Young Writers Society

Aether's Heart OOC

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Woo! @Europa Haster looks like he's going to be a handful haha, accepted!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:10 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

And that leaves two...

sass levels loading

[he/him]

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92

378 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@Coffeeism I really like your character! I think the albinism is a unique twist on The Shadow.

There is one note that I have about your character, or a question rather. Tier three illusions create, basically, a carbon copy of your person. But it requires a magical artifact to hold that carbon copy, and can't be held for a long period of time. Soooo, what artifact would you say he has? I also think it's pretty interesting with the interactions of having a clone. Maybe there could be something wrong with it so it can't be seen in direct sunlight? Just to really nail that Shadow thingy XD

sass levels loading

[he/him]

92 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:58 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Haha well Illusions magic seemed the closest thing to suit a thief. xD Because (given his mother's influence) his is an unusual case, the mythical artefact he forfeited part of his soul to is in the magical current itself (gosh now that's a statement)... so I was thinking along the lines of a metaphysical stone or pebble? I hope that isn't too far fetched (it totally is but I want it to be okay even though I'm laughing at how far fetched I've made it). I am very open to other suggestions here. xD

And yeah! Not appearing in direct sunlight would work as an extra limitation, and would certainly lend itself to The Shadow role. I'm down for adding that to his CP~ Normally I stray as far away from strong powers and such as possible at the beginning with characters, yet somehow this ended up being "has stronger level magic yet isn't trained / doesn't use it because it's Dangerous"

378 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Interesting.... hmmm okay I'm trying to wrap my brain around this XD basically, how illusions work in YWU at the moment, is that the magical artifact holds a copy of the illusion "spell" like a data file, and the person speaks that password that opens it (with magic) to create the illusion. However, the magical artifact itself would still be intact and tangible, especially if the illusion were to end. So, the artifact being in the River itself (which, in essence, isn't really a physical, literal, or tangible thing XD) complicates things. Maybe I'm tired, but it's hurting my brain XDDD

If it were to be a physical object that Halason (I'm typing that from memory, so it's probably not right EDIT: DEFINITELY NOT RIGHT but hey I got the... syllables.. right?) holds for the illusion, what would you want? Because it not being physical might just break all of the Universe AND WE WOULDN'T WANT THAT

sass levels loading

[he/him]

92 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

(Pfft the way you spelt Aharon's name lmao)

A physical object is much more sensible, and that actually works completely fine with Aharon's CP thank goodness because I would very much appreciate a tangible, uncomplicated artefact. xD so BLESS, and also I would rather not break YWU or your brain oh gosh xDDD

I pondered a little, and probably a small stone from the hilt of Aharon's knife would be super as an artefact (only 'cause it can be removed and easily hidden)? Otherwise the knife itself? His mother (who would have come across mythical artefacts in her lifetime) could have provided it.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Now that you have a physical object for your magic and everything, Aharon (Halason loool) has been approved!

sass levels loading

[he/him]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:48 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Double posting BUT

Level Up!

We have leveled up!

If you haven't looked at the tome yet (you should! otherwise I will squint at you profusely), you may not have noticed that this Storybook has an experience bar, with different levels and different rewards earned each level. You naturally earn XP with the thing you do in the Storybook, whether it be writing DT or SB posts, or completing a challenge. There's a full breakdown in the Tome itself.

We have now officially reached Level One! Which means there are some rewards for your character. This means that there's a bit more work for you to do, personally, but most of these things I ask of you are just stating out aspects of your character that you would think about normally, such as their abilities and weapons.

So, here are the rewards we got with leveling up!

• 100 Gildar
      These are Synilas' currency, akin to gold coins. Your characters can use these Gildar in towns or trading posts to buy equipment in the story.
  • 1 Prophecy Power
      This is a unique power associated with your character's role in the Prophecy. They can either learn it in their intro post or it can be retconned in. I don't mind either way. :D
    • Those I still need Prophecy Powers from: @AlyTheBookworm @Chaser @Coffeeism
  • 1 Talent (& Profession)
      This is an out-of-combat useful tool that doesn't have to be unique, but related to the profession you choose for your character.
    • Those I still need a Talent and Profession from: @AlyTheBookworm @Chaser @Europa @Coffeeism
  • Common Weapons & Armor Outfit
      This is armor and weapons for your character, that's different from their outfit. Your character can either wear this underneath their outfit or on top, but you'd have to make a note of them changing into it in the story to prep for battles. This will be upgraded and swapped out in the future, as we get more rewards, so nothing that your character would be too attached to! You also don't have to fill out every category, just things that would make sense for your character.
    • Those I still need from: @AlyTheBookworm @Europa @Chaser @Coffeeism

If you have any questions or would like help, I would be more than willing to help! There are also examples in the Tome from those who completed theirs early :D

sass levels loading

[he/him]

92 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:54 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

WOO! Here's Aharon's stuff for the Tome:
Spoiler! :
Prophesy Powers
Magical Endurance
Aharon has more immunity to the destruction of his life essence when he activates his artefact, and greater magical endurance in general; he has notable resilience/resistance to magical attacks and wards, and can use the River as a deeper power source for longer than most without causing his own destruction – to a point. As a result, his Illusions ritual magic (in particular) can and usually is quite powerful – and may always be the strongest 'card in his deck'.

Talents
Thieving
With much practice and natural ability, Aharon has a knack for stealing – mostly pickpocketing, yet he has stolen in other ways less frequently. He uses misdirection, personal charisma, and improvisation largely to achieve this, however it isn't off the table for him to use "boring" methods of simple stealth (he just isn't as good at it—but don't tell him that).

Weapons and Armor
Main Weapon
Jambiya Knife
A knife with a curved blade, mainly used for self defence, yet also incredibly important to Aharon because it most often contains the mythical stone artefact his soul partly resides in. The artefact is secured to the knife's hilt inconspicuously. The hilt is made of a firm, dark wood embellished with a patterned metal rim where the blade meets the hilt, and two small stones on one side of the hilt at top and bottom – one of which is his artefact. The knife is stored in a highly decorated leather sheath, held in place by an equally decorated gypsy-like sash around Aharon's waist.

Offhand
N/A

Head
Turban
A black, scarf-like turban for covering his entire head if needed (for sun protection mostly, but also disguise and sand protection). The turban is otherwise worn as a scarf, waistband, or covering his head but not his face.

Torso
Coat and Pockets
A black (or debatably a very dark brown), hooded coat made of hard wearing fabric, accented with buckles and straps. It contains several breast pockets and two large, outer hand pockets for storing and hiding various items. The coat material and design allows for good movability while also preventing pesky sand getting into his upper clothing layers – which are tastefully gypsy-like.

Arms
Thin Leather Gloves
Thin yet durable leather gloves that allow for hand flexibility while still providing some protection.

Legs
Cotton Gypsy Pants
Breathable, comfortable, and perfect for wandering anywhere from urban marketplaces to the dunes of the desert. These pants have a rich, colourful pattern that would make a Persian rug jealous (if Persia was part of YWU).

Feet
Buckled Leather Boots
These boots are a 'steampunk-esque', cutting-edge fashion in Synila. They are durable, fairly good for long-distance travel, and fairly lightweight as far as boots go.

Accessories
Jewellery Assortment
Leather, beads, feathers, metal pendants – all in the various forms of cuffs, bracelets, and long necklaces.

I also wanted to say this before, but I love everyone's characters so far! :D And @AlyTheBookworm's image for Tyri is awesome (did you draw that yourself?)

378 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@Coffeeism I added your stuff to the Tome! Some of it is edited to cut out modern stuff, but I liked it all! I went ahead and added your sheath to your accessories, as it's unique enough to be separate :D

@Chaser Paimon has been accepted! I like her personality and the unique twist you gave to her power (and the backstory to it, oof, gives me Dumbledore vibes). Quick question! Do you have any yellow in her outfit? Since that's your color claim

sass levels loading

[he/him]

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

All these profiles look awesome! And Eli is probs gonna be doing his own thing lol. I'm not sure how he's gonna react to all the different people, but it's gonna be awkward and entertaining! XD

Eli: "Are...are you flirting with me?"
Lady: "oh, they're definitely flirting with you!"

Cue flustered and blushing Eli being all awkward and stutter-y lol
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

For Paimon

Spoiler! :

Prophecy Power:

Paimon is invulnerable to the elemental damage the ghost causes. These are often spurts of flame or rock, gusts of wind or even lightning and shards of metal.

Talent

Paimon is a great cook and can brew a few potions. She's more adept at collecting ingredients, but what she makes is still edible.

Common Weapons & Armor Outfit

Main Weapon

A sling. It consists of a large red leather strap that is worn at both ends. There is a small black pouch that the stone sits in while loaded. The sling is a little under a meter long when laid out.

Offhand

If she's not holding a stone, she's holding a bottle of something. Or firing the bottle.

Head

Paimon wears a large yellow cloak speckled with patches. It used to be brighter, but has since dampened to a dark mustard color. The hood sits lopsided when pulled up and makes her head look wraithly thin. She doesn't put the hood up much.

Torso

Paimon's jerkin is brown and ragged from years of wear. She keeps a vest for sales occasions in her backpack, but otherwise her clothes generally look steeped in grease.

Arms

A single black fabric glove on her right hand that she uses to protect herself while picking ingredients; the other one wore through a while ago.

Legs

I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!

Feet

Paimon's shoes are like two decomposed bricks. The material is hard teak, but it's been worn to the point where they feel comfortable regardless. They're a light brown, like her shorts.

Accessories

Paimon wears a pouch or two on her belt to collect ingredients with. On multiple occasions she has spilled lemongrass all over a tavern floor.

The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

@Coffeeism
Yeah, I did. Thanks! :D

@Omnom
Here's Tyri's stuff for the Tome:
Spoiler! :

Prophecy Power: Primal Sense

Tyri has a talent for primal sense, especially with its use as a form of "sight". This sense is so keen that she can "see" magic and the life forces of people, animals, and even plants. This allows her to read hidden magical texts imbued between the lines and sense hidden enemies.

Talent: Spellcasting

Tyri is a skilled spellcaster. Using her staff as a magical artifact, she can perform a good number of charms, jinxes, and glamors. Though it's a closely guarded secret, she knows a couple of forbidden spells as well but would only use them as a last resort.

Common Weapons & Armor:

Main Weapon: A plain, light-colored, wooden staff. It's used primarily as a magical artifact to cast spells, but is also durable enough to be used like a quarterstaff.

Offhand: A jeweled dagger. More decorative than practical, the dagger is a gift that Tyri keeps mostly for sentimental reasons. It could be used as a weapon, but only for self-defense and as a last resort.

Head: A long, hooded, blue cloak with silver embroidery. It's warm and well-made, but a bit worn.

Torso: A simple leather vest, worn over her dress and undershirt. It doesn't offer much protection, but is comfortable and lightweight.

Arms: A new pair of leather gloves. Tyri doesn't often use these.

Legs: A pair of comfortable brown leggings.

Feet: A pair of woven sandals. Well-made, but a bit impractical for long-distance travel. Tyri's been looking to replace them.

Accessories: A braided leather belt. A few pouches and a sheath for the dagger are secured to the belt.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@Chaser your stuff has been added to the Tome! I went ahead and added names to your descriptions, lemme know if you like them.

@AlyTheBookworm your stuff has been added to the Tome! A note: I went ahead and removed Tyri's knowledge of forbidden spells from your Prophecy Power, as I think that makes her too powerful in general, especially compared to the rest of our characters. I'm also a bit concerned on how much magic she knows in general, as both Primal Sense and Spellcasting require intimate connection with the River and years of training each. Do you perhaps have a Prophecy Power that is more closely related with The Seer itself?

Everyone (@Everyone? There should be a user with that name haha), I'm working on my post right now! :D for our intro posts, we won't be around anyone (unless in the off chance your characters know each other before this, but that's doubtful) so just show what your character would be doing normally before they hear the bell tolling.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki