Young Writers Society

The Beach [DT]

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:22 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Sweet!! I'm cool with it being modern day as well, but I'm open to hear if Valkyrie has a suggestion :)

*shamefully had to Google description of Gilligan's Island >_>*

I like the idea of a shipwreck though! It would make more sense then than magically appearing on the island, and using an airplane crash may result in some lawsuits with Lost. :P

It could be a situation where there were a bunch of people on the boat, but only our characters survived. Now the question would be what kind of boat it'd be... could be a cruise ship, or friends on a fancy yacht trip gone wrong, maybe fish boat, or biology sample boat (clearly I know nothing about how people use boats lol). I think deciding this could help with our character's background a bit.

I'm not sure what kind of character I'll throw in, but I'll probably throw in someone who will complement our cast!
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:34 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

I was going to go the route of suggesting that others had died! I like the idea of it being a cruise ship! That could potentially be a lot more traumatic and interesting for our characters. It could be a smaller ship, say around ~700 people (passengers and crew) so we don’t give ourselves too much of a headache, but nonetheless. We could always say there were other survivors, but for some reason our characters drifted away from the wreckage and didn’t get rescued.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:53 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Yes!! gosh that would be so traumatic. imagine being excited to go to a cruise with your loved ones and then the ship crashes and you're stuck there.... with all your loved ones ded. or maybe they got rescued but you didn't make the cut.

I predict so much angst
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

4096 Reviews

Reviews: 4096
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Y'all got room for one more crewmember?
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:08 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

It would be an honor to have the mega-reviewer Prince of Darkness on board with us! :D

We did a bit of brainstorming for the direction we want to take this, so feel free to give it a looksie and let us know if you have any ideas :')
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:13 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

whoops probably should have tagged you there haha @harryhardy
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

We're so happy to have you @HarryHardy
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

4096 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:29 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Thanks guys! :D

I'll go read all that now...xD
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

hahaha the tldr is basically that we all have new modern-day characters who went on a cruise ship that crashed/became shipwrecked near a nearby island (details still not clear) and our characters are some of the survivors. It's traumatizing but luckily the island is plentiful, and if they can get over the fact that people died >_>, it's seems like a paradise. Or... NOT???? *cue creepy music*

yep that's what we have so far

While writing that out, I think it'd be cool to have the setting be at the Burmuda Triangle! (quick reference here if you don't know too much about it) so they could be sailing to the Caribbean but their ship sank for some weird reason... and maybe the phenomenon that sank their ship comes back in the future IDK JUST THINKING OUT LOUD
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:00 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

So, I was thinking that there is a terrible storm that shipwrecks our characters on the island. And their paradise is caused by supernatural forces. Maybe the forces are the ghosts of past crashes in the Bermuda Triangle.

I have nothing else, but what do you guys think?
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

4096 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Ohh...that's so much easier. THANK YOU

Definitely sounds like a whole lot of memories and crying may be involved...also BERMUDA TRIANGLE...YES...I support this one...also lol my next SB is pretty much this but with more sea monsters and other things that are canon in my world..xD

But it all sounds great...and I would definitely love to create a new character for this. :) Also creepy...ghosties...can we?

Edit: @Valkyria beat me to the ghosts...
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:17 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Oooh I don’t know anything about the Bermuda Triangle, really! I’ll do some research into it. :D And welcome @HarryHardy!

-- Walt Disney

4096 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:25 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Thanks! :)
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:30 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

CREEPY GHOSTIES YES.

It would be very cool to have some characters from all sorts of time periods be a victim of past wrecks. I like the idea that they're the reason for the crash too!

Oooh I have a vague idea on the bigger underlying plot behind the ghosts but I don't want to get too ahead here or be too spoilery lol

BY THE WAY @Elinor I was talking to my old pal @veeren about this idea and he was interested in doing a lyrical version of LSS and then the idea came up for him to be a ghost who only talks in poetic riddles xD I know you only wanted four characters but he'd be a pirate and a support character that will help our characters with clues and stuff. Plus it'd be entertaining comedic relief lol. Let us know if that's okay!
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:32 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I'm cool with it! The only thing is that I don't this to get too off track and I wanted it to stay relatively serious. Comic relief is good but as long as it services the story and isn't zany for the sake of being zany. :)

Maybe he could play a fictional pirate that infamously died in that region centuries before?

-- Walt Disney

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100