Young Writers Society

In The Wake of A Calamity [OOC]

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:42 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Great job with the last post!! (and the others but I commented on them on Discord already). I love how rapidly the action has picked up in these last few posts and how the scenes have been portrayed aaah so great c:

Edit: Oof not wonderful timing since I just got back into the thick of uni, but that's good to know! I'll keep the new post in mind, c: though I might need to focus on school pretty intensely in these next couple of weeks to sort some things. I'll be looking out for opportunities to write the post meanwhile !

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:50 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Ahhh okay!! No worries and I hope uni be goin okay!!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I been workin in the pad and fillin' out some posts that were question marks in-between things so current we have about 13-14 posts ahead of us planned pretty solidly and that makes me feel like I can breathe lol if you can't tell i like to plan and need to plan idk man it CALMS me

ANYWAYS

Where I hit a bump is the how exactly they escape the mage gladiator place, and while it's not urgent like, at all to work it out, if anyone has any ideas for how that could work let me know!

The escape is supposed to happen at the same time that Vel and Jay fight in the ring (and realize Vel is gonna make a break for it). I figure they'd be in their cells, looking thru those little windows at the bottom of the arena walls kinda deal.

I think with Ani being able to bend earth, and Thea air, Han a bit of water, and Runi light/darkness we should be able to come up with some kind of distraction, right? Current concept is there are punishments for using magic outside of the arena that are pretty brutal, but if they all use their magic at one time they should be able to escape, right?

Maybe Thea could make a little kinda air tunnel that sucks a guard w/keys towards their cell door, Ani could earth magic some of the ground so they get stuck by the cell bars and can grab the keys, and ???? Uhhh UNLOCK? Obviously once they get out they'd have to push through a button of guards armed with weapons and little drug-laced weapons that make it hard to magic b/c sleeby...

IDK IM STILL DEVELOPING ALL THAT

I want it to be like, hard for them to escape but obviously not impossible. Should their cells be designed to make it hard to use magic of their type? am i ripping that idea off of ATLA yes

IDK IM STRUGGLING FOR CREATIVE IDEAS

if anyone's wants to throw brainstorm ideas have at it,, I don't care how dumb you think it is anything helps to just work thru ideas!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:03 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Also random but Mage, since you're after Coffee, I just wanted to paste the coding for the title of your next post!! Since you'll be starting the next chapter!! It'll be uniform/look like the other chapter title and has a picture so it will be fancy :)

Also I'm pasting it here so you don't have to go through the headache of coding for that title lol
Code: Select all
[center][img]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/f004d7ca-f444-4a73-a2bf-82de963387a9/ddzzzhk-93055a18-d889-48ee-852c-3e7251956c5e.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjAwNGQ3Y2EtZjQ0NC00YTczLWEyYmYtODJkZTk2MzM4N2E5XC9kZHp6emhrLTkzMDU1YTE4LWQ4ODktNDhlZS04NTJjLTNlNzI1MTk1NmM1ZS5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.QzaOi-tZCqmw_-0SpsIzIYsYh4Ece_hjE_LQv-9NXgE[/img]

[b][size=160]C[/size][size=120]hapter[/size] [size=160]T[/size][size=120]wo:[/size] [size=160]T[/size][size=120]HE[/size] [size=160]R[/size][size=120]EMNANT AND[/size] [size=160]T[/size][size=120]HE[/size] [size=160]A[/size][size=120]SHES[/size][/b]

[i]Darunia Vain[/i][/center]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@magebird @Lael @ScarlettFire @AvantCoffee would any of ya'll wanna uhhh help me brainstorm for things mentioned in the previous post in a storybook write-in sometime this month??? JUST CURIOUS

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:47 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

So WFP has been a little unreliable lately, so I'm just gonna paste future outline plans here for now! Also, apologies for like, the million tags in this that I'm too tired/in a rush to take out.

BUT SINCE YOU'RE ALREADY TAGGED - how's everyone doing? You guys doing okay? I know I've been getting a bit more busy as of late - currently looking at hopefully getting a car w/in the next month or two? We'll see. YOU KNOW JUST ADULT THINGS I GUESS.

Spoiler! :
Chapter 1 - The Rumored Army

Notes for the group: Thea has her glider strapped over her back, but is not using it for the nighttime trek. Ani has her pet weasel Meanie-Mo uwu and he might pop out now and then pls, i need him (if your character would make note of it).

7. They've blown whatever cover they had and possibly whatever chance they had at surprising the army that they now know is very, very real. As they rush back through the mountains, hurried and hushed conversation takes place. They're going to have to decide what to do now, and they don't have time to consider all of their options. Eventually, they decide to take a longer (and fortunately, easier, but slower) way back to the guild. Mostly because the attackers are right on their tail and drive them into that direction and it's unaviodable at that point. It'd be harder to figure out how to turn around and face the attackers again.

After hurrying away and finally losing sight of the attackers for some time they stop to breathe. Vel heals Jay (his hip, mainly, because she can't heal all of him due to being very spent already), but as soon as she's done they get going again. It's another long, and this time, very quiet trek back to the guild. They go as fast as they can, but by the time they get there, the sun has begun to rise, and they can see smoke in the distance.

When they climb up to a point where there's no mountain obscuring their vision, they can see clearly what's up ahead: the guild is on fire, and burning to the ground. @AvantCoffee (Thea's POV) and @ScarlettFire omgomgomg this post aaaaaa

Chapter 2 - The Remnant and The Ashes

1. They hurry down to the guild, but they cannot see a single, living soul, and the building is blazing. They can only get so close before the smoke in the air starts making them cough and the heat of the fire becomes overwhelming. They have to back away - it's probably Jay and Vel who hold anyone back who tries to run in towards the fire, saying they'll die before they even get in the building from inhaling too much smoke.

I imagine they all retreat to some ledge, staring down at their home until the fire dies out. (Jay, who hasn't slept the whole night and was up the whole day prior, will pass out when they finally stop.) @Jaybird (Runi's POV)

2. When the fire and the smoke clears, they go down to what remains of the guild to assess the damage. All that's left of the main building is a shell of the lower two floors (the rest collappsed). They can't find a single living soul, but they will likely see remains of people, probably ones they know - but they will not see any signs of their master, Idina Lynn. They all wander around the remains of their home in silence (Jay would hang back, not that anybody would notice, and I imagine Vel might try to look for surivors, but after finding no one, do the same).

Eventaully, they all naturally gather in front of the main building w/out prompting, and there's a long silence. I... kind of want Han to break it, with a "...so what now?" if that'd be in character of him! If not we can figure something else out! But it'd stop there, at whatever he says. @Lael (Han's POV)

3. "I'm still trying to figure that one out," would be Jay's reply. In drawing attention to himself, I assume someone will aim a comment at him like "You led them here," and we can go from there. After accusations thown around and Jay explains himself, he'll eventually lift up his hands and be like "but I know when I'm not wanted," and try to ditch. I figure Runi might object, but in light of everything else it won't be a strong enough objection to keep him from leaving. As he turns to go Thea walks up and grabs his arm/shirt/something and tells him to stay. He's like fine, but Han has a point - what are we doing next, then? And thus, we hatch a plan. Thea mentions not finding any signs of Idina and Jay can express this knowledge I copy/pasted: Jay reveals that guild masters are being held prisoner so it’s likely their master is still alive. He heard a rumor of them having some kind of potion or poison that keeps people in a state where they're unable to use their magic, so that's probably how they manage that. That, and anyone who willingly decides to lay down their magic and pledge allegiance to the mage hunters is spared.

So they hatch a plan to somehow, some way, find Idina and/or other mages who survived. And that starts with climbing down the mountain.@soundofmind (Jay's POV) and @AvantCoffee

4. They pass a lake (tucked away in the mountain) thats water has started to glow an ominous purple-blue hue and fish are floating to the surface, dead. The trees around the lake look like they're starting to twist and deform, like they were shriveled and dead. It's disturbing, but it's also the closest and only viable place to camp out, and sundown is soon. As they settle down for the night and the others lie down to sleep, Vel and Jay have a short discussion about healing magic by the eerie glow of the lake, a little aways from the others. She offers to teach him, but he explains he's already tried, and she shares quietly that there might be a way to strengthen his magic, but it's forbidden by healers... and stuff we can get into in the post ;) lol. They can just go to sleep after that if conversation doesn't develop elsewhere. @ScarlettFire (Vel's POV) and @soundofmind

5. In the midst of travel, a respite: Meanie-Mo gets into Runi's bag and starts eating some of the food and makes a bit of a mess. It's troublesome, because their food is already limited, but Meanie-mo is so cute Runi can't be mad for very long. Ani gets all chastizing-mother @ Meanie-mo. We need a "little meanie" pun in here because yes. Ani and Runi go out to find some more food to replace what Meanie-Mo nommed on. Some scavenging and/or hunting can ensure and maybe Runi opens up a little to Ani, who listens and offers meager, but hopeful advice/replies. It'd be refreshing to see a heartfelt and honest convo in the midst of food collecting. Note for setting: they're still in the mountains, but there are more flat places obviously if there's a lake, and there will be trees and plants and stuff. @Jaybird? (Runi's POV)

6. They're so close to getting out of the mountains but there's a difficult and unavoidable part they have to climb through. It doesn't require actual rock-face climbing but it is tricky. Jay leads the way (probably much to Thea's chagrin) and Ani and Vel follow. Thea struggles forwards w/Runi behind and Han in front of her. She ends up losing her footing and almost falling but Han catches her, both him and Runi help her to safety and stable ground, and Runi (mainly) helps calm her down. @AvantCoffee (Thea's POV) and @Lael and @Jaybird

7. They finally reach the bottom of the mountain. The rocky, steep terrain and the cliffs are gone. There's some rolling hills, but it's much more flat from here on out. When they reach the bottom it's close to evening. Velalis and Ani go out to find some food (Vel knows natural herbs and said she'd get something to make tea). Runi and Han go grab some firewood. That leaves Thea and Jay at the campsite and some things unsaid - Jay knows she doesn't necessarily want to send him off by himself, but now it's awkward. They're supposed to set up camp with their makeshift tents. Thea attempts friendly conversation - at some point compliments Jay's necklace and he just gives it to her, no take-backs. Maybe he takes off his poncho b/c it's warmer and that's how she sees it b/c usually it's underneath. He's not really attached to it so he's just like "okay take it." When Runi and Han come back with lots of firewood Jay, now with a slightly better rapport w/Thea excuses himself to go relieve himself in the woods but never returns. @soundofmind (Jay's POV)

8. Runi tries to get Han to open up a bit and talk. They end up talking a bit about their pasts and what they have in common and have a sweet moment around the edges of the campfire. Thea eventually interrupts with "We should really get some sleep" and convo dies down. Timeskip. In the middle of the night, Han hears a distant shuffling. Han is on watch and starts to wake Thea and Ani up, looking around but can't see anything in the darkness. There's a feeling of dread and like someone's watching before there's a sudden, sharp pain in the side of his neck. He can stumble and say a few things, but within 30 seconds, he'll fall down and everything will go black. @Lael (Han's POV) with @Jaybird

Chapter 3 - Thrown to The Wolves

1. Vel wakes up in a cell with Runi, cue convos and panic, confusion, all that. In the cell beside them, there's a young girl who tells them where they are and why they were brought there. That is, until Vel is taken out w/no explanation to another cell where a group of (human) healers who've been held captive at the games are forced to tasked with healing Vel's wing so that Vel can participate in the games - they don't have any harpies yet and they want to take advantage of that because of the "novelty" of it. Vel learns that the healers are tasked with healing injured and near-dead fighters to full health so they can go right back out into the games again the next day. It's very taxing, and Vel knows that more than anyone - especially since not all of the healers around her have as much experience or stamina as her. Vel gets healed and thrown back into her cell. @ScarlettFire (Vel's POV) with @Jaybird and @soundofmind

2. Thea wakes up in a cell with Ani and Han cue convos and panic, confusion again! They see what they assume to be guards walk by their cell, but they ignore them. They continue to talk until they hear a commotion outside - a barred window at the top of their cell opens up and light floods in. They can see into an arena, and two people walking out. An announcer shouts over the crowd, listing the magic of each mage stepping in, and it dawns on them what's going on. They may be able to tell that many of the observers in the stands are dressed like the army they saw in the mountains. @AvantCoffee (Thea's POV)

3. Runi is the first to get thrown into the games. She chops her long hair in the fight to escape from her opponent's grip and wins the fight. It's fight 'til knockout/'til the person can't get up anymore. (This is also when Runi finally snaps and there's a shift in her usual cheery attitude). @Jaybird (Runi's POV)

4. Ani's the next to go into the ring and is pinned against Kazimir, whom the announcer declares as their undefeated champion (he has electricity/lightning magic, which is considered rare). They have a fierce match, both putting up a good fight before Kaz gets knocked down. When on the ground he pulls Ani down to him and whispers to her quickly. First: "Pin me, or they won't buy it." Then tells her about a group of mages who escaped and are looking for people like her to join the resistance™. Kaz was trying to find them before he got dragged into this. Doesn't know where they are, but knows they're out there. Heard they might be in Gurak, somewhere hiding among the goblins but can't be sure. Then he says "this only ends if one of us gets knocked out" and Ani can clock him right there. Her victory would def cause a riot of mixed emotions in the crowd because Kaz lost (and technically let himself lose, so it's not as sweet of a victory, but also, Ani has important info now). @soundofmind (Ani's POV?)

5. Vel is put in the ring next as the only harpy, and the announcer definitely pitches it as something special: "see a harpy vs two werewolves!" One of them is Jay, but she doesn't know because they're both in their wolf forms. Her wings are bound so she can't fly away, but the moment the whistle blows to start the fight, he comes and instead of attacking her, snaps on the binds and breaks them and turns of the other wolf. He ends up fighting the other werewolf to keep Vel from getting hurt. Vel ends up flying out of the ring to attack guy in charge, gives others an opportunity to escape, she and Jay would hav to escape themselves - where Vel would swoop down in the ring, pick up Jay, and fly out. @ScarlettFire (Vel's POV) with @soundofmind

6. (at the same time as 5) The others are watching through the window as Vel is in the ring. When Vel attacks the announcer she creates a distraction, but the others still have to take advantage of it to get out. Han has an idea to create a distraction or something?... NOT SURE WHAT YET @Lael (Han's POV)

7. All of them are wounded/struggling, and Jay and Vel see the others (among other mages probably) and help them finish their escape? Don't know details on this yet but! More chaos - they run out but run into a big obstacle - a cliff, and the other way is blocked off by people chasing them. Vel is like "Hey, I can fly over it" and Thea can airbend but they can't carry EVERYONE out of there, so STRESS. Vel flies over, taking Han. Thea flies over with Runi. Ani has to hastily build a bridge of earth over the ledge but their pursuers are already on their tail and start to climb up behind them Ani and Jay (still in wolf form) make the leap as Ani makes the "bridge" crumble behind them and they roll over to the other side. @soundofmind (Jay's POV) and @AvantCoffee

Chapter 4 - If Only We Could Fly Above it All

1. They've been running for a while and finally stop. Everyone's still wounded, so Vel tries to heal everyone, but can't. This is where Vel has a moment where she kind of panics b/c she can't heal someone. She heals one of the group but can't heal everyone else, and cue sad harpy noises and reliving childhood trauma of not being able to heal little mouse. Ani gives her a pep talk and heart to heart while Jay tries to heal somebody and is only able to manage making like, some bleeding stop or something. Han steps in to help with taking care of wounds because he's knowledgeable of that stuff too. @ScarlettFire (Vel's POV)

2. Ani shares what Kaz told her. discuss how to move forward?

3. some rest between fighty things. bonding

4. more bonding

5. Almost get caught/killed again

6. Army of harpies swoop in?? i imagine that would make vel happy and i picture them only choosing to help b/c of vel and they save the others b/c they assume they are vel's friends

EARTH BEING WACK
harpies are dealing with water being polluted and trying to find a way to filter w/their best water and earth mages

Chapter 5 - Goblins and Finding Their Guild Master (last one)

1. Run into Kaz and other mages from the arena/gladiator games that escaped

At some point in the final battle of rescuing Idina and others, Runi gets hurt to the point that she can't move (somewhere in a field). Jay is the only one who can reach her, and he uses the fobidden magic to heal her ;)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm doing pretty good! I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with my online chemistry class, but I only have the rest of this week and all of next week before I'm done with it for good. I'm really excited to keep this story, and I'm happy that we have a copy of the plans here in case WFP goes down again!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

soundobooks

In The Wake of A Calamity
@ScarlettFire @Lael @Magebird @AvantCoffee @Featherstone

The Challenge: One point if you collaborate with one person on your post! One point for a minimum of 800 words!

And lastly, I really want to know how your character feels about the whole situation. If you take a moment - doesn’t have to be long - to express your character’s internal reactions, thoughts, and emotions in the face of their current crisis you’ll also get one point!
Completion Time: One month
Credits Awarded: Possibility of 3 points!

In the Wake of an Expiration, I submit this. :P
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:42 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

*breathes life into DT*

COFFEE'S GOT A POST IN THE WORKS!!! @AvantCoffee <_<
>_>

how's the progress coming??? :0 would you like any collaborative help??? am i an eager beaver, yes

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:16 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

I DO!!!! : ))))))))

It's progressing sporadically, but progressing nonetheless! I might not need collaborative help just yet, though I'll be sure to holler when I do c:

Also I thought I'd share the quick chart I made to help me remember the overview of the characters because I'm extra. It's more determined by which of the two options in each row the character leans more to (from what I've interpreted asdf), and you can ignore what I put for Meanie-mo - I just wanted to include him is all

Let me know if any of these seem incorrect! (so i can change them if needed c:)

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:53 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

YAYYYYYYY I can't wait to see your postttttt AAaaaaaAAaaaaaaaaAa I'M EXCITeD TO GET THE BALL ROLLING AGAIN

and omg, I zoomed into that chart... it is lovely. The things for Jay look right lol. Assertive pessimist who only sees the worst in people and is secure in his pessimism. *chef's kiss*

Also yeah he goes between stubborn and flexible and at the end of the day it really usually comes down to which will serve him more

Also your commentary for Meanie Mo is giving me life omg

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:15 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Is there such thing as like an optimistic pessimist or something? Because that’s how I feel about Han. :P He thinks negatively but he still has a part of him like “Well maybe... [something positive] will happen.”
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

*pokes with a stick*

*checks pulse*

*makes puppy eyes*

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:29 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

This is way too late, but I just realized I never replied to your post, @AvantCoffee! I think you pretty much nailed Runi. She can be perceptive sometimes, but I feel like that might be later on in her character development - right now, she's pretty much taking things as she sees them.

I can't wait to read your post, whenever you get it up! :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:46 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

In The Wake of A Calamity
@ScarlettFire @Lael @Magebird @AvantCoffee

The Challenge: One point if you collaborate with one person on your post! One point for a minimum of 800 words!

And lastly, I really want to know how your character feels about the whole situation. If you take a moment to express your character’s internal reactions, thoughts, and emotions in the face of their current crisis you’ll also get one point!
Completion Time: 1 month
Credits Awarded: Possibility of 3 points!

Soundobooks challenge expiration #1!
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll