Young Writers Society

An Unexpected Time {OOC}

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:02 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

ALRIGTTTYYY BROSSSS

sound and i spent an hour or so in this pad writing the ~final~ post. please feel free to make any edits to your character's lines/descriptions/whatever and we'll schedule another time to get together (when everyone can!!) :D

the post we were working on below:

Spoiler! :
THE FINALE

Only minutes after Bo, Magnolia, Liam, and Levi began messaging each other in the present, each of them suddenly heard a knock at the door, and found that a letter was left for them, with a plane ticket enclosed in an invitation. The invitation was brief, but unmistakable.

Meet me at 1409 W Terrace, Milthes, OK
Saturday, 4pm
Tickets enclosed and paid for! Excited to see you.
-Adeline Hagen-Sommers

It was a little cryptic, but considering they'd been in the Oklahoma only moments ago, they all knew who the letter was from - and it was easy to explain how quickly it had gotten to them.

Time travel, obviously.

When each of them landed in Oklahoma, they all found themselves walking out to the departure station at about the same time. With surprise and confusion, they all greeted each other, comparing their invitations to one another's until they saw an old, vintage car roll up to the sidewalk and roll its window down. In the front seat sat Adeline - but she looked different. This Adeline was several years older. Her hair was not as bright red as it used to be, and a few wrinkles showed themselves on her forehead, but this Adeline was no less radiant than her past self.

"I see you guy's haven't aged a day," Adeline said with a smirk. "Get in!"

"Wait, you-you're--" Liam stuttered.

"And you don't look a day over 30," Levi said with a smirk in return. "Seems a little odd, considering--"

"OooOOooOnly a few years have passed," Bo interrupted, glancing at the people passing around them. There weren't many people gawking, but Adeline's old car was getting a few looks. That, and they probably looked like a peculiar group.

"Yeah, Adeline," Magnoila said with a sarcastic smile. "You look good."

"Is no one going to explain anything?" Liam asked as the others started piling their luggage in the trunk. "Wait, is this the same car?"

"Sure is!" Adeline said in a chipper voice. "Now hurry up so we can get out of traffic."

Liam and Levi quickly slid into the back seat and Bo opened the door for Magnolia to get in next to them. When she was good, he closed the door and hopped into the front seat next to Adeline.

"I'll explain things on the way over," Adeline said, glancing into the rear-view mirror. "But I want it to be at least a little surprise."

The nearest airport to the small town of Milthes was about an hour away, so Adeline had plenty of time to talk. Between the five of them, Adeline was the only one really having to play catch up, since, for the rest of them, they'd all seen each other only a few days ago.

Levi was the most exhausted out of the five of them since his connecting flights from Britain, to New York, to St. Louis, all the way into Oklahoma took almost twenty-four hours. About fifteen minutes into the drive, he fell fast asleep between Liam and Magnolia, but Magnolia told Liam that if Levi started leaning that she wasn't going to be his pillow. Liam seemed to begrudgingly accept it when Levi slouched to his side with his head on Liam's shoulder.

While Levi was fast asleep, Adeline started to tell them about her past twenty or so years in the past. It was strange to see her so soon (and so much older), but she seemed excited to tell them all about her time with the Sommers family, and Rosie - as she called her - in particular.

Liam went on and on about how hard it had been to explain to his parents that he was going on a sudden impromptu trip across the country, and everyone seemed to want to hear Levi's story of what he told his own family, but he was out for the count. But they figured they would hear it later.

Bo and Magnolia didn't have too much trouble since they were both living on their own. They just had to take some time off work to make it work out. Bo mentioned having to bribe a friend to cover his shifts, but he seemed to be joking about it more than anything.

As the drive went on, they watched as the scenery began to change, and it started to look a little familiar. The land was still flat, but up ahead they could see a small town.

Or at least, what would've been small in the present, but was much bigger than it used to be.

They passed a sign that read: Welcome to Milthes, and they all looked at each other while Adeline just sat quietly, grinning to herself.

"Are we going to Sommers' old house?" Liam asked.

"I doubt it's still there anymore," Magnolia said. "It probably got torn down because it's a fire hazard. It was really cluttered, from what I remember."

"And it had low ceilings," Bo commented.

"Hey Adeline, were people shorter 100 years ago?" Liam asked.

Adeline just laughed. "You really haven't changed," she said.

"That's because it's been like, a week!" Liam retorted, which only made Adeline laugh more, and Magnolia and Bo laughed too.

The laughter seemed to wake Levi up, though, and he stirred, looking around groggily.

"Are we there yet?" Levi asked sleepily.

"Almost," Adeline said, and the others couldn't help but notice that she was driving through the town, and not into it. She took a turn down a small, paved road that started winding out into the country. The fields of grass gave them a familiar feeling, and eventually, they spotted the farm in the distance. The old farmhouse itself looked almost exactly like they left it. Liam was the one to point it out first.

"You're taking us to the farm!" Liam shouted the obvious.

"I'm still confused on how Adeline's not a hundred years old," Levi said, still sounding half-awake.

"Oh, she explained that when you were asleep," Bo said. "Turns out, they kept the time machine. So Adeline just traveled to the future to meet us after spending a few years in the past. Not too complicated."

"But where's Rosaline, then?" Levi asked.

"You can't just ask that," Magnolia scolded under her breath.

"It's fine, Magnolia," Adeline said, shrugging, "I thinks she passed in 1992. Myself, on the other hand, died in 1995."

There was a small silence in the car as it pulled up to the front of the large farmhouse.

"So... who lives here now?" Bo asked quietly.

"My great-grandchildren, probably," Adeline said as if she said it everyday.

"Do they know we're coming?" Magnolia asked. "Sure would be a big surprise if they didn't."

"I checked. They're in Cancun," Adeline sighed, "Apparently my family's Cancun people now."

"Cancun," Liam echoed under his breath.

"So your family is..." Levi trailed off as everyone started getting out of the car.

"Rich?" Liam finished for him.

"With fifty years of making some cash money with stonks," Adeline chuckled, amused with her own 21st-Century lingo, "sorry, haven't used words like that in a while. Anyways, some people might say we are."

...to be continued...

Reviews: 4
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:03 am
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

That's awesome! Them meeting finally and everything, its awesome!!!!! Also- I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it. I slept through my alarm clock.
Hi, the name is Jasmine, but you can call me Jaz! Nice to meet you :D !

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:01 pm
View Likes
Corvid says...

i also slept through my alarm, sorry about that.
this is great! i loved the bit about adeline and her stonks! i dont have any edits that i can think of at the moment
"yeet"
- albert einstein

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:52 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

THE FINAL POST?!?!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@vincian YES!!!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

142 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:45 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

aaaaaaah yes @Vincian!! it is the last one! it's sort of weird thinking about it tho?? like i thought we just started it but somehow it's been nearly nine months since the last ship sailing stuff already

142 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:03 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

heyyyyyyyy does anyone have time within the next few hours/tomorrow to work on the post?

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:47 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

i was on a plane lol

142 Reviews

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:35 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
hopefully none of you are on planes this time but are any of you free this week to finish up the final post??

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:50 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

this saturday i can!

5 Reviews

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:07 pm
View Likes
Corvid says...

I'm working this weekend, but I'll be available on thursday and friday!
"yeet"
- albert einstein

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

i could make thurs evening work!

142 Reviews

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:48 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

ya'll still down for tonight? would you be free in a bit?

5 Reviews

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:26 am
View Likes
Corvid says...

im free
"yeet"
- albert einstein

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon