Young Writers Society

The Town of Nightville [DT]

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:31 am
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

@EverLight @Corvid
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

Gandalf: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

114 Reviews

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:26 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

@EverLight and @Corvid, are you guys still interested? because you still don't have your characters up. If you aren't interested anymore, we'll have to start without you.
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:29 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

I'm not intrested anymore (:
I'm winning at life!

114 Reviews

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

Okay. :(

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:03 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Wow, well that was an accidentally violent way to put it!
#BeautyOfBluntness

That being said, since we have five characters in and one in waiting, @Necromancer14, you can start posting, since you're the SB owner!

We could also use this DT to start planning for things related to both the plot, and our characters as well as their needs. I do have a few I want to mention, but I know my verbose tendencies, I'll wait a bit XD

So! If anyone's got something they'd like to brainstorm with, do tell!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

114 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:42 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

I'm open for ideas, @TinkerTwaggy. Though I've heard that planning the ending first helps develop the rest of the story. So how should the good guys win? (If the good guys win, lol.)

40 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:18 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Necromancer14

You have made a grave mistake. The Obligatory Master Schemin' Discussion Thread Post shall now be unleashed upon this world, conquering most Territories of Thoughts using its powers of Length-Based Intimidation.

Stay tuned for the Double-Post Of Doom.

Also, I'd say that it depends on how you or people, in general, like to plan things out, personally, but that saying is correct for quite a few people!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

114 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:13 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

All right, I made my first post. Please tell me if I got your character wrong. (Not that I made anybody do much so far.)

@Jaybird @IIUMBRELLAZ @polishcommonwealth @TinkerTwaggy

Also, who wants to go next? And of course, please voice any ideas you might have for the plot. (I'm excited to see what you come up with, TinkerTwaggy. You seem like you're full of ideas. Go ahead. Post a long post of ideas and intimidate me... just not too long of a post. Please no novel-length posts.)

EDIT: Oops! I forgot to post all of my first bit. There, I added the rest. (I'm pretty much talking to @Jaybird because you've already seen it before I added the other bit, lol.)

40 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Necromancer14 To specify: you don't actually have to include all of our characters in your first post, and in fact, though you can do it, it's not recommended for a couple of reasons!

•You don't know all the characters well yet because we didn't post for them for now.

•You haven't collaborated with anyone to make sure you'd get them right.

•People being people, you're likely to have no one telling you what you got wrong for fear of appearing nitpicky and nagging, especially in an SB-setting, where we care much less about grammar than we would in an officially published work. I won't care, of course, and will gladly tell you whatever it is you did wrong or right, and will strive to be nice about it because you're bringing us together for this story right now and you deserve respect for that.

So! First I'll read your post, then I'll finish my brainstorming.

Oh yeah, and don't worry: It's fine, what's done is done! Right now, those who want to tell you what you should add or remove for character portrayal will do so, myself included. Now that the post is submitted, we'll just follow your lead!

114 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

Okay, that makes sense @TinkerTwaggy. I just didn't want to, like, make people think I liked some characters more than others by using only some characters and not the others.

But if I did get your character wrong, please tell me. I don't mind nitpicking. After all, it is your character, so I seriously won't be offended. I can always change it. :) I tried to stick to what the descriptions were, but they can only describe so much.

40 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:00 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Necromancer14 Luckily, nobody would ever think that if your character is, say, intimidated by someone so doesn't speak to them because he literally just thought "holy cow they're so scary I don't wanna talk to 'em", or if he's simply not observant or insightful enough to talk to everyone.
Basically, just be honest with your style, and the rest will follow! After all, you don't talk to literally everyone you meet in real life, that would be tiresome for you.

Exactly! Edit Button shall do its magic. Be right back! Readin'.

114 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:06 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

@TinkerTwaggy I suppose, lol.

40 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:09 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

...Oh, see you nailed it.
Sierra's description states that she's the listener type: So, you had her almost say something, but mostly remained reserved and quite because you know, #EducatedGuess. That's exactly what I'm talking about! I can't possibly be like "HOW DARE YOU NOT MAKE MY CHARACTER TALK, YOU CLEARLY DISLIKE HER" when you literally just... try to do your job? XD

Now, I can't talk for everyone else, but the one thing I can tell you is that Sierra would be sitting by the front of the bus, so, she'd prolly be on the other side to where Harold is and wouldn't have moved much. If you can change that, do so!

Now! Brainstormin'.

114 Reviews

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

There @TinkerTwaggy I clarified that she was in the front of the bus. Anything else?

Also, since I'm extremely shy and a listener myself, that wasn't so much of an educated guess as it was personal experience.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

This is an hour late, but I love the first post! It's a great start to the storybook. :)

I especially got a kick out of the first paragraph - I love how it gave me a feel for Harold's character, and I also love how it established how other characters view him.

@TinkerTwaggy's already spoken from his experience from past SBs, but I think I'll try my hand at doing the same. :)

It's definitely daunting writing other people's characters when you haven't seen what they're like outside of their CPs. That being said, there's nothing wrong with including all of them in your first post.

I'm not sure if everyone would be down for this, but we could always have a round of posts with a set deadline (like getting them in by the end of two weeks from now) where we do a little bit of a flashback - like what led up to the field trip - from each character's perspectives. It won't contribute much to the overall plot, but it'll give all of us writers a good idea of what the other characters are like.

(Also, you did a great job writing Emi! I wish I could have thought of a line like that. :))
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
— Lyndon B. Johnson