Young Writers Society

Dreamers [DT]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:25 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Here is where we'll discuss plotting, planning, and characters for the SB, Dreamers! If you want to reserve a character, do it here!

This storybook will take over the course of the two-week trial period. It is set in a modern setting. There will be a lot of dream posts, and I encourage all of you to have fun and be creative. A lot of wacky, nonsensical things can happen in dreams, but write all of your dreams with a purpose. Think about your character, their life, and what they're like. What media do they consume? What do they eat? What's their thought life like? All of these things can affect your dreams - and all of this is added to the fact that they're taking a new drug to, so it says, help their sleep.

All of their habits will be monitored. Characters will have a wristband - the equivalent of a Fitbit - to monitor heart rate and vitals. How long they sleep, how quickly they fall asleep, and how long they REM sleep will all be recorded as they are being monitored by cameras and sensors remotely. Waking up to alarms is not allowed because of how it can interfere with the sleep cycle.

One of the requirements our characters have as a part of the trial is they must keep a log of their dreams. So how this SB will be structured is there will be a round of dream posts from our character's log. Those will be written in first person past tense since our characters will be retelling what happened in their dreams. It will be a fun exercise to write in your character's voice and develop how they would explain the dream.

Punctuating the spaces between each round of dream logs will be a post or two where the characters, who all will live in a shared, locked-up space, can and will interact with one another. They are not limited to discussing dreams and sleep, but those things will inevitably come up in conversation, considering the context. These posts will be written in third person past tense. I also want these posts to be collaborated on!

This SB has a pre-determined set of seven "rounds" of dreams, covering seven of the 12 days of the trial. So each round of logs will be from every other day.

As far as the dreams go and how they develop over time - they will start out as more "mild" and can develop in different directions. For characters who have never lucid dreamt before, they can start lucid dreaming. The dreams will get more intense, gradually, over time. The line between reality and dream will blur. They will all start sleeping deeper and more soundly. How tightly your character holds onto reality and how hard they fight to stay grounded is up to you, or rather, them.

Character Profile Template

Please delete all text that is within parentheses, and just put your character's info in there! Thank you!
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (must be 20+ cause we looking for consenting adults here bro)
[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b][i]- Strengths:[/i][/b]
[b][i]- Weaknesses:[/i][/b]
[b]Brief Backstory:[/b] (why did they sign up to do the trial? if relevant, what's their sleep life been like in the past? family and work life leading up to this point?)
[b]Other:[/b]

Coding For Posts

I like having a uniform look to an SB, so we've got some rules. For the sake of aesthetic, use the following codes for headers/divisions in posts!
Spoiler! :
Header For Dream Log Posts:
[right][i]Character Name's Dream Log
Day #/12
00:00(sleep time)-00:00(wake time)[/i][/right]

Of course, remove the stuff in parentheses. It should look something like this.
John Smith's Dream Log
Day 4/12
11:32pm-6:11am

Header For Awake Time Posts:
[center][i]Character Name[/i]
[size=50]cowritten with @User[/size][/center]

If you're not collaborating just use:
[center][i]Character Name[/i][/center]

For Divisions between scenes and time-skips:
[center]--<>--[/center]

The Sleep Testing Facility

Disclaimer: This is pretty bare-bones and I used a floor layout thing I found on google just so we have an idea of what everything looks like. Ignore the measurements!!!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:31 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I definitely want to join this! I have no idea for my character right now, but I'd love to take part in this storybook.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Happy to have you, mage!!! :D

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I’m in as well!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:46 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

omg ELINOR!!!! AAAAAA YAY

ALSO NOTE TO PEOPLE LOOKIN AT THIS SB: My cap on people joining will be 5 (including myself) so I'll only be accepting up to 2 more folks in this!

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@sheyren AYYYY GOOD TO HAVE YA ON BOARD

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm
View Likes
Zenith says...

It seems so interesting. I'd love to join, even though I have no character idea yet.
Let's just die young or live forever.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:40 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Zenith I’d love to have you! If you need character ideas we can brainstorm in this thread if you want!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm
View Likes
Zenith says...

Thank you so much. It feels like an honor to get selected in something so cool.
How much time do I have for deciding on a char?
Let's just die young or live forever.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:59 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Zenith I’d like to see character profiles made within a week, but two weeks at most! But if you want to get started sooner by all means do so! :)

Also! Don’t know how new you are to storybooking, but be sure to subscribe to this thread and the storybook itself so you get notifications!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Elinor I love Rachel! CP approved!

Also I just got my character in if ya'll wanna take a look! :) If anyone needs help brainstorming for characters feel free to throw out ideas in here or ask for help! I can just pull ideas out me brain and we can see what sticks

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:32 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Just a heads' up! For those of you joining, I just want to make it clear that I plan on finishing this SB and seeing it through to the end. If you're able to make the commitment to finishing this I'd appreciate it! It may take a year or so (depending on how long we all write things up) but I want to see it completed!

I just want to be clear about my expectations on the front end. I expect at least one of us to post once a month, but there can always be more.

For dream posts, I don't care about them being super long. I'd say 400-500 words minimum, though, because I don't want the dream to be so short that it's a few sentences. It's cool if your character doesn't have super detailed/vivid dreams if it fits for them, but 400 will be the minimum word count.

For posts where our characters are actually awake and interacting I'd say 800 words minimum.

I don't mind if we're a small crew of people, but I just wanna check that ya'll are in it to finish!

If you've read this and you're in just give a little reply to affirm! :^)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:24 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm definitely still in! :) I just need to flesh out the character we talked about over on Discord.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I'm in!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Morning without you is a dwindled dawn.
— Emily Dickenson