Young Writers Society

The Beach [DT]

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 pm
Carina says...

{{ A LSS ROLEPLAY }} — (( ROLEPLAY THREAD )) — [[ PAD ]]

It’s 2021, the winter holiday season and the SS Anastasia is set to depart on a ten day long cruise throughout the Caribbean from Miami, Florida...

The ship belongs to a small cruise company called Argonaut Cruise Lines, based in Greece. It's no Royal Caribbean or Princess, but they're known for high quality service and have a small fleet around the world. The cruise ships are smaller to give what Argonaut calls "adventures" a homier, more personal feel.

You're one of 700 people aboard the Anastasia. You booked the cruise because you thought it would be a respite from the struggles of your daily life, and because Argonaut has a glowing reputation. It might be a bit pricier than most cruises, but from the food, the entertainment, and the sights to see, you decided it was worth it. And you decided on the Caribbean because it's cold where you're from, and you wanted to be warm.

It will be a chance to get away, and for the eight days, everything goes perfectly. The food is the best food you've ever tasted. You may not have your phone or access to the internet, but there are nightly plays and concerts, even movie screenings, so you don't even miss it. Your texts and emails can wait, and you take a respite in not knowing what's going on in the world for a week.

And the excursions are beautiful. White sand beaches. Turquoise water. There's swimming, hiking, kayaking, sunbathing, and the charm of the local towns.

It's a Saturday. A day at sea. Tomorrow you'll have an excursion day in the capital of Puerto Rico, San Juan. And then it's back to Miami. Back to your daily life. It went way too fast. But the day at sea is one final chance to enjoy the pleasures of the boat.

It's a normal afternoon. Maybe a little overcast and gray. You heard it might rain, but you aren't too worried about it as you treat yourself to a day in the spa. Your guests decided not to come with you, and you're looking forward to reconvening with them for a formal dinner in the ship's dining room.

But something terrible happens when you're in the spa. It quickly begins storming, and it's clear that this is no ordinary storm. Thinking fast, you do your best to remain in place. After a few minutes of the force of the storm throwing you back and forth, The Captain quickly comes over the PA to declare an abandon ship.

There's a problem. The storm has thrown debris in front of the entrance and, by all intents and purposes, locked you and the two spa workers in. There are life vests in the spa in case of such an emergency, and you throw them on. You try to get out, but it's no good. The spa is already beginning to pool with water. Once you're submerged, you're not sure how much time passes. It could have been a lifetime, but somehow, you haven't drowned. But you accept your death.

The next thing you feel is the warmth of the sun on your skin. You're laying in the sand. You're still wet, but the sun feels good. You open your eyes and see the three other passengers who were with you at the spa, but not the spa workers.

The last thing you remembered was being certain you were going to drown...

You look around, and see you're in paradise.

But something is terribly wrong. The island you washed up on is uninhabited. You know everyone will assume you were lost at sea.

And you only have each other.

╔═════════════════════ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ══════════════════════╗

T H E . C A S T

╚═════════════════════ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ══════════════════════╝

Spoiler! :
Name: Moira Kimberly Holtzman
From: Born in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. Currently living in New York City.
Occupation: Receptionist at a Manhattan luxury gym by day. She spends her nights and weekends writing poetry and short stories, whenever she can motivate herself to do so.

Appearance: Moira is petite, at 5'2. She has shoulder length black hair, bangs, wide blue eyes and freckles. Obviously, surviving the shipwreck changes her.

Before // After

Personality: Moira can be abrasive when you first meet her, but that's really a wall that she puts up so that other people don't hurt her. She's been through a lot tin her life, and knows that the world can be a tough place. Because no one stuck out for her growing up, she doesn' feel like the world owes anyone anything. This can be interpreted as coldness but to her it's practical. Past all of that, she's a warm, caring and empathic person. If she allows herself to trust you, she will be ride or die, all the way. She tries to look at the big picture of life and not get too caught up in things that don't matter.

Likes: Her favorite writers are Jack Kerouac, Dylan Thomas and Aldous Huxley, and ignores people who try to tell her they were just moody white men. To her, there's a deep truth in their writing. She also loves Bob Dylan and is fascinated with the Greenwich Village art scene of the 1960s.

Beyond her art, she likes baking (any dessert food, really), wine, jogging and travelling. She's not huge into fashion or makeup but loves getting dolled up when she has the opportunity.

Dislikes: Fake people. Materialism. People who are in love with the sound of their own voice. People who talk during movies. Music of the last twenty years. So yeah, people pretty much suck? Also, she's getting really tired of New York City as a whole and is thinking she wants to move sooner rather than later.

Cruise Background: Moira is on the cruise with her best friends Anya and Jill. Anya is recently engaged and the girls planned the trip as a last hurrah before Anya goes off and gets married. Secretly, Moira would have rathered they went to Hawaii, but Anya and Jill didn't want to spend multiple days at sea and she was outvoted.

Still, after months of enduring her terrible job, the cold and a bad roommate situation, the only thing getting her and her friends through was the trip on the horizon. As much as she loves her friends and is happy that Anya is engaged, she wants the same thing for herself. She hoped to find a cute guy to to have a hookup, but other than a flirtation with an Irishman at a bar, nothing of the sort happened.

Spoiler! :
Name: Jack Hodgson
Occupation: Part-time HVAC-electrical-plumbing technician, part-time stay-at-home dad

Appearance: Standing at 6'3" [190.5 cm], Jack towers tiny-Olivia and has exercised enough to be able to easily swoop her up and pick up heavy objects, but not enough to ever have abs. He works outside a lot, so he's got a bit of a farmer's tan going on, fully completing the dad bod experience. He has dark hair always cut short and a pretty healthy beard that he maintains. He has a soft smile and chocolate-colored eyes hiding behind round black-rimmed glasses, but his hands are the complete opposite: rough and calloused. When not wearing his work uniform, he's usually lounging around the house with shorts and tees, only wearing button-ups and slacks when Olivia makes him go to a fancy event.

Before // After // IRL

Personality: introverted; thoughtful; forgiving; independent; tends to take care of things for other people before they even have to ask; doesn't like to be the center of attention; ADHD "always have to be busy" kind of person; gives unsolicited opinions; inadvertently tries to "fix" everything; hates confronting uncomfortable situations head-on; not very emotional; pretty oblivious to social cues

Likes: playing with his kids, home improvement, woodworking, browsing the internet, video games
Dislikes: drama, social media, deadlines, math, staying still, not knowing what to do next

Family: Jack is married to his wife, best friend, and high school sweetheart, Olivia. They're both like yin and yang and opposite sides of the coin, but it's because of it that they make a great team. While Jack takes care of the kids and brings in some quick money, Olivia is a theoretical physicist at a university, performing research and teaches every once in a while. Meanwhile, Jack is an engineering drop-out since he can't handle the deadline or math, but he is very good at working with his hands and often helps Olivia with her experiments' set-up since she barely even knows how to use an Allen wrench. Their marriage is as strong as ever, even when they're sometimes stressed rearing up two daughters, Maxine and Sophie, ages 8 and 5. They're a bundle of joy, and Jack loves playing with them. He hasn't always taken the best care of his health, but now with two kids, he has become more of a health nut, vowing to live as long as possible so that he will be there for them as long as possible.

Cruise Background: Jack came to the cruise with his wife so they can have a nice relaxing week without screaming children running around the house. It also happens to be their ten-year wedding anniversary, so he's going to try to be more romantic than usual. (Which is not at all, in case you were wondering.)

Other: Unless he is working with machines, Jack is always wearing his wedding ring, a simple gold band.

Spoiler! :
Name: Elizabeth Hamilton (Eliza)
From: Born in Concord, New Hampshire, USA. She currently lives on MIT campus in Cambridge, MA, USA, and she hopes to move to NYC
Major/Minor: Neuroscience/Science, Technology, and Society

Appearance: Eliza is 5'11, one of the tallest girls in her class. She has black, waist-length hair, which she cuts after she gets shipwrecked. She usually puts a bow on it. She has green eyes. She is the second child, and her father wants her and her older brother to help him a lot. So she's developed some muscles, although they are not very noticeable.

Before // After

Personality: Eliza is extroverted, optimistic, deeply loyal. She stands up for herself. Her chemistry professor shamed her roommate's boyfriend for hanging out with his girlfriend instead of focusing on his classes, but Eliza stood up for him. They both got in trouble. She tries to live a healthy lifestyle, but she's taking so many classes because of her major that she gets stressed out really quickly. She tries to make a good impression, and she tries to make a situation funny if she finds something scary. She's kind, and she doesn't get mad too often, but she has a limit. And she will blow up.

Likes: Animals, Spring, reading, animated tv shows, comfy clothes and pjs.
Dislikes: Ignorant people, her chemistry professor, really hot or cold weather, blankets falling off

Cruise Background: Before they go off to senior year of college, Eliza, her roommate Martha, and Martha's boyfriend, John want to spend one week of peace before classes dehumanizes them.

Other: She used to be a Girl Scout. She's the President of the Debate team and leads many activism groups at MIT. Whenever she gets any spare time, she writes fiction, and she even publishes them in the school paper. She is a chocoholic, and she always carries around a cup of tea.

@HarryHardy — Susan Reyana Danvers
Spoiler! :
Susan Reyana Danvers(HarryHardy)
Name: Susan Reyana Danvers

Appearance: She's exactly 5 feet tall (not a millimeter/ 0.039 inches) more than that. Shoulder length bright red hair (outrageously red to the point that someone would be skeptical if its real). Blue eyes. She's about average size for her age, not muscular but not exactly a walking skeleton either. She's also very pale.

Before // After

Personality: Susan is quite shy and has to seriously pluck up her courage to actually start a conversation. She's not the greatest at making friends and hasn't really found anyone that wanted to be genuine friends with her. Most people are only friends with her to get help with their work. And after discovering recently that she's lesbian its made her even more awkward around people.

She's very loyal to those she cares about and likes nothing more than to see them happy going out of her way to make them feel special when she can and so she absolutely pampers her little sisters and is very close to her parents.

Susan tends to have a very positive outlook on everything always finding happiness even in something as simple as a cloud in the shape she likes. This along with her parents pampering her quite a bit has given her a very innocent outlook on life and she hasn't really experienced too much hardship besides being lonely due to her lack of proper friends.

Likes: Mathematics, Reading, Writing, Spending time doing all sorts of silly things with her little sisters

Dislikes: Subjects that require you to memorize a bunch of things (Biology, Chemistry), Large groups of people, People that try to use her as an answer guide, Very loud people, Bright Sunlight (oh wait a minute...they're going to be in permanent bright sunlight aren't they?...did someone bring a hat?)

Cruise Background: She's on this cruise as a last bit of relaxation before attending college. Her mother stayed behind with her two younger sisters but her father (Rest in Peace) is with her on this cruise. She's missing her two sisters terribly but is enjoying the peace and break from studies.

Other: Susan is very good at math and most sciences in general and her parents want her to go onto become an engineer but personally she wants to be a writer and plans to do it at least part time while in college for an engineering degree.

Despite being really shy and sometimes closed off to most people simply because she's too scared to strike up a proper conversation, she's hoping to meet someone that can be her friend or maybe even something more. She craves closeness although she's too scared to really express it.

Spoiler! :
  • Goes by Cap, Sir, or Mr. Morgan (just saying his name is considered disrespectful)
  • Died over 300 years ago and has been haunting ever since
  • As a pirate does, his main goals in life were to plunder, rob, and steal all that he could in the name of wealth and fame. He spent his entire life on the sea, following in the footsteps of his parents. They, as he eventually would, died together when the seas claimed their ship as its own.
  • He has a sort of sentience that allows him to communicate with the living. He doesn't, however, have any interest in befriending them, but rather uses them as vessels for his own enjoyment as he's stuck in the afterlife for all of eternity.
  • He speaks solely in rhyme and lyrics, often trying to confuse those listening to him. He is a jokester by heart, and is neither friend nor foe to anyone that happens to be a passerby.
  • Being that he is so old, he often gets confused by some modern day technology and slang. Please do not hate him he is trying his best.

Appearance
Last edited by Carina on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

147 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:27 pm
Carina says...

So this is probably the first time ever that the DT was made before an actual SB/RP, lol.

*tags @Elinor*

ahoy matey! Figured we can use this place to discuss plot in an open space so others can join in if they'd like. Do you want to elaborate on your idea? :')))
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:34 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Yes.

So far it's vague, and I was imagining it would be titled "The Beach". (I actually posted this as a roleplay a few days ago, but I decided to hold off so I could use it in LSS.)

The idea is that there are four of us (if Carina and I join, then we'd need two more people) who wash up on a tropical beach one day. It's a paradise, except none of us remember how we got there. That's pretty much it right now, and I have a few theories/ideas about where I want it to go that I'm happy to brainstorm.

And that's all I really have at this point. The one thing I'd want it to do is spend some deciding as a group who are characters are going to be and then shape the direction from there.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Hey! The LSS Port looks pretty cool, and I’ve stumbled across this section. Since you’re looking for more people, I’d like to join.

Spoiler! :
@Carina, thanks for tagging me!
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

147 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:53 pm
Carina says...

YAY VAL I'M HAPPY TO HAVE YOU <3 feel free to post some ideas!! nothing is concrete yet

Repeating what I said in El's PMs here for posterity, I think that's a neat idea and am getting some vibes from the Lost series! So there'd be tons of drama with a slice of unsuspecting magic-realism in there for some plot twists.

I'm also getting some dystopian vibes where the characters realize that the paradise isn't as great as they thought it'd be. :o

Part of me wants to have characters that are somehow connected rather than be complete strangers but I'm not sure how to go about doing that...hmmmmMmm

I think it'd also be cool to have each character be a job trope! Like medic, teacher, biologist, engineer, etc. so then they can really question why they're here lol
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:57 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Yay @Valkyria! Excited to have you! I added you to the Port thread. Will you be a Pirate or a Privateer?

-- Walt Disney

160 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

When I read that, I got Where the Wild Things Are vibes. In the movie, the boy thinks the place is great, but the longer he stays in it, the darker it becomes.

So maybe, we could have, I don’t know, fluffy animals, but they become meaner. But the change is so discreet.

160 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:58 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I’ll be a Privateer.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:11 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

hecc yee no pirates on this ship

fluffy animals omGGG can't unsee cute fluffy rabbits becoming evil vampires

idk how that kid thinks the big animals are his friends bc I would be TERRIFIED

BUT YEA I LOVE THE UTOPIA-TURNED-DYSTOPIAN IDEA. *biased because I have a novel idea that's basically just that lol*

I think if we were to do the "woke up on a paradise beach then eventually realized it's not a paradise at all" idea then we totally have enough for plot to start with because we can figure out the big details out later hahaha

But since it'll be character-driven as well, characters are important too!! Are we thinking contemporary character backgrounds?
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

160 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:15 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Sure, but what do you mean by contemporary characters?

147 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:19 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

like characters from the current year :)

I tend to play modern characters but I also don't mind if we wanted this to be some time in the future! I'm not sure if I would do very well with characters form the past though D:
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

160 Reviews

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Thanks for clearing it up! I prefer if we write the characters modern if you don’t mind. The future is not my forte :)

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Let's think about whether we all want to be from the same time period (ie, we all got to the island together) or if we end up being from different worlds/universes. I have a couple modern day characters, I'm not sure if they would be right for this. I may end up creating a new character for this, we'll see. :) I'll have to think about it some more.

-- Walt Disney

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:03 am
View Likes
Carina says...

OKAY now that I am finally on a computer, I thought I'd put some of my thoughts into words finally haha

I know the RP Realm has mostly been a "throw your characters into this story and see what happens" kind of setting, but because LSS will be fast-paced and long-term, I'd rather we take on the more traditional approach of creating new characters from the same setting/universe for the story, rather than it being a story for characters in different settings/universes. Does that make sense?

So like, I'd be okay if we, say, played the Avengers in the story. But it would be too hard to follow a coherent storyline if we had Avengers, Hunger Games, and Harry Potter characters. Ya know? Any other roleplay and I'd be chill with it, but LSS takes this to a whole new level.

I'd prefer our characters be in the same universe, but I'm not terribly picky about what universe that'd be! It could be modern day, or it could be a world where everyone has superpowers, or maybe we're in a world where goblins live among humans, etc etc. I'm cool with it as long as it's fairly simple and not too complex. :)

Once we establish the setting/universe, we can go from there and decide what kind of characters we want :9
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

I was going to say that I like the idea of us all being from the same universe, and it being modern day/our world. Is anyone opposed to a Gilligan’s Island type setup where we we’re on some kind of a boat that gets shipwrecked?

I definitely plan to create a new character for this story and am already thinking about who she’ll be. :)

-- Walt Disney

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria