Young Writers Society

The Seven School Mysteries [DT]

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm
View Likes
Overwatchful says...

Question for @SirenCymbaline,
Does Enid know about the apparitions and Mysteries? I know her bio says that she has forgotten that she's dead, so I was wondering if that meant that she didn't know about everyone else
Quite... Overwatchful
Previously Stormblessed242 :mrgreen:

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

That's a very good question!

I believe she knows what apparitions are, and recognises the mystery children around her, she just doesn't internalise anything odd about herself.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

120 Reviews

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 pm
View Likes
Overwatchful says...

Got it, thanks!
Quite... Overwatchful

120 Reviews

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:02 am
View Likes
Overwatchful says...

My post is up! Let me know if I made any mistakes with pronouns or personalities. I'm willing to go make changes! :D
Quite... Overwatchful

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:26 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Your post looks great to me, @Stormblessed242! I love how you handled writing Eli. :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:19 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Soooooo I guess @SebiGhoul's next?
*insert quirky signature here*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Yeah! Sebi's been busy lately and hasn't had a chance to write the post yet, but hopefully the next post will be up in the next few weeks?
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:27 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hey guys! I know I already posted in this earlier today, but I had an idea that I wanted to run by everyone - especially @SebiGhoul. Right now, Sebi's the only one who hasn't posted yet.

(Which is totally okay!)

But it would be a shame if this storybook stopped before it could ever really get started, so maybe we could set a deadline for when this round ends? I'm not sure how well this date works for you, Sebi, but maybe the goal could be to get the post up by August 20th? If you're not able to, then we could either skip the intro post or put a placeholder blank post. If you have the time later, you can write that intro post and edit the blank post to have it. If you don't, we could always delete it.

I do need to sit down and come up with a more concrete plot for this new round of posts - my planning is definitely not the best - but I'll make sure to post here once I get a better idea of what I want to happen with this part of the story! We've talked about it over on Discord a little, but I think the goal is to have each character face the effects of a rumor about them.

I actually meant to post this in here sooner, but I got distracted by my online chemistry class. Hopefully this isn't too late!

(These questions, by the way, were courtesy of @SirenCymbaline. The goal is to figure out potential rumors based on the answers, and to see if anyone can be paired up with another mystery if they have similar themes.)

1.) First off: what's wrong with your character right now? What point are they in their life/death?

2.) Where do you want them to go?

Tagging everyone who hasn't already been tagged in this post!

@Stormblessed242, @Liberty @EverLight @TheMulticoloredCyr
mage

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:25 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Enid became a ghost instead of passing on because she wanted very badly to live and look after people and grow old. She's gotten exactly what she wanted, but never got over her death at all, only repressed the memory of it.

What I want to do with her is to force her to remember, so she can face the weight of her grief, and the regret that she couldn't save anyone. Accept that it's over, and she's here now.

I swear having a plague doctor ghost with black plague ptsd was in good taste when this sb came out

Now it feels awkward but I s'pose I'll figure it out
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:36 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

It's past August 20th, so I'm going to try answering the questions I asked in my last post and figure out what the game plan is for the next round - please reply to this thread if you haven't already!

@SebiGhoul @TheMulticoloredCyr @EverLight @Liberty @Stormblessed242

1.) First off: what's wrong with your character right now? What point are they in their life/death?

2.) Where do you want them to go?

The answer to question one is a serious lack of character development/planning on my end outside of Eli's crush on Syl.

I don't really want their personality/character to be centered on their crush, but I definitely think one of the things they need to eventually do is confess to Syl. I also think that I can take my lack of character development and make Eli struggle with their sense of identity. I'd love for Eli to be a much more developed character by the time this storybook ends - to the point where I can use Eli in other things and not struggle when it comes to writing them.

Maybe their rumor can involve something with mirrors? The mirrors subplot is actually in the original manga/anime this storybook was inspired by, but I really like the idea of Eli struggling with not making their identity based on other people.

(Especially because their identity as an apparition is a hand-me-down from the last present clock keeper, as well as being a member of a group.)

I would also have fun if Eli can't keep their form constant. It wouldn't be something high stakes like @SirenCymbaline has planned for Enid, but it would be difficult for them to attend classes if they can't stop looking like other people in the room. :P

And Enid definitely didn't age well. ^^"
mage

queer and here.

120 Reviews

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:33 pm
View Likes
Overwatchful says...

So with Alexios:

I was thinking that in the process of this story, the kid with his soul comes to Ravenwood. In whatever climax this story ends with, said kid dies, but Returns Alex's soul to him.

Alex's ongoing problem? Let's see. I think some sort of depression would be appropriate. In just a few years he is going to die, but he's already decided not to take his soul back. More and more often, his friends re finding him wandering the halls, trying to remember his past life. Rumors start to spread about how depressed he is and why, and it starts a downward spiral of circumstances. Sometime near the end, he tells his "soulmate" the truth, and its awkward, but the kid is grateful for his life, so Alex feels fulfilled.

Even with all this going on in his life, Alex is willing to help the other characters with whatever they need.

I've put this post in the WFP as well
Quite... Overwatchful

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@Stormblessed242, I like that idea! It's a good way to conclude Alex's story, while also giving him some wonderful angst in case you ever want to write him in something else. :P
mage

queer and here.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Nyx thinks everything is play and if she messed up, she can say sorry and everything will fall into place. She has to learn that just because she's some "prankster queen" that doesn't mean that she can do whatever and walk away.

And since she's a devil she stops at a specific age and can also wish herself into another age. Currently, she's seventeen and still 100% alive.

She's gotta realize that not everything is play, and she's gotta be serious sometimes - not all the time, but like, being that hyper all the time and tricking people, others can get tired of it, Nyx, stahp. xD

tbh I don't really know if that's good enough but ig it is what it is <.<
*insert quirky signature here*

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 am
View Likes
EverLight says...

God, I feel like it's been ages since I first created Oria and I feel so out of touch with her now but I'll try.
Oria's main flaw is that she thinks she can do everything, and as well as a severe imbalance between herself, and Andromeda Centuri. Throughout the course of her journey she must learn to control Andromeda and obtain 'balance' within herself. Involved with that, are 1. Accepting her past for what it is 2. Learning that just because she is a teenage genius and plus blessed with stellar blood doesn't mean she's perfect.
I'm winning at life!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:42 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I definitely should have replied to this thread sooner, but at least late is better than never?

@SebiGhoul and @TheMulticoloredCyr, I think you might be the only ones who haven't answered the questions yet? I feel like you might have mentioned them to me away from the DT, but I can't remember what you said. ^^"

Also, here's a rundown of what we have so far for planning purposes!

- Enid needs to deal with her death; her rumor will spread the plague
    - Eli needs to form their own identity; their rumor will make their appearance physically shift
    - Alexios needs to deal with the whole soulmate situation; his rumor will involve a reason for his downwards spiral into depression
    - Nyx needs to learn responsibility; her rumor is undecided
    - Oria needs to accept her past and imperfections; her rumor is undecided

We're still waiting on Peg & Syl's character arcs. :)

I feel like Eli's rumor can work well in the background of another rumor. Maybe it's because we discussed their connection early on in the scheming process for the storybook, but I really think it would be cool if the other rumor was Enid's.

We also have to decide if we want to start off with a big rumor - like Enid's - or start off with a smaller one to build suspense.

Also:

God, I feel like it's been ages since I first created Oria and I feel so out of touch with her now but I'll try.

@EverLight, that is a mood.
mage

queer and here.

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes