z

Young Writers Society

Tales of the Deadfire DT

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:33 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Ahoy everyone! Please reserve your spot here, and discuss anything/ask anything you want. :) We tend to try and answer fairly quickly.

Also, any lore tidbits (so like the gods of the world, etc) will be added as links to this message for convenient reference ;-)

Info about the gods

Spoiler! :
Regarding the gods/goddesses: There are essentially ten "main deities", with various of them having other less known forms, or the occasional local deities.
All of the deities are "alive", and thus do speak to their Priests on a regular basis, and can even create dream realities to converse with them. Here's a short list of the ten, explaining their main "domains"

-Abydon- God of construction, magic, and metal. Patron God of many blacksmiths/warriors/Dwarves, but shunned by many other gods (because he had tried to have his followers rebuild a body for him in the mortal world)

-Berath/Tangaloa- the dual gods of Death. The two aspects represent the two forms of Death in the world: a death by war/unnatural means (this aspect appears as a pale lady in pitch black armour, and is known as the Pallid Knight or Rukuhu), or by age/natural means (appears as a bent-over, old/wrinkly dwarf, usually also standing by a door, and is known as either the Usher or Kohopa)

-Hylea- Goddess of air/sky, the moon, birds and music. Her followers are almost always druids/smaller tribes,since she's not seen as having much place in "civilized" society (hence why her temple in the main city is now used as a laboratory)

-Magran- Goddess of War and fire. Fairly straight forward, she's worshipped by most societies, since society can't exist without fire/strength/warriors. Her followers hate the followers of Woedica with a burning passion.

-Galawain- God of beasts, nature, and change. He's also a "free god" like Hylea, but unlike her, rarely partakes in matters of the other gods (he prefers to keep to his domain, or to ensure that the strong of mind/body reign, and to bring about change in weak societies) Also responsible for most werebeasts

-Ondra- Goddess of the Sea, water, storms and dreams. Where Galawain rules over land beasts, and Hylea the air beasts, Ondra is seen as the mother of everything that lives in the oceans. She's extremely popular in the Deadfire/among sailors.

-Wael- God(dess)(es) of Knowledge and, most importantly, secrets. Their followers either try to explain all the mysteries of the world (and Wael intentionally leads them astray) or to ensure that secrets remain secret/mysteries forever (with Wael intentionally finding a way for those mysteries to be revealed). They have no set form like the others, and thus have no "single" voice or shape.

-Skaen- God of Torture, Murder and Vengeance. While shunned by almost all "normal" society for being "evil", Skaen actually does serve to protect those being tortured/abused (so if a slave were maltreated, Skaen would make sure karma would come back to bite the master) His followers hate everything to do with Woedica.

-Woedica- Goddess of Justice/Law, and the (Exiled) queen of the gods. Either hated or loved, depending on the society. Patron goddess of the Inquisition, the Steel Garotte (a band of zealous assassins) and the Leaden Key

-Rymargand- God of Disease, Winter, Decay and Endings. His whole deal is making sure that everything eventually ends. Since souls technically reincarnate when mortals die, Rymargand ensures that souls do eventually fade away.

-Eothas/Gaun- God of Light, rebirth and truth. He's kind of... despised by all the other gods (not his followers though), since he kind of possessed one of his followers and then tried to conquer the world, so they quite literally had to blow him up with godpowers
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Hmmm, intriguing! I think I'll tentatively claim a spot!

62 Reviews

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 pm
View Likes

Eureka!!!! Welcome aboard @Europa (tentatively, at least)
If you have any questions or stuff that might "untentivate" you a bit, we are willing and happy to answer you :)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

45 Reviews

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 am
View Likes
Europa says...

What exactly is the job they've been forced into? (I'll admit to only skimming through the summary, so if I've missed it and it's in there that's my bad :b) I know it's being kept a secret at the mo, but would the characters not know any specifics beforehand at all and are basically being dropped in blindly? Also, are there any specific roles the characters should fill, like should one be the weapons expert and one be the muscle, etc?

62 Reviews

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 pm
View Likes

We profusely apologise for never getting back to you @Europa! We hadn't realised that we accidentally unsubscribed from our own DT, and only became aware of it now while finalising our character :)

They won't know anything about the job they're being sent on by the Archmage, but seeing as he is infamous to anyone who knows anything about Arkemyr (which the team do, since they had to plan a heist to break into his manor), it's that he doesn't really value "cheap life" (his school of magic he is Archmage of is Conjuration for a reason), but he only takes direct action (like hiring a group of mercenaries who robbed him to go on a mission) if he felt the fate of the world/knowledge/magic we're at stake (or if he feels another Archmage is in peril/going to put the world in peril)

The team were, obviously, put together originally with a specific skill set in mind to pull off a dangerous and stealthy heist. Our character, for example, was the explosives expert (his character sheet will be up probably by tomorrow if you want to read it), and so on. Though they know well what the original mission was, they're essentially being sent on this new one blindly as punishment for robbing an Archmage (we will share the mission once there's more interest in the SB... maybe even before to get interest. Since the mission will catch some people's eye. We're certain of that)

For a time period in which this is set, think a combination of medieval/renaissance, and the early years of colonization (so the Spanish conquistadors, sugar plantations, etc) So things like gunpowder and early firearms exist alongside magic/swords/bows, etc
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

45 Reviews

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:20 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Aw sick so my character can be a pirate?

62 Reviews

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 pm
View Likes

Definitely yes!
The main pirate "organization" of the Deadfire are called the Principi sen Patrena (the Princes without Homeland, or just Principi for short). They are divided between the "old guard" (usually the more "code and honour"-bound pirates) and the "new blood" (all about raiding, partying,etc, without a care about old rules), and are connected to most of the illegal operations in the Deadfire (like the person in charge of the smuggling syndicate in the main city of Nekateka is a Pirate) So a Pirate taking part in a dangerous heist like this is actually expected to have happened (even if the rest of the team don't know they're a pirate)

If you want names of some of the "key" Principi, we can post them here for you (also, not gonna say more atm, but the captain of the ship our characters will be sailing with may or may not be affiliated with the Principi)
Last edited by ThePatchworkPilgrims on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:22 pm
View Likes

Emile has been accepted @RavenLord :) Gonna be interesting to see two priests in the same team XD
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:35 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Yes, definitely! Especially considering the two gods they serve and their respective similarities and differences.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

45 Reviews

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:04 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Hey, I've thought about it, and unfortunately I think it might be better to just focus on the SBs I'm already a part of right now. This looks really cool though, and I hope you get more people. Best of luck!

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 am
View Likes
EvieEcco says...

Hi, RavenLord told me about this and I find it very interesting! I'd like to reserve a spot and ask how I should go about making a character? (Do note that I haven't used this site much so it might take me a bit to get used to it all.) :-D

62 Reviews

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:52 am
View Likes

Hey @EvieEcco! Welcome aboard, and welcome to the site. Always glad to see new members, especially ones interested in Storybooking :)

As to your question-in the main Storybook post, if you scroll down to the "Characters" part of the post. Just below the list of the positions available in this Storybook, you'll see a box which says "Character Sheet". This is basically the framework you can build your character off of.

Copy this, and go to the top right of your screen. Below the button which says "Discussion Topic", you'll see a (for now) short list of our and Raven's characters. Just below that is the "create new character option". Click on this, paste the character sheet in the text box, and write your character ;-) (and click submit, naturally)

If you've submitted your character, just let us know here, and we'll give it a read through and accept he character, or give you one or two pointers to edit :D

If you have any specific questions about SBing, you can gladly Message us, or if it's about the SB, you can ask away over here :)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:58 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Just a heads-up, guys, I do have another friend who is interested in this storybook. She's really busy, unfortunately, but she said she should be able to join around January. I really, really hope we have enough people by then, but if worst comes to worst, just know that we could have a fourth candidate.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

62 Reviews

Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:47 pm
View Likes

We also asked some of our DnD friends to join the site for this SB, and one said he may be interested. Gonna try and badger him to join (he also writes poetry, so the site wouldn't go to waster for him :-) )
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

112 Reviews

Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:49 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

That's great! I can't wait for this to get off the ground; I've got a billion ideas for Emile.

she/her

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren