z

Young Writers Society

Runeseeker (DT)

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Hello everybody! My name's Chaser, and my cohort @Europa will be along shortly! For now, let me dump the lore on you again, for any help with character creation:

Rune Magic:
Spoiler! :

The power of runes are descended from three ancients. Each of these Ancients themselves had a specific purpose in creating these runes, handing them down to be used by the multiverse. None of the names of these Ancients are known; their names themselves are forbidden runes of untold power.

Spells can't be performed without a Rune. In order to activate a rune, the caster must tap into their own energy.

Runes are engraved into talismans, which serve as the medium through which a caster casts their spells. Because this attunement is necessary for efficient casting, talismans are often objects that the caster holds dear. The caster taps into their own power, but the strength of the talisman draws it into the rune. Most casters only learn three or four spells in their lifetime, since mastering new spells requires a lot of energy and patience as they learn the nature of the spell. Mages can only cast one spell at a time for certain durations depending on their energy level.

Some casters use multiple talismans with the same rune. Similarly to drinking through two straws at once, this allows them to repeatedly tap into their magic supply. Using too many runes will wipe the caster out, which can be dangerous depending on how much energy is used.

A rune engraved in the body is considered a dangerous technique, forbidden by most. The caster runs the risk of using up their entire vessel of magic, permanently damaging their soul.

School of Making
- descended from the Ancient of the Shield, deals with conjuration magic. Mostly used for defense, casters can summon objects and create things from energy. A conjurer's energy aura is unique to them, and takes on physical properties according to their personality. Conjurers are taught that the world is an extension of their inner being; the nature of conjuration allows for limitless self-expression. The stronger the will and identity of a conjurer, the more powerful they become. In the face of adversity, they are peerless in strength.

School of Changing
-descended from the Ancient of the Swords, deals with evocation magic. Evokers are taught to influence their surroundings, to draw from their resources and create action. The primary evocations are based on heat, light, and lightning, each of which creates raw power for the caster to wield. The greater elements of evocation deal with the fundamental forces of the universe, like magnetism and gravity. Each evoker is taught to enact change by their own two hands; due to the proactive nature of their runes, evokers are often the most outspoken of casters.

School of Seeing
-descended from the Ancient of the Scroll, deals with divination magic. Diviners are masters of the threads that weave throughout time and space; it is divination magic that allows for the travel between dimensions. Diviners are attuned to the very nature of the multiverse, fostering a special link that confers their abilities to view space and time, even warp it to some extent. Diviners value this multiversal attunement above all else, and have the most ascetic lifestyle of the three schools. They have an endless drive to learn, and train up the wisdom to sustain it.

Dimensions
Spoiler! :

Tabula is an artificial dimension created by conjurers. The tall, marble constructs serve as a powerful example of conjuration magic. The dimension is home to many, but travellers are also drawn here due to the sheer expanse of people, all of differing status and work. It is said that those who come to Tabula are remade along with the area. Tabula is also home to the School of Making;

The earth of Tabula itself is a malleable spell that can shape to the whims of high-level conjurers. Only a select few are given the privilege to shape this terrain.

Raza is a dimension of unbound, limitless life. Those entering from other dimensions will find themselves as small as insects in a world of gigaflora and fauna. Much of Raza is a nature preserve, as the wildlife found there cannot be encountered anywhere else. The people living there have adopted a lifestyle akin to woodland sprites; they sequester themselves away from vicious predators. Because of the magnification of nature, this dimension has become home to the School of Seeing, the members of which often live in treetop monasteries.

Limnus is a dimension of countless small planets. They all orbit a single, violet star, which shines across the galaxy. The star, called the Allsister, emits blustering winds of oxygen that toss around the planets, making them collide; however, the same thing that throws them into jeopardy also sustains their life, as many fungi can be found growing on these miniature planets, their spores scattered by each collision.
This tenuous dimension could only be home to the School of Swords, the students of which employ their powers to change the courses of these many worlds.

Orduna has long been considered the melting pot of the multiverse, but in geological terms, it could be considered more of an oven. Underground cities house most of the population, as the surface world is extremely hostile, scorched by lunar storms.

Orduna is a dimensional hub, home to many diviners. Because they can travel anywhere from here with relative ease, this is where the police headquarters is located as well was the largest guild of Scriptors.

Orduna is renowned for its unique crystals, some of which comprise the ceilings of the underground cities. The crystals from Orduna's moon in particular have the curious quality of amplifying light to deadly amounts. Whenever a meteorite crashes into the surface of the planet, they are highly sought after.

Eridus is a dimension of fire and volcanic rock, a land where only the toughest creatures survive. The days are scorching, while nights bring freezing cold. While most of the world is a firey desert, there are oases dotting the land where most civilizations exist. occasionally, there will be eruptions from one of the land's many volcanoes, filling the sky with ash and causing rivers of lava to flow through the desert.

Races
Spoiler! :

Tieflings: Hailing from the hellscape dimension of Eridus, Tieflings are known for their cunning, as well as their unbreakable spirits. They carry a firey pride in their heritage, with an emphasis in honoring those who came before them. Most Tieflings would be able to tell you their ancestry as far back as their roots--from memory. They are most attuned to the shield aincient, fighting with mind and instinct.

Elves: Spread widely throughout the multiverse, but its said they originated in Raza. Elves have a deep connection to the world, and their value of knowledge and spirituality easily attuned to the Scroll aincient. There are many elves in the ranks of the Scriptors, tirelessly searching for new information on the ancient rune magic embedded in the many worlds.

Humans: Like Elves, humans can be found just about anywhere, but no one knows quite where they came from. They are known for their resilience, with a diverse and often clashing society, but they share a common steadfastness in whatever their foundation may be, and are attuned most easily to the Shield rune.

Dwarves: Originally from the depths of Orduna, dwarves have industriously spread to every point in the multiverse. Their neverending quest for adventure attunes them to the Swords rune, and they are always moving on. When two dwarves meet, it is often a long-overdue reunion, celebrated raucously.

Changelings: Called changelings because of their shapeshifting abilities, this group cannot be traced back to any known dimension. Most of them dwell in Limnus system. A changeling is naturally bright pink in color, a trait that does not change through their many forms. Their gelatin-like bodies are capable of forming anything, and a changeling will often express themselves through the shapes of their being. Because of this constant self-actualization, they gravitate towards the Swords rune, but this is a preference as opposed to an affinity; changelings are thought capable of mastering any rune.

Centaurs: Contrary to some beleifs, the wayfaring centaurs claim they, not the elves, are the native race of Raza, however, though they have a rich history passed down through generations-old tales, there is very little written record and no concrete proof to back this claim. Centaurs are travellers, wherever they haven't been, they've heard about through stories or song, and their free spirits attune them to the scroll ancient.

Discord server coming soon! If you have any questions, contact @Europa or myself!
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:37 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

I have arrived! Actually I arrived yesterday but I was so busy working on my CP I forgot to say so. That said, mine will be done either tonight or tomorrow, and I’ll be captaining the ship and filling out the log from here out.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:57 pm
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

I’m really interested in this! I need to give some thought to the type of character but I’d love to be a part of this!
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:35 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

That's great to hear, @winterwolf0100! Welcome aboard.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:49 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@winterwolf0100 are you joining as a Pirate or Privateer?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

177 Reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:29 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

@winterwolf0100 How's the character sheet coming?
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

33 Reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:54 pm
winterwolf0100 says...

I’ll be joining as a privateer! I’ve been busy but I’m working on figuring out a character sheet! It’ll be finished really soon!
he/she/they

177 Reviews

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

@winterwolf0100 let me know if you have questions or need any help!

33 Reviews

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:12 am
winterwolf0100 says...

I apologize that it took me so long, but I (finally!) finished my character sheet and am going to transfer it from Google docs and turn it in now!
he/she/they

177 Reviews

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:27 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

@winterwolf0100 it's approved!

For our next steps, I'll link the WFP. To stay in the LSS running, I've set out a loose plan for which we can try producing 10 posts per week. If that's unfeasible, we'll shift down, but for now, we'll see how much firepower we've got.

https://europa.writerfeedpad.com/26

Since WFP is funky, here's the discord server as well.

https://discord.gg/PcbkuPF

378 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:50 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@Chaser can you put the word count at the bottom of your post? It'll be easier for me to track that way

sass levels loading

[he/him]

177 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:26 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

sure thing @Vincian

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Also, just a hint, if you dont believe you can get to the post count for this week, you all have enough words to split your posts in half and for it to count :D

sass levels loading

[he/him]

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:03 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Hey guys! I'm tallying up word/post count statistics for LSS, and I thought you'd be interested in seeing this SB's stats so far:

The blue cell indicates a collaboration post, and although it says 8 posts for Week 1, we can assume that it hit the 10 posts because of the collab post. But in the future, make sure to break down the word count of collaboration between the authors so I can add it in accordingly :) you guys are on track, though! It also amazes me how the end of the week deadline gets you to pump out posts so fast haha
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:30 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Hey peeps! Just letting everyone know that this roleplay has been locked and archived! If you wish to continue the story, you can either poke the DM to see if they want to continue (and then poke a RP mod and we'll unlock it) or start a rp of your own in the same vein. Happy RPing!

sass levels loading

[he/him]

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus