z

Young Writers Society

Children of The Sky [DT]

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:19 pm
View Likes
trashykawa says...

hey y'all. This is the DT, feel free to ask any questions, requests, etc in here! If you're new to storybooks, don't be shy, I am too :)

Teams

Wind Weavers
1)Joren Grant (Scout) @AlyTheBookworm
2)Angelina Riding (Arion) @Liberty
3)Claudia Keam (Rebound) @Querencia
4)Orion Valasque (Star) @Omnom
5)

Sky Scrapers
1) Viola Turner (Replica) @starryknightt
2) Edema Wryte (The Wraith) @hiraeth
3) Maolán Smithy (The Smith) @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX
4) Rylee "Lee" Eksod (Arsenal) @TinkerTwaggy
5)Prince Caphriel Adrion Aestheri III (Echo) @ChildOfNowhere
Last edited by trashykawa on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am, edited 11 times in total.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 am
View Likes
Omni says...

I'm here to join! This sounds super interesting :D I'm not sure who my character is going to be just yet, but just wanted to let you know that I'm joining ^^
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Hello, @hiraeth, and long time no see! Glad you ended up creating your on SB, and quite a cool first one, at that! Beyonders was the only work of Brandon Mull I was truly familiar with, but glad he continued being awesome with concepts to inspire people.

That being said, I do have a couple of questions for ya!

•So, I get that powers are to be physical exclusively and nothing elemental or esper-like is to be considered, but to what extent? For instance, every human being has a limited degree of electric discharges and heat-generation. So, if my power is related to kinetic energy, can't I just produces usable heat or electricity without it being considered elemental? That's how The Flash from DC Universe or Pulseman from Game Freak create lightning bolts, for example (though in the latter case it's also because he's part-human, part-cybernetic).
Or hey, since anti-gravity powers aren't solely athletic, can I decide to just be able to create an exoskeleton of a chosen material? Because it can be used for athletic feats, too!

•Similarly, we can apparently have Magic weapons, but what specifications do they have? What's the level of technology in this world, and what is it I can do with it? Hard-light weapons? Steel? Heat? Solid water or I dunno, jetpacks or vibrating metal?

I already have an idea on what I want to do, but let's just say I always try to be careful not to break anything. I'm aware that the book series is purposely vague about its magic system due to the targetted audience, bit eh, might as well ask on how to spin the concept around without god-modding.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

98 Reviews

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 pm
View Likes
trashykawa says...

@kirkiln great! can't wait to see your character

@TinkerTwaggy limiting the abilities was actually just to prevent characters from becoming too powerful, and having elemental control would make it too easy for characters to break into the castles. I'm not very familiar with DC, but as far as I know, the flash has, like, super fast abilities, right? and he can use his kinetic energy to create heat? however, having the ability to protect one self from that high amount of energy would require, like, insane durability. that's double-power, right? so, too powerful. if you're talking super fast, i'd refer Dashiell Parr from The Incredibles.
And yeah, the exoskeleton idea works.

If you're talking about magic weapons, its not like you have a wand that you swish and flick to make something fly; It's simple enchanted things like a javelin that comes back to the owner no matter how many times it is thrown away, or a rope that has no limited length and extreme durability. things like that.You could have an invisibility cloak, etc but magical things like these could only be found in the sky castles. the magical weapons you have are your findings in the castles that you decided to keep instead of sell in the market.

Technology wise, lets imagine the world in Beyonders? so, no electricity.
Jetpacks have not been invented, but shoes or umbrellas that make you fly can be easily found in one of the castles. Vibrating metal is.... i don't know. u decide.
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 pm
View Likes
starryknightt says...

Definitely joining
Can't wait to get started
Looking for a Rhys in a world of Tamlins...

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

One question. These people are humans, right? And they have human characteristics, right? And they have something called books, right? And do they have something called pegusi?
*insert quirky signature here*

40 Reviews

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:15 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@hiraeth Yes, I could tell! An Airbender rip-off, for example, wouldn't even need much help to move through a sea of clouds, and any form of psychic powers would make it much easier to deal with conflicts.

In the case of the Flash, yes, he has super speed. That's essentially it, so no, he doesn't have two powers. By that, I mean that if you shoot him with a bullet while he's not looking, he's dead. If you stab his leg, he can't run. His body's simply adapted to the speed he produces, just like a very muscular human would be able to handle his own muscle mass. Same for Pulseman: he mostly works off kinetic energy to create his electricity, but he's pretty frail, and can't use any electric power when in contact with water because he's part cybernetic. So, drench him in water and he's basically just a normal guy until said water properly dries out.

That being said, the point of these examples was to make sure I could understand exactly what limits I have, which I'm not sure I do? Dashiell Parr from The Incredibles and The Flash are essentially the same concept, AKA they're speedsters. I could also throw Sonic the Hedgehog or Quicksilver into the mix, they all have one power, but it can get very very overpowered provided they're creative enough to use it well, which they all are.
So, as long as said power has at least one glaring flaw (ex: speedster can't go fast if legs are disabled/if he has no momentum), is it fine?

Yup, I'm aware! That's why I asked for the level of technology; since nobody's gonna have an enchanted wand in a steampunk world full of guns, for example. You'd just get a magic gun or armor.
Riight, so the castles hold all the enchanted stuff, and it's one practical spell per item. Got it! Aaah, now that's wonderful confirmation. Thanks!

Oh okay, so mostly medieval tech, 'cept in the sky. Gotcha.
As for vibrating metal, eh, if it's medieval tech, that should be for an enchanted weapon. I don't think it can be made without electricity (also knowledge), but it would make for a good spell to make a weapon really good at piercing things without it being game-breaking.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

98 Reviews

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 pm
View Likes
trashykawa says...

@Lib: yup, we're all humans. also, no pegasi in Caelum, but one never knows what kind of creatures may roam in the sky castles, so....

@TinkerTwaggy: one glaring flaw a power is perfect! vibrating metal sounds okay too.

@starryknightt : glad you could join us! your character's lovely <3
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

453 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Lol, @Lib. XD

Okay so... No?

98 Reviews

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 pm
View Likes
trashykawa says...

@Lib (:)) depends on ya (but remember, they can only exist in the castles, nowhere else)
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

40 Reviews

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@hiraeth Right, so more fantastical creatures can exist provided they're in the castles. Makes sense!

And thanks! This confirms pretty much everything I needed. Apologies for the long comments, but I won't need to be as thorough, like, all the time.

453 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 am
View Likes
Lib says...

Thanks!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:07 am
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

Hey! This looks like a super fun and interesting idea, so I thought I'd join. :)

Would enhanced super-senses (extremely good eyesight, hearing, etc) be an acceptable ability?

98 Reviews

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:54 am
View Likes
trashykawa says...

@AlyTheBookworm yeah those abilities are acceptable :)
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 pm
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

Thanks! I submitted my CP. Hope it's alright.

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci