Young Writers Society

The Reawakening of Hickory Grove [OOC]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:57 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

That's okay, @SirenCymbaline! @Lia5Giba is posting next, but it might be a bit before she can write her post - so we're scheming in the meantime. We could theoretically have a pad party down the line, but we're currently sticking to an informal discussion here in the DT right now.

(By the way, Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it!)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:30 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I can't remember if I've already asked this question here, but here's a fun question to get some scheming going!

What do you really want to happen in this storybook?

I know that I really want Jane to learn more about her past life - and see how that reveal affects her current friendships. Nathan's definitely going to hide some things from her, so it'll be fun watching her slowly put the pieces together. I'd also love to see more of the characters dealing with whatever happened in their previous lives! :)
mage

queer and here.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I really want Phoenix to struggle with the possibility of becoming a superhero. She’s not used to big changes, so this will throw her in for a loop.

Also, she’s had her whole life planned out for her by her parents, so it’ll be interesting to see her come into her own and grow into an independent girl.

I’m still thinking on how to do this, but I want to see how her relationship with her parents will change. If they’ll finally notice her.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I love that idea, @Valkyria! Her struggle to adjust to big, major changes is something that I can very much relate to, so I'm excited to see how she handles that challenge going forward. I also can't wait to see what her parents think of her newfound confidence and direction in life. <3
mage

queer and here.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:56 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

Ha! I posted! If I didn’t portray your characters correctly, please let me know!
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Your post looks great, @Lia5Giba! I love how you wrote Jane in it - she was perfect. <3 <3

I also really love your use of description. I don't usually think about description when reading storybook posts, but the way you described the setting and what was going on around Filisha just really stuck out to me!

Now that the introduction posts are done, it looks like it's time for us to start our next round of posts. I have two other storybook posts I promised to write soon, so it might be a little bit before I have my next post up.

But I can't wait to post here. <3 <3
mage

queer and here.

4100 Reviews

Reviews: 4100
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:37 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Great post!!

Oh and I totally forgot to answer earlier. For Daph I think she's going to do a lot of thinking about who she was in her past life and how she is now and then figuring out who she actually needs to be while processing all the superhero stuff. Hint: She was not such a baby back then And well, I'd love to see some fun superhero shenanigans heist sequence.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

idk what to do but I think I can work with this part of Dora's CP

So far, asking for forgiveness has been easier than permission, and doing what she wants has worked out pretty fine for Dora. The possibility that she would someday go too far has always been inevitable, even before she discovered her powers. Lord preserve us.

cos she's gonna move from rocket boots to jetpacks to tanks and uhhh

there's a lot of room for mistakes there

but it's more than just the dangerous machines, it's the underlying belief that not only do rules not apply to her, but she also thinks she doesn't need to tell anybody about her plans beforehand if they don't explicitly ask because she's never wrong so why do they need to talk about it?

So I think that's a nice plot-versatile flaw
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:56 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I also want her to catch on to the fact that she's the reincarnation of this universe's stand in for Henry Ford so I can play with some 1940's jokes
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:27 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

I think for character-development-wise, I want Filisha to become less... quiet. Of all the characters in this romp, she’s probably the most sidekick-like. Like a supporting role. Even her powers are like a sidekick’s: she can’t do combat with them, and they mostly help others more than her. She’s the lookout, but what more with her super-hearing? And Filisha wouldn’t complain, even though she might feel like she isn’t important enough.

So I want her to grow into her own, learn to be more self-sufficient. I want her to grow out of sidekick and into something more of a main character for real. A supporting one often, maybe, but still something main. Maybe Mari will give her karate lessons, or she’ll start being more helpful as a strategic leader, or at least grow out of being a doormat by using her powers. Or maybe she’ll talk with her past lives like Avatar and learn character development. Or even something else. I don’t know.

But by the end of this, I want Filisha to stop being a doormat. At least.
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I love all of these ideas! It'll be fun seeing the characters develop as the story goes on, especially as they get more memories from their previous lives. :)

I don't have any progress on my post for this, but I wrote another storybook post today - so I'm one step closer to being able to do this one. <3
mage

queer and here.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:16 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

ALRIGHT finally have some time to reply to this and think this through!

In terms of character development, I want Mari to embrace her softer side. So, being more vulnerable, being okay with emotions in front of others, learning to be more intimate, etc! Unlike the others, Mari actually has the same art profession and same-ish strong personality in her past lives, so it would be interesting for her to detect this pattern and be like, "??? how can I be different?"

It's also pretty interesting to see this clash with the other responses in the DT so far. Mari would totally be like, "YEAH! SUPERHEROES!" and probably support Phoenix in that aspect and help her live a more chaotic/independent life. And Mari would also probably support Daphne with her past life, saying she thinks it's super cool that she had lived two totally different lives (unlike her, lol). For Dora, I can see Mari learning to be less chaotic together and learning that some of their actions have consequences. And for Fil, omg yes Mari would TOTALLY help her become stronger, physically and mentally! totally down for those self-defense lessons
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hi! Just wanted to pop in quickly to say that I haven't started my post for this yet, but that I keep thinking about this storybook and plan on replying really soon. <3

Also, I love Mari's character arc, @Carina! Characters learning to be soft make me feel soft, too. c:
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Really soon apparently means today. >>

I haven't started it just yet, but I'm going to in a few minutes once I finish this post! I gave myself a serious refresher by rereading what we already had and writing down a summary of the posts over in our pad. I scooted the CPs down underneath the plotting, since the plotting stuff should probably a little more accessible.

I also added a section with plans for my next post, as well as things that probably need to happen in this next round of posts as well. c:
mage

queer and here.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

shaking

LOVE IT, CAN'T WAIT. and now I realized Mari is the only one without dreams >_> I should probably incorporate that soon lol
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec