z

Young Writers Society

'The Odin', Part One: Finding the Odin OOC

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:59 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

This is the discussion thread for 'The Odin', if you have any questions, ideas, or remarks, put them here.
-_-

44 Reviews

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:51 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

First Orders of buisness ( prioritize in order mentioned)

So, something I think we should discuss right away is rating, I don't think there will ever be anything warranting an 18+, but I'm not sure if it should be rated 16+, so I'm just wondering where you want the storybook to go (I have a plot in mind, but it's really just a broad outline to keep us moving towards an ending) and what rating that'll warrant.

also, what kind of future are we thinking here? Personally I'm thinking something more realistic, sort of a Star Wars aesthetic, if you could call Star Wars realistic, with a mix of laser and bullet weapons. I did basically no world-building leading up to this. I don't know what kind of government they have, what politics there is, etc.

Also, just something I'm noting so there isn't to much dissonance between character portrayals (mostly for my fellow pirates, and to a lesser degree the bounty hunters): these aren't supposed to be good people oppressed by the government, they are supposed to be outlaws, and criminals, albeit sympathetic ones.

That's all for now. I don't really need anything on the last point, input on the second would be helpful but is not necessary, but I definitely need your input on the first, so we're on the same page about what we can and can't include going forward.

that's all for now.
-_-

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:52 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Lovely, but a quick question about the world-building:

is Earth mentioned or play any role in anything?

The spacey-wacey genre tends to vary when Earth is involved. I don't think its ever in star wars, nearly always there in doctor who and maybe mentioned in passing for a hundred other books, shows or films but doesn't play any role. Either way, there are certainly a lot of options.

In the end, I suppose it depends on the plot and the characters but I thought I should just throw this out there if anyone has any ideas.

:)

44 Reviews

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am
View Likes
IamI says...

I didn’t imagine this as our galaxy, so Earth isn’t involved. But if more people bring this up I wouldn’t mind changing it.
-_-

4095 Reviews

Reviews: 4095
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:27 pm
KateHardy says...

Hmm...well I think we probably should keep things 16+ if there are going to be any properly intense battles where people could die or if your pirates or the bounty hunters are going to drop the occasional f bomb.

Hmm...I guess you could go with anything...I personally use the 2150's to the 2240's in stories with this level of spaceships with laser rifles and handguns that fire bullets...and that's just what I generally use but we could literally use anything. As for worldbuilding I guess we should come up with some general names and such...maybe model this after the milky way or fool around with fun stuff like binary star systems. What sort of things would you like?

So...the law enforcement people are the only good ones? As in these bounty hunters are also somewhat evil? Will there be possible fights between the law enforcement and the bounty hunters or do they just work ignoring each other or do they help each other?

And my character profiles are done but I think I have to be accepted first before I can submit them. I sent a request to join.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

44 Reviews

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:07 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

Alright, I accepted you.

I think 16+ is good.

I think your idea for mixed weapons is good and think we should probably model the galaxy after the Milky Way, since it’s the kind we’re most familiar with.

Yes, the law enforcement are in the right. How moral they are is up to you. Also, I think conflict between the bounty hunters and the law enforcement is an excellent idea. As to the relationship overall I think it would probably be very strained, but trying to work together to achieve the same goals.
-_-

4095 Reviews

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:24 am
KateHardy says...

Hmm...okay...we'll do that then...we'll model a couple of star systems then unless you need only one? I think having a few systems would maybe be better? And then we assign some planets to these people?

And okay...I was asking because I made them pretty nice characters so I was wondering if I would have to change that. Them having a strained relationship is great. Then we can have conflict there as well.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

64 Reviews

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:19 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

I still have to put up my character (I’ll try get to that today) but planet wise I was thinking of giving the characters origin planet the uniqueness of having the largest number of moons per planet in the galaxy.
This is mainly because I like the moon and so the more the merrier (think of the visual imagery!) but if anyone is against this that’s all good :D

44 Reviews

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:39 am
IamI says...

That sounds good to me.

Also I probably won’t be able to accept you character until later, since it’s around 10:00 where I am (I’m on eastern standard time, in case you find that useful). Just thought I’d tell you that in case it seems I’m ignoring your posts.
-_-

64 Reviews

Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:37 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

It's alright, I understand.

I feel like a large portion of this cite is american so I'll always be on at odd times. If it helps I'm also EST but aussie edition :)

4095 Reviews

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:26 pm
KateHardy says...

*pokes*

Are we going to start or are we going to wait on the two character profiles?

I think maybe those two have forgotten.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

44 Reviews

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:58 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

I think I'll remind the people who haven't submitted character profiles and wait maybe two days for a response, if they don't respond by then we'll probably start.

Do you have any ideas for what we could do if they don't respond? If all else fails I could try to construct bios out of what they've given me and write the characters myself, but I'm not sure I want to do that unless I have to.
-_-

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:09 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

I wouldn't write the character for other people, @IamI. I might give them notifications and then, if all else fails, you could ask them if they're still interested. Just keep in contact with them. We can still start posting, since the first posts by everyone will just mainly be introductory anyway.
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

44 Reviews

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:16 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

I agree, I'll ask them later on today.
-_-

64 Reviews

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:13 pm
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Lovely.

Now, I was wondering (yet again) how’s the plot progressing?
Mainly, I’m just curious as to why the crew split up in the first place since that’s kind of the start of everything, right?

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron