z

Young Writers Society

The Bard's Concerto [OOC]

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:40 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

if we have some bigger plot ideas planned for the future, then by all means we could shorten this idea into mini-adventures.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:50 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

I agree! I like the idea a lot, @Yoshikrab, though it would likely postpone other things that could happen in the story like @Magebird said. I’m fine either way though! c:
"silv is obsessed with heists" ~Omni

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

"y’all we outnumber silver let’s overthrow her >:]" ~winter

silver (she/they)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hi guys! I know I haven't been active with this storybook, but I just wanted to post here to let you all know that I haven't forgotten about it. <3 I have more written assignments than I expected I would have for school, so I haven't really been able to focus on getting my first post up yet. But I'm hoping to get it up sometime in the next week or two!!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

135 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:09 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

That's alright! I look forward to it, though I understand why it won't be until later. <3

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

silver (she/they)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:01 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hi everyone!

It's been a little under three months since I made this storybook. Since I haven't gotten a post up yet, you can probably guess that I don't have the same inspiration for it that I did back when I made it at the end of December. But I know that this is a story that everyone is very much invested in, so I'm really hesitant to completely get rid of.

Instead, I was thinking that maybe it could be a more of a traditional kind of roleplay? I feel like part of the reason I've been putting off writing my first post is that a regular SB post seems too long and daunting. A smaller roleplay post would probably work a lot better. It would also prevent us from losing momentum in between long posts.

What does everyone think of that?

@Valkyria @Yoshikrab @piyaliarchives @SilverNight

(If you don't want to be involved in this anymore, that's cool too!)
mage

queer and here.

135 Reviews

Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:36 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

I would be fine with that! It’d probably be easier to get it started then. :P

silver (she/they)

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:33 am
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I’m cool with making it a role play too!
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

129 Reviews

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:13 am
View Likes
yosh says...

same here!

so i took another nap

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:00 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Since four of us are okay with the switch and I'm not sure if @piyaliarchives is active on YWS right now, I think I'll move this thread over to the RP Realm now.

In the meantime, I'm just going to throw these CPs here. They'll vanish when this is over in the Realm, so I want to make sure we have a copy of all of them to reference going forward. c:

Spoiler! :

Name/Nicknames: Rosaria "Rose/Rosie/Winter" Winterquist

Role: Guitarist

Gender/Pronouns: Cis girl, she/her.

Sexuality/Up for Romance: Aroace, so no on the romance.

Appearance: Rose ultimately dresses for comfort. Her go-to outfit is a combination of faded jeans, a dark t-shirt, a soft, gray hoodie, and her trusty pair of brown leather boots. She also always wears half of a silver best friend necklace.

Outside of her outfit style, Rose has messy brown hair that goes a little past her chest. She usually keeps it in a slightly messy braid. Her eyes are blue, and her skin has a slight tan to it. She's not too tall, but she's also not too short. She's basically average height for a girl her age.

Personality: Depending on who you ask, Rose is either a pessimist or a realist. She likes bringing reason to situations where reason has been mostly avoided. Whether this is by shooting down too-optimistic ideas or coming up with a strategy to handle a conflict, Rose tends to take the reserved, somewhat levelheaded and cynical approach. That's not to say that she comes off as cold and distant; she doesn't. She just has a tendency to express how done she is with the world.

(Her personality is heavily inspired by Misaki Okusawa in BanG Dream!.)

Connection to Instrument: Rose won a raffle with a friend a few years back. The raffle involved basic music gear - including an acoustic guitar. Rose didn't really want that kind of guitar; it wasn't really her style. But her friend wanted her to keep it so they could do duets together, so she did. Even when they went their separate ways, Rose still hung onto that guitar.

(Even though she would have rather played an electric guitar.)

Backstory: Rose's life hasn't really been remarkable. It's just been a normal, run-of-the-mill life. She has two parents. They care about her and she cares about them, but they're not especially close. She's an only child. She spent every year of her life in the same suburban town on the east coast of the US.

The one notable thing in her life was becoming friends with a girl named Anna. The two of them were close for years. Everyone always joked that they were joined at the hip. Anna was really into music - and even more into performance. Even though Rose didn't want to really perform, she often got dragged into Anna's antics.

At some point, they stopped being friends. Rose doesn't really talk about it now. She just goes about her day: going to school, working a part time job at the local convenience store, and heading home early in the evening to watch anime and read web comics.

Other: Even though they aren't friends anymore, Rose still wears the friendship necklace she got for Anna.

Spoiler! :
Name/Nicknames: Alice "Green" Carroll

Role: Drummer

Gender/Pronouns: Female; she/her

Sexuality/Up for Romance: Straight; No

Appearance: Alice has straight, raven black hair that cascades down her back. Her bangs are side-swept, just over her hazel eyes. She is 5'9.

Alice dresses casually, usually in sweatpants or jeans, a hoodie, and sneakers. She loves wearing tie-dye, and she wears a bright blue bow in her hair.

Personality: Alice is spunky, adventurous, and curious. She loves traipsing through the unknown and making new memories. Every day, there's something new to discover for her.

When Alice doesn't want to do anything, she'll curl up by the fireplace and bury herself in a book, wearing her favorite pajamas.

Connection to Instrument: Alice's uncle gave her a little drum set for her eighth birthday. Alice loved it so much even though she didn't know how to play it. She used to play it all the time, every day.

A few months after, her drums disappeared. Her parents sadly told her that it was stolen. It took Alice until she was sixteen to realize that her parents took it because the drums were the only things taken.

Backstory: Alice grew up in a small town in north NH. She knows every nook and cranny of it. When she was younger, her mother read to her every night, and Alice wanted to be a hero like the protagonists.

Her parents fed her growing curiosity, but they knew when to reign her in. Alice, an only child, loves them so much.

Other: Alice started watching cartoons again, and she loves looking for fluid animation or different shots and angles. She also watches a lot of movie reviews on Youtube, so she's started critiquing the movies as well because she finds it fun.

Spoiler! :

Name/Nicknames: Skyler “Sky” Kinsley

Role: Vocalist

Gender/Pronouns: Cis girl, she/her.

Sexuality/Up for Romance: Biromantic and ace, possibly up for romance.

Appearance: Skyler likes wearing comfortable long sleeved shirts and jeans. Her favorite colors to wear are blue and black. She invested in some leather boots that have lasted for a couple years and were worth the expense, in her opinion.

Her blond hair is braided and has a few darker streaks running through it, and it frames her face quite nicely. Skyler has unusual blue-green eyes that tend to catch people’s attention.

Personality: Skyler has confidence, and that confidence doesn’t rely on how others see her. She may seem rather bold at times, but she knows how to treat others kindly, assuming they don’t irritate her too much. When dealing with someone she doesn’t like, she’ll be often turn to sarcasm. Otherwise, she’s quite friendly and sympathetic, with great levels of compassion for those who are struggling.

Connection to Instrument: Skyler’s family never had the money to buy an instrument; otherwise, she would have been very interested in learning to play one. Instead, she discovered her love for singing at her school’s choir. Her voice earned her much appraisal, and she performed at every opportunity. Although her talent was clear, she never got any fame.

Backstory: Growing up, Skyler wasn’t poor exactly— but her father had to work two jobs in order to pay bills and feed her and her two younger siblings. They couldn’t afford any luxuries or vacations. Her parents were divorced soon after her sister (who is 14 now) Kyla was born, and Skyler hasn’t seen her mother since. She has a single blurry memory of her on a summer day, but she doesn’t miss her all that much.

Her life in London only became a real struggle until her father was accused of a robbery he never would have committed, and he went to jail for it. Skyler was 15 at the time. Her brother Ace was just a year younger, and Kyla wasn’t even a teenager yet, meaning they were too young to live on their own and had to live with their aunt, who Skyler did not like at all. She was eventually kicked out of the house after an argument, and she was forced to leave her siblings behind.

Skyler had to rely on her vocal talent in order to make money. She dropped off out of school in order to become a street performer, singing on sidewalks and subway stations. Eventually, she raised enough money to buy a cheap plane ticket to NYC and leave England behind, continuing the same work there that she had been doing before. Relying on donations is an unsure way of making money, and Skyler would gladly jump on a better opportunity.

Other: Skyler also has a love for theater and acting, especially musicals. She has made some money from playing in a few of those. Additionally, she tried writing letters to her siblings after they were separated, but when she never received replies, she was able to figure out that her aunt had been throwing them away before her brother or sister ever saw them.

Spoiler! :

Name/Nicknames: Darlene "Darla" Byron

Role: Bassist

Gender/Pronouns: Cis girl, she/her

Sexuality/Up for Romance: Straight, maybe??

Appearance: Her wardrobe usually consists of expensive dresses chosen by her mother. She wears dark coloured dresses up to knee length with a cardigan in a lighter shade. Her outfits are often made for appearance as she attends her parent's fancy social gatherings.

She wears her dark brown hair down, which gets mistaken for black often. Her gloomy eyes are blue-grey in colour. If you ever see her in public, she is always prim and proper, as opposed to her personality.

Personality: If you ask her classmates, they would refer to her as an "odd person". That would be... right and wrong.

With little interest in school, Darla lives in a world of her own. People wonder why she keeps bobbing her head up and down in class, little do they know that Darla secretly listens to music through hiding her earphones. While in her family everyone favours elegant piano music, Darla loves rock bands.

Her real personality is very opposite to her appearance. If you are not an outsider to her, but someone close who she calls a friend, then you would notice that she is an optimistic person. Very. So much so that she is sometimes a bit annoying with her range of positivity. Basically, she is a golden retriever.

Connection to Instrument: Her old friend, Leo (short for Leonard), always played music with Darla. Darla never took it seriously, but later realized that her heart was only for music, particularly bass.

After parting with her old friend, to remember him, she started bass again. Luckily, many people in her school were also into music, so they started a band. But after many tries and after much positive motivation from Darla, it disbanded because of unsuccess.
Even Darlene got demotivated and later left her love, music.

Backstory: Darla comes from a rich family. Well, not exactly.
The first-ever home that she remembers was an orphanage. Her only friend and almost like an older brother was Leo. The memories of the orphanage that were the happiest were of Leo. He taught her everything, music. And even though not an elegant person himself, he also taught her etiquette and manners.

But this happiness didn't last long. Darla was lucky to get adopted by a rich family. Everything changed, from her dresses to her personality. Good thing was that she entered into a nice family, but her friend Leo wasn't this lucky. He got pushed into dirty jobs, till, he was in criminal records.

Darla knows this, even though she can't do anything, she tries to remember the good times with Leo through a special thing that connected them, music.

Other: Darla fancies painting her nails, always a bright colour contrasting with black.

Spoiler! :
Name/Nicknames: Jason "Minnie" Oakland

Role: Keyboardist

Gender/Pronouns: Male-- He/him/his

Sexuality/Up for Romance: Bi and probably open for romance ig

Appearance: Jason is african-american and has short, cropped hair. He has a muscular body, wide shoulders, and large hands. Upon close inspection, he has kind, soulful eyes and a gentle touch, which he uses to play piano with graceful skill.

Personality: Despite his muscular, footballish appearance, Minnie is actually pretty shy and awkward. He grew up with an abusive uncle and homeschooled until high school, where he is currently a sophomore. Minnie was always nicknamed "Minnie" by his cousins because he was afraid of many things as a kid. He grew up with the name and it stuck, so now he doesn't go by Jason anymore. Minnie also has exceptional talent for piano, which is how he convinced his uncle to send him to high school. Minnie enjoyed high school because he was never made fun of-- he looked like a football player.

Connection to Instrument: Minnie's piano was actually owned by his uncle, who had some skill in the instrument. However, his uncle abandoned the instrument in the basement after Minnie's uncle started gambling and drinking, turning into a different man. Minnie found the shabby piano when he was very young and practiced it day and night just for the fun of it. One day, his uncle found out Minnie desperately asked his uncle to teach him. His uncle reluctantly agreed. The piano completely broke after a month of intense practice. However, since his uncle was poor, they couldn't afford a new piano. Minnie, who had already become accustomed to playing the piano day and night-- it was his only comfort-- worked part-time jobs at the age of eleven and earned enough money for a cheap, used piano by the time his twelfth birthday came around. From then on, he continued to nurture his talent with increasing speed and intensity.

Backstory: Oops. I MIGHT have explained the entire backstory in the "Connection to the Instrument" and "Personality" . . . whoops . . .

Other: Minnie is actually from one of my novels (A sci-fi one). Uhhhh. idk what else.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The thread has been moved! I need to edit the character post later so it's easy to navigate, but I can do sometime in the next few days. c:

I should have my first post up by the end of the week!
mage

queer and here.

129 Reviews

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:12 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

awesome! C:

so i took another nap

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't have a post ready to go just yet, but I do have a fun little ooc question that was inspired by a conversation in the Victorian Dives ooc thread! What kinds of music do you like/want our characters to play at some point? I'm falling in love with rock and techno-style music, but I'm pretty much interested in any kind of music that has a good beat and a strong, fun voice.
mage

queer and here.

129 Reviews

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:54 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

someone use baby sweet berry love pls

um idk what minnies song would be

so i took another nap

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:14 am
View Likes
piyaliarchives says...

@magebird
Sorry I haven't been active lately as my exams are going on. I think it is a good idea to move this story to roleplay realm, so it can continue even when we are busy or not active. :3

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:28 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

That's okay, @piyaliarchives! I totally understand - I'm just glad you're still active on YWS. <3 <3

I hope those exams are going well !!
mage

queer and here.

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland