Young Writers Society

The Beach [DT]

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hey guys. WFP isn't being cooperative with me so I created a piratepad for us to plot! I'm making it the end of 2021 so we can mostly ignore COVID and because cruise ships ought to be running by then. @Carina @veeren @HarryHardy @Valkyria

Let's go ahead and add stuff there so we can keep all in one place and any questions we can ask there!

Also, would anyone be opposed to having this be a storybook? I'm wondering because RPs need 4 posts per week, wheras SBs only need two and I think there would be more flexibility about collaborating on posts in a Storybook. And because I think we're all creating original characters it makes more sense a storybook.

But I know you were looking to do something more as a RP Carina but I'm cool with whatever! I've found RPs and SBs tend to be similar and often what separates them is mechanics.

https://pad.riseup.net/p/thebeachlss-keep

I also was thinking the ship could be called the SS Anastasia, I was thinking less of the Russian princess and my love of her and more of how the name itself literally means rebirth/resurrection and because ships are feminized.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

4101 Reviews

Reviews: 4101
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:18 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

I've got no issues with this being an SB..:)

Also I love the name for the ship.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:20 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I'll look at the pad after class, but I'm okay with an SB.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:25 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Yay a plot pad! I'll check it out when I'm on my computer this evening.

So I talked to @Omnom about possibly switching back and forth between RP/SB because I understand that there will be times where we'll have to collaborate more and thus have longer posts, but at the same time I really like having a casual faster-paced environment of shorter posts to see how other characters react.

Turns out switching back and forth for the word/post count requirement is too much of a hassle, but he let me know that a loophole is double posting! So if we do collaborate on a post and it's 1k words, instead of submitting it as 1 post and be sad that you're way over the 250 word requirement, you can break it down into 4 posts so you hit the weekly 1k word goal. As long as we hit our weekly word goal, that's all that matters.

So we can have the leniency of having smaller posts in a casual environment while also be able to have longer posts in a collaborative environment! Best of both worlds, I say. :p
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:32 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Sounds great to me! I also suggested SB because I liked they have a specific page for characters (there isn't a such thing for the RP Realm) but what we can maybe do is write our bios and create a character page as the first post when it comes time to creating the actual topic.

-- Walt Disney

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:37 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Oh man how I wish the character section also existed!! The first page with a list of characters is a great idea though :)
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

147 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:56 am
View Likes
Carina says...

I finished outlining my character! I can cook up a CP after we all outline a general idea of our characters :)

we're on good track to the LSS start date <333 !!!

Ellie and I also talked a bit on the pad, and to keep things moving forward long-term while also staying collaborative, I was thinking we decide the general plot of the SB and then the four of us can take turns leading the details of the plot. That way it's super collaborative and we all wrote an original idea of the story :D
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

4101 Reviews

Reviews: 4101
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:50 pm
KateHardy says...

That sounds like a great idea! :)

I also put down a bit of an outline there.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:15 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Your characters look great, @HarryHardy and @Valkyria! I think we'll be a good group.

Carina and I were talking a bit and we were thinking we could start on the boat. Our characters happen to be in the same place that breaks off from the rest of the ship when it ends up sinking. I was thinking we could be in the spa, since from my past experiences on cruises it's usually towards the back of the boat, on the observation deck and never very crowded.

Carina I know your character is a dude but maybe he needed a massage? Or a mani/pedi we don't judge. :P

A storm (even a really bad one) might not be enough to sink the boat but I was thinking there could be some kind of whirlpool? We could even not be alone- say there are several other NPCs in that area but maybe we all grab onto something and end up floating to shore.

Thoughts?

-- Walt Disney

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I'm fine with the characters in the spa, and the ship sinking from a whirlpool!
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:31 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hey guys! So I was working on writing a bit more of the backstory. I could be overthinking this, but it occurred to me that ships, especially bigger ones, usually take a long time to sink. If the force of the storm broke off the spa area right away, our characters would likely be killed. So read what I have and let me know what you think/or if its too convoluted. We can add it to it more later too!

I kept it vague so our characters have no idea how we survived, and figure we can fill in the mystery later.

Regarding the cause of the sinking, the other thing that came to mind was the Lusitania. That was 1915 and there were enough lifeboats for everyone on board, but it sank in a matter of 15 minutes because it was torpedoed (by contrast, I think the Titanic took 4 hours to sink). So maybe our boat was intentionally targeted? Thoughts?

-- Walt Disney

147 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:59 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Hey, he went to the cruise with his wife, so spa day is not off the table. ;)

I've got to deal with some work headaches today asfsgdhhdjdjdk but I'll give more detailed thoughts tomorrow! I did read the other characters real quick and loved them :D it's funny how there's a spectrum for pure creative writing on one end to pure STEM/hands-on work background on the other. So it'd go Moira, Elizabeth, Susan, then Jack lol anyways
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:09 am
View Likes
veeren says...

HEY GUYS sorry for the super late intro but i read through everything and added my character to the pad
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Hey there y'all! Just wanted to double check with everyone :D It says in The Port that you are all Privateers. @veeren I know we talked privately about you being a Pirate, is that no longer the case?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 am
View Likes
veeren says...

@omnom i'll definitely get back to you on that by the end of today
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford