z

Young Writers Society

Pokémon: New Horizon OOC

How common do you think Restored Pokémon should be?

Extinct; they should still only be fossils.
No votes
Currently exctinct; research on restoring them should still be in its early phases.
No votes
Extremely rare; research on restoring them should be in its late phases.
No votes
Very rare; some should have been restored already, but very few trainers know about this.
29%
Rare; most should be restored already, but not many trainers know about this and very few trainers actually own any.
29%
Uncommon; all of them should be restored already, and though many trainers know about them, few actually own any.
43%
Common; all of them should be restored already, and not only do all trainers know about them, but some also own one or more.
No votes
Extremely common; everybody knows about them and nobody is really surprised to encounter one.
No votes

Total votes : 7

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:53 pm
View Likes
Ventomology says...

If it wasn't clear, characters that appeared in the background in my post are @fraey's Vadim, @TheSilverFox's Nathan, and @Featherstone's Kele. Or, if you're thinking that no, they weren't there, then say something and we'll consider them npcs who have similar hair/pokemon to yours.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:43 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Those both were interesting posts! I must say I wasn't expecting the romance nor was I expecting an impromptu battle so I liked both ends of surprising events. I did think I noticed a certain dyed-hair kid in your post, Vento, so I'm glad that my intuition was correct.

(I'm working on a post right now! Partially slowly cause I'm watching golf.)
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:05 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

That was an awesome post, @Ventomology! Thanks for letting me sit in while you were writing it. Also, I applied the feedback you gave me on my post, so hopefully, Connor's and Jake's embrace and kiss isn't too unexpected (because the idea was for it to be unexpected nevertheless XD).

@TinkerTwaggy and @fraey, let me know if you need any assistance with your writing! Buggie got her post up extraordinarily quickly (I mean, she did in one day what I did in ten; it's not fair! *cries*), but don't feel rushed. I'm sure I'll be delighted even if it takes you longer to write than I did. ^_^

The results of the Eeveelution poll are looking interesting so far! Glaceon is currently the winner, but only half the cast has voted, so its lead is precarious.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:12 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Caught up with the second post!

No assistance needed, really! Though I will require your supervision later to make sure I don't break any rules (you know how I am, on first posts).

And boy, I am LOVING that Glaceon's in the lead! It's quite the pleasant surprise.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

293 Reviews

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:23 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

@fraey, that post was adorable! It's fitting how Vadim tried his absolute best to avoid talking to people, yet Nissa ended up drawing about as much attention as, if not more than, Connor and Peony arguing. :smt043

I really hope somebody will ambush him and force a conversation. For a kid from the country, he's actually somewhat of an attention magnet. *a rimshot sounds out of nowhere* :smt112
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:19 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Good day, everyone!

So, I was about to explain to Scarlett how the logic of learning moves works in this storybook's universe, but then I realised... if I've developed a section that I can just copy and paste between conversations... why don't I do that publicly? Here you go! If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a DM or PM, but you can also just ask here, if you're uncertain and don't mind everyone seeing your questions and my answers.

I wrote:Pokémon can only know four moves in the games and must forget one of those if it wants to learn a new one. I've always thought that's kind of silly. I totally get why it's needed in the games, good grief, but in reality? Nah, it's not logical. So, every move a Pokémon learns, it can use again later. Not necessarily very effectively, but they're definitely still usable. Our Pokémon can also learn moves for which you'd usually need TMs, or that they can't learn in the games at all. Which is better, since TMs don't exist in this story. (Like, really? Machines that directly upload the knowledge of how to use a move to a Pokémon's brain? XD) Most moves are either learned naturally, or they can be taught by move tutors.

Here's an example: Omnom's Turtwig learned Tackle shortly after birth. That's unsurprising, since anything can basically launch itself at another Pokémon, which is also why any Pokémon that can do this will learn the move, even if they didn't in the game. However, Torterra never learns Body Slam or later Double-Edge. Using this logic, it can! All a Pokémon needs to do to go from one to the other is to have more mass behind the tackle.

And here's an example of the tutoring: Buggie's Skitty can learn Wake-Up Slap, but before it can do so, it must learn Double Slap, since the one is a logical progression of the other. Her Glameow can technically learn Wake-Up Slap only through breeding, but because she learns Fury Swipes, which is close enough to Double Slap, she probably picked up Wake-Up Slap from the Skitty. So that's yet another way you can have Pokémon learn moves. It's not just official instructors that can act as move tutors — anyone that can logically instruct another in how to perform a move can be a tutor, though it's best if they can also demonstrate.

For other moves, a Pokémon might need more than one move as a prerequisite for learning a new one. Tort's Natu can learn Ominous Wind, only once it has learned Gust and Stored Power first, since you can see how it kind of combines both of them. I want people to be creative, since that's where all the fun lies!
— Paul the Apostle

40 Reviews

Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:19 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Posted! Well, it's good to be back in the SB game. I've got quite a few of those to catch up to but gotta start somewhere!
Also, didn't directly speak to Vadim, Sooo I guess that mission's failed — or at least, I won't be the one to break 'im out of his shell just yet XD
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:37 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I swear, I have been watching this thread and the notifications on discord!

But I know I have also been absent from active discussions (real life stress at me up SO quick). I made a post, so please let me know if I need to correct or adjust ANYTHING in regards to character or plot!
I make my own policies.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

That looks great @JabberHut! I’m glad my boy Vadim is getting some social practice going, and I like the reappearance of the mischievous Nessa XD
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

293 Reviews

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:27 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

A few things happened during the week, so I was absent from the site for a bit, but I'm back! (I had also started saying something, but never got around to it, so I'll finish my thought now.) :D

That was an awesome post, @TinkerTwaggy! (I fixed some formatting inconsistencies for you — those damned ellipses, ugh! XD) Heitor is as entertaining as I remembered, and Lippa is as cute as I remembered! Africa-earring lady is rude, but ugh, we both know there are people in real life who react that way to terms of endearment. Naturally, that means I hope she features again! Also, you've given me an excellent setup for Jake's post, but you've also made a terrible mistake introducing Heitor to him and Connor in that manner. :smt083

Your post was wonderful too, @JabberHut! Lilly and Vadim seem like they'll get along just fine, and the interactions between their Pokémon are simply adorable! I love how Apple just keeps trying to maintain order. XD Ezra probably wouldn't say "my dear flower" that much, or even at all, so I think there should be a reason for that. I already have an idea, so I'll DM you and we'll talk! And don't worry about your silence — real life stress is a very annoying thing.

Now, I have exciting news, everyone! Generation VII... is now open season! Yes, that means I've finally decided just to go ahead and check all the new Pokémon, so there's no more need for secrecy around Alola's mons. If you want any besides the Legendaries, Mythicals, and now also Ultra Beasts, feel free to catch them! Gen VIII, on the other hand, is something we'll assume to be non-existent. I decided to indulge my curiosity about Gen VII by resolving to avoid any and all spoilers for Gen VIII, so this way, it's easier to draw a hard line and embargo the generation in its entirety.

Finally, Espeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon are tied in first place, so we need our last two participants to vote! I'm taking an educated guess here and supposing those are @Featherstone and either @Sheyren or @Omnom. (We'll see whether I'm right. XD) Also, I've created a loading image for us to use between paragraphs! I'll be copying it into the first DT post, right below the header, but it's in the announcements channel in the Discord server too.

— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

All right, everyone! A few announcements:

• Credits have been awarded! The challenge would have officially expired this Sunday, but I've extended the deadline until the end of the month. Given the amazing post rate you've all been maintaining, I don't think you'll need much more time than that. XD

• I've seen mention of Penelope's Plusle on Ezra's shoulder in about half the posts that've been submitted and which have yet to be submitted. Just to be clear, Tit is Penelope's Pokémon, and though he undoubtedly likes Ezra, he'll return to Penelope once Ezra goes back to the entrance. She has a Minun as well, and the two cheerlead as people arrive. I hope whoever has yet to post will take advantage of that! (Feel free to bother me for a description of Penelope if you do feel like including her in your post.)

• Just to be sure we don't write past each other and potentially cause inconviences, notify people that you're using them in your post and mention how their character is featuring. This way, you can discuss your plans and come to an agreement that suits everyone. Or better yet, you could collaborate on a post! You won't be able to write solo forever, so the sooner you get used to multiple pairs of eyes looking at your work, the better. ;P

• Finally, our poll winners are Espeon and Sylveon, with five votes each! Honourable mentions go to Glaceon, Leafeon, and Umbreon as runners-up. Thank you for voting! ^_^
— Paul the Apostle

40 Reviews

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AstralHunter Thanks for fixing stuff for my sake, m'dear! Ugh, I thought I had covered everything, but as usual, I was incorrect XD Ellipses shall be conquered eventually :3
And hey, glad you still enjoy both Heitor and Lippa! 'Twas challenging to properly showcase her cuteness with lesser use of her voice, but I'll just have to learn moar animal noises to compensate!
AND YES, YES SHE FREAKING IS, but ugh, unfortunately, her reaction is, indeed, completely realistic. But yes, she'll definitely feature again! Would be a shame to leave her at just that.

But yes, you're welcome for the setup, and I... know what terrible thing I've done, but it's fine, it's the plan anyway XD

That being said: YAY! I CAN HAZ MOAR THAN JUST MINIOR! I mean, not that many of Gen 7 caught my eye, but still, options are cool.
Thanks for the loading image, too!

40 Reviews

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

I am double-posting for the sake of attracting attention to the fact that I haz posted! @JabberHut, @fraey, @Featherstone, do tell me if your characters have been portrayed well, and guillotine me if not!

Also, I'm surprised Espeon and Sylveon won, but congrats to 'em! I do hope we'll have more polls like that :3

293 Reviews

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:21 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

IT. IS. DONE!

Good gosh, Jake's post is 6720 words long! (A nice, round number, but also a very large number. XD) I guess that's what happens when you collaborate not only with one awesome person, but two! Thanks for a wonderful time, @ScarlettFire and @TinkerTwaggy! Everyone else, read it only when you're sure you have ten minutes or more to spare. ;)

Also, since lunch has been established, please browse the document linked beneath this paragraph to choose your meal! It's technically a dinner menu, but the RVYC doesn't list any others, so it'll have to do. Your characters can order whatever they like!
~ https://www.royalvan.com/files/MLDinner ... 202018.pdf
— Paul the Apostle

40 Reviews

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:01 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AstralHunter That is... longer than even my usual amount, WHY DID WE DO THIS, WE'RE INSANE

Ugh, we're going to need summaries for peeps after we're done with the first page, though luckily not all posts are of a length that citizens of YWS dislike to handle :3

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb