoffs, live-action remakes, et cetera. The only thing that is considered canon to your character's story is their movie and (if applicable) any theatrically-released animated sequel(s)—e.g., Frozen and Frozen 2.

*While your character should be consistent with how they are in their film, you can develop them in new directions—e.g., your character could realize she has romantic feelings for a girl and come out as bisexual. I'm all for LGBTQIA+ representation in this storybook, no matter what Disney has to say. But keep in mind that retconning isn't allowed, so if you decide your princess is gay and her story involves a male love interest, you can't erase that love interest from ever existing, but you could have her break up with him and start dating women instead.
Any changes should be justified and explained within the narrative, though—don't just have an upbeat, perky princess suddenly become somber for no apparent reason.

*The events of this storybook take place after the events of each princess's movie(s).

*At this point, I’m planning for the villains, Iger, WD, and the princes to all be NPCs, but if there’s enough interest in this SB and more character slots are needed, I'm open to changing that. Please let me know if you'd want to play as any of those characters. Furthermore, I've tried to stick with only the characters that Disney considers princesses, or characters that aren't "officially" part of the lineup but should be (like Anna and Elsa), but if you think there are some non-official princesses we should include, feel free to make a case for them.

I know there's more stuff that needs to be established, but I'll leave it here for now. On one final note, I have mixed feelings about including Pocahontas in this, due to the fact that she’s problematic and her film has been disavowed by the Powhatan tribe. However, if anyone would like to take on the challenge of developing her into a more nuanced and realistic indigenous character, I think that would be awesome, and it would be nice to have some Native American representation in this SB. But if anyone disagrees and thinks she should be omitted, please let me know.

Anyway, if you wanna join, just post below with your desired princess and I'll add you to the cast list on the SB page. :D

Princesses currently available:
NONE (but if you're interested in joining, feel free to leave a comment—we might be able to find a role for you!)

Additional rules/guidelines/other info can be found here.
Last edited by deleted30 on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:01 am, edited 17 times in total.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:19 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

This looks like a really cool storybook! I've seen a few other stories where Disney characters are grouped together and/or have to fight against forces of evil, but I haven't ever seen one that makes the princesses the protagonists.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Random avatar

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

Thank you so much, @Magebird! That means a lot, especially coming from you. <33

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:05 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

HEYO this looks exciting and I am interest

Couple questions tho: say I wanna do the canon personalities, but I wanna build on and add to what was already there, such as having Cinderella working through trust issues due to how her family treated her, or have Snow have a bit of an arc where she's trying to learn how to be more wordly to stay safe even when her naturally overly trusting nature is fighting her?

Just all the positive strengths and traits they've already got plus the capacity for negative emotions and some character arcs inspired by what they've been through in the canon
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

Random avatar

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:17 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

@SirenCymbaline -- Yes, definitely! That's the exact kind of character development and depth I wanna see. :D I think there's a lot of room to complicate and nuance all of the princesses, and they can absolutely be darker or more multi-faceted than they are in their movies, so long as it makes sense and doesn't retcon the films. I think after everything they've endured—abusive families, brushes with death, kidnappings, angry mobs, terrifying creatures, and myriad other traumatic experiences—they'd all probably have some issues to work through, and the events of their movies most likely would change them in some way, big or small. And of course they can also change/grow over the course of the storybook, even if that means they end up quite different from the person they were at the start.

59 Reviews

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:53 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

YAY can I have Cinderella and Snow White pls

As for their respective NPC princes, I wanna give them some more personality as well in pretty much the same vein. Like even tho Cinderella 3 aint canon I def wanna use the general idea of that one scene where his dad told him not to go down the stairs and he jumped out the window

I got no illusions about who the real stars are here but there's no reason not to make the princes more fun when they're there

Random avatar

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

@SirenCymbaline, I love everything you just said and I cosign all of it. Such good ideas. I'm thrilled to have you onboard! :smt003

Cindy and Snow are all yours. ^_^

59 Reviews

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

THANK YOU <3 I lok forward to seeing what you'll do with your princesses too

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

Okay, I’m intrigued, and I’m in too many RPs already, BUT SCREW IT I WANNA JOIN THIS ONE.

I do have a question, tho... ya know Pocahontas? Ya know... the Disney princess that was severely historically misrepresented and also just wasn’t exactly Disney’s most... pure idea?

Yeah... how does that work out?
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

Random avatar

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:55 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

@JoyDark, I know I said I wanna be faithful to the canon, but Pocahontas is the exception to that rule. Everything about her, including all the events of her movie, would be fair game to revise. As mentioned in my opening post, I have a LOT of mixed feelings about including her at all, especially since the Powhatan tribe has repudiated her film, but I wanted to give someone the opportunity to make her into a more accurate, nuanced depiction of an indigenous person. Since there's not that much diversity in the princess lineup, I also didn't want to delete one of the only princesses of color, and the only Native American princess.

With that being said, I have considered leaving her out and I would be amenable to that option if others think it's necessary/appropriate. Certainly, if no one is up to the challenge of de-problematizing her—and I wouldn't blame anyone if they're not up to that challenge, it's an intimidating one—then I think I'd have no choice but to omit her. (I guess she could be an NPC but I don't love that idea for a lot of reasons, and I feel like the only way she could be developed into something positive is if one of us devoted time to researching and rewriting her, which I doubt would happen if no one was playing her.)

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm happy to clarify further if it doesn't. And if you think I should take her off the table entirely, I am open to that critique. I just worry that erasing her altogether could be equally harmful? But I might be wrong.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 am
View Likes
Plume says...

Hi! I was eyeing this thread a few days ago, and debating on whether I wanted to do it, and the eventual verdict was yes. It looks like it'll be super fun. Can I claim Aurora?
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

@Plume, absolutely! I'm so happy you decided to join. Welcome aboard! :D

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:02 am
View Likes
Plume says...

^-^ Thank you!! I'm excited to be here!! It looks super promising.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 am
View Likes
rida says...

Also, if I can join, can I be Moana and rapunzel?

What praise is more valuable than the praise of an intelligent servant?
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice