z

Young Writers Society

An Unexpected Time {OOC}

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:50 pm
View Likes
Corvid says...

my bad, i'll write up something quick before 9pm!
"yeet"
- albert einstein

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:24 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@LZPianoGirl No worries! I need prodding otherwise I don't keep track of things.

@Corvid You can do it!
We were born to be amazing.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:41 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

omg lol glad to see this got worked out when I woke up haha

YOU GOT THIS @Corvid!!!

Poke meeeee if you want help collabbing I'm also in the pad that's open right now
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:10 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

omg THAT'S WILD, we're really on a roll

ALSO OKAY LZ CORVID AND I WERE CONSPIRING BRAINSTORMING for a minute in the current active wfp party and I wanna share it heeeeere - so bear with me as I barf it all out.

Okay, so corvid left it open at the end of their post w/a car approaching the gas station - thinking it could maybe be a cop car >_> .... <_<

If we want more conflict, besides the obvious "we need to get back to our regular time" we were thinking we could play into the whole draft-dodgers thing, especially since corvid said the mechanic at the gas station seemed like as snitch. If we want that to be a plot point of conflict maybe some [or all?] of the dudes could actually get caught? And they would have to escape jail. It would be interesting if Bo had to pull out skills from his criminal background and erryone just be like "How do u know how 2 do dat."

Tenyo: ^ I love this idea. Also, especially because I'm not sure how much a dollar is but there's definitely something suspicious about being able to hand over that much freely in 1943. It could even be that the people who live in the house reported the robbery of their clothes (and truck.)

Maybe our crew drives off from the station before the cop gets there, but the mechanic snitches to the cop and while our guys think they're free/they got away, the cop starts to tail them from afar?

So what can happen is, they use the map, they find E. Cherry Street, finally roll up to the address. Get to the door, get inside, get as far as introductions - since the scientist will recognize them (since he planted the notes on them in the first place) - and then there's a knock on the door. ITS THE COP.

Depending on how we characterize the crazy scientist guy, he could be like "I'll go handle it" - I imagine he has to be way too old to be drafted, which is why he ain't out to war and is doing crazy time experiments lol. So he opens the door. Cop is like "Hello Mr. Sommers, How are you?"

You know, typical polite 1940s respectful old man conversation but of course he gets to: "Are you alone right now?" and starts pressing. And Sommers is like, "Oh you know! just me and my thoughts!" Taps head. But the cop pulls the classic cop and is all: "Then i guess you wont mind if I take a quick look around just to be sure." And scientist is like *eyes go wide* O h YES SURe UH

MEANWHILE, in the background - the group is all trying to lay low in another room, but they can hear the convo at the door. I imagine Bo would step in at this point in terms of directing/what to do.

Corvid and I also said it would be funny if like, Liam put a lampshade over his head to hide and was like "act natural." Lol.

Meanwhile Bo is *stealth mode activated* and starts telling everyone to follow him as he quietly makes his way out back to the back door. Tells everyone not to touch anything and be as quiet as possible - b/c he doesn't know how thorough cop will be. They just know they gotta be fast.

Corvid and I also decided that Bo would offer first to lead Magnolia by the hand, so they can get out of there faster, but then will upgrade to piggyback ride HAHA

Spoiler! :
bo: "we need to get out of here. stay quiet. dont touch anything"
mags: *ahem*
bo: "can i lead you by the hand, mags?"
magnolia: idk man you gonna put a ring on it too
bo, desperately trying not to laugh because this is a stressful situation and he needs to keep it together: how bout a piggyback ride
adeline: what was that about a ri??--
mags, probably interrupting: [wheeze] lead the way my guy
bo, squatting down and tapping mags shoulder so she can like, find him: "climb on"
levi, probably sweating: HURRY
mags, climbing him like a koala: broooooooooooooo

So Bo carries Mags, they hurry out the back door on light feet, and I imagine the backyard maybe has like a grove of trees around the fence and they hide in there and lay low. Bo will def be like, watching and waiting with the kind of vibe that he has done stuff like this before.

The cop eventually comes out to the back porch-

Scientist: "Will you be needing anything else, sir? can i get you some water?"
Cop: "No thank you. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day, Mr. Sommers"

Adeline probably starts to rush forward once cop goes back inside but Bo is like "No! wait" and they wait until they can hear the front door shut and see the cop car pull away before sneaking back to the back to the house.

Sommers: "Well this might make things more complicated for us"
Adeline: "YEAH no kidding"
Sommers: "We probably cant get apple pie :("
Adeline: "Are you serious"
Magnolia: *contemplates smacking him with her cane.* but hes old so. :( no smacking today
Liam: "As great as pie is, we were kind of hoping you could actually just... help us get home, you know?"
Sommers: "Oh. yeah. right."

And they talk things-needed-for-repairing the machine. You know. Plot and things, yes.

I imagine tho, going out to get those things might be trickier now that the boys will have some eyes on them, so i can see mags and Adeline being sent out to like, go get the frisbee while the boys stay back to take the engine out the truck. Bo would actually know how to help w/that and idk about Liam and Levi. But I'm sure Sommers will put them to work. It's the epitome of "are there any STRONG BOYS in the room to help me stack chairs" except its to build time machine.

142 Reviews

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:13 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

goodness you've put more work into planning this SB than I have xD

I totally love that idea! And to answer @Tenyo, a dollar in 1943 was $15.21, so they paid $44.70 for gas, which isn't that much but maybe the guy was like "bro why are they shocked about the gas prices" and such and such. I was thinking the scientist would not be like the typical crazy-Emmett-Brown-scientist guy but maybe more like a sweet old man, who seems a tad off and has some secrets.

I'll try to get a post out by tomorrow evening! I think I'll write to the part where they get to the guy's house and are like "uhm mr scientist sir there's a cop following us."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Ahh I love that idea! A sweet old man scientist :,) i like that better

AND YAYY I look forward to your post!!

Reviews: 4
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:16 pm
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

Can I say Liam hiding under a lamp shade is probably one of the most Liam things someone could do.
Hi, the name is Jasmine, but you can call me Jaz! Nice to meet you :D !

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:27 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

YES YOU CAN - I’m so glad it’s in character haha cause I thought it would be hilarious

Also okay instead of sleeping my brain keeps THINKING

What if while Addy and Mags are out purchasing frisbees (and maybe pie for fun,) the cop comes back around to check on th house

Let’s say, maybe Levi is inside, helping Sommers fix some things with the time machine, and Liam and Bo are out back taking the truck apart. I figure they’d drive the truck into the backyard for more privacy, since in my brain there’s like a hedge of trees around the yard

Maybe Sommers and Levi don’t notice because the cop doesn’t annoynce himself this time, and instead comes back around the house and spots Liam and Bo

I feel like a few things could happen

Bo would try to sell that Liam is a lot younger, too young to be drafted - or some kind of lie/excuse to get Liam out of it. Doesn’t have to work but he’d try

Maybe Liam and Bo get arressted and taken to the local jail (probably smallerb/c smalk town) and in for questioning. I feel like Bo would get hit harder with the questions and suspicion because of his overall appearance. Liam might be able to gain some pity because he still looks young and is a lot less physically intimidating

Meanwhile, at the house, Levi and Sommers could run out to go check on Bo and Liam’s progress and then realize they’re not there. Look around, possibly see signs of a strggle if they’d look for it

Then Addy and Mags can come back with the frisbee and pie like “how’s time machine progress” and they can be like “great, but.... Liam and Bo are just. Gone”

And I feel like process of elimination would rule out the only option they can think of, and that’s that the police got them

Cue dread :(

I feel like Sommers would want to keep working on the machine because if/when they can get them back, they would need to leave asap! But he would probably be stuck in a rock and a hard place about pulling strings with the cops

Meanwhile, Bo can be back in the cell with Liam, planning an escape. Bo will probably have to muscle his way out of something. I wonder if because he is a big guy that they’d have more cuffs/restraints or cops around tho cuz he just looks sketch without trying unfortunately

As a note I don’t think whencthey’re initially caught that Bo would fight the cop because where there’s one, there will be another? It might buy them a little time, though... guess it depends where we want to take it

And also depends if the cop has backup, or, you know, guns

I need to rememebr that Bo WOULD grab the gun from the glovebox of the truck

Also, they’re getting caught not just for draft dodging? but also stealing the truck

Lowkey also wondering — they woke up there with the papers from Sommers.... did Sommers knowingly place them there? Or was that just the funky time machine making it all go weird? If it’s the latter, how do the notes get on them?

Perhaps I am thinking too much into this
I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR GUYS’ THOUGHTS

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:07 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I think we could slow down a bit? Heading straight for the scientist is an easy shot, and I feel like there are a lot of fun things we could get up to trying to find our way around especially with the cultural differences and misunderstandings that could occur between the two time periods.
We were born to be amazing.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:14 pm
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

Yeah. I love the idea! But I also think first wandering around might be better.

142 Reviews

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:06 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I love your ideas sound! I do agree with @Tenyo that maybe they wander around for a bit, go to a diner or something, so maybe I'll put that in my post.

Also, this was Muhammad Ali's punishment draft-dodging, so maybe we can base Bo, Levi, and Liam's punishment for "draft-dodging" on this if we need to:
On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years.
This was the only one pre-2001 I could find, so we can just convert the money back to 1943.

I'll get the post out by this evening, I'm just in school right now!

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:52 pm
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

Wow. I found this:
By the summer of 1944, 63 had been arrested. Shortly thereafter, another 22 were jailed.

At the mass trial in 1944, the 63 men were convicted and sentenced to three years in Federal prison. They were denied a hearing before the Supreme Court.

From this website: https://www.google.com.ua/amp/s/prologu ... -1944/amp/

It's 1944, not 1943, though, and I believe it's about the immigrants who were not yet citizens defying the draft.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:56 pm
View Likes
JasmineFelicia says...

Also, random fact: The Vietnam War had some of the most problems with draft dodgers, just found that out

142 Reviews

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:43 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Oof sorry if you all get a notification that I posted. I typed like two sentences then instead of hitting "Save" I hit "Submit" for some reason.

ALSO police cars in the 1940s and early 1950s (at least in according to the police department of Jefferson City, Missouri) were black and didn't have many add-ons so I doubt our characters would be able to identify the car as a police car. PLUS they were older (and by older I mean by 1930s because people couldn't get new cars during the war) so they may just be like "huh that's a nice sort-of-different-looking-but-not-really (body shapes and such differed a lot from the 30s to 40s, depending on when in the decade you were), ominous looking car"

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues