Young Writers Society

Children of The Sky [DT]

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Now, to answer the rest!

@Awru There's literally an anime called Rising of the Shield Hero that is about a guy wondering how the heck he could be a hero with a shield even though it's a support-oriented power; then he gets creative with it and finds a way.
In your case, just because you have a Support-oriented power doesn't instantly mean you can't fight, or can't be useful outside of fighting. It, again, highly depends what the shape of the shield is. So, if that's the power you're going for, start googling for shields and see how they could be used.

Spoiler! :
So, I'll focus on a few things here, since as Swordsman said, only athletic-oriented powers would fit the SB.

2) It actually depends on both the creator of the power and the world around the person that has this power. If we live in a world where "items hold the memories of the places they're brought to", for example, then you can use a power that allows you to access the memories of random items of random places. But then you'd have to ask Hiraeth directly if that fits the world of Children of the Sky. It would be useful, but not necessarily fitting. Nervous system aside, to have a soul, you'd have to be a living being — and objects are not living beings. So, yeah, that would be magical in nature, which is completely fine! But again, it's better if it fits.

3) Well, y'see, limits are a part of a creator's imagination. Here's the reason I'm saying that:

The Infinite Tsukuyomi is an illusion technique that, when used, takes the entire world, as in, an entire planet inside of an illusion and basically no one can come out since it's their life energy that's used as fuel for the illusion to continue. So, technically, as long as people are alive, the spell doesn't stop, and everyone is falsely happy because they all live in a different illusion of their making.

Now, the guy that made this didn't add limits just because "I have to be realistic", no, it's because if there was no limit, this power would be unbeatable. If we have just "making illusions", you could do something like that, and then create illusions powerful enough to basically just hold every enemy in place; then there's no conflict, no battle and no stress for anyone.
Infinite Tsukuyomi, however, is a spell that takes a lot of time, effort and conditions to activate.
So, again: if you'd like to make illusions, what limits would you place? Because no, not all types of illusions are overwhelming to the same degree. Some of them are only auditory. Others are sensory. Others affect only the eyes or the taste. Others are touch-oriented, and others still affect your pain receptors. Not all illusions last the same amount of time, too. Heck, some illusions can even alter your perception of time or space.

So, yeah! Making illusions. How? With your character's eyes? With his shield? By touching people? Then, what does it affect? And what effects does it have on both victims and user?

5) Now, I gave the Sharingan example because that limitation (trauma of loss) is linked to a world where most characters are ninjas. So, you're likely to experience that kind of trauma. Combining eye-related powers to random side-effects (like optic blast + trauma of loss), however, doesn't necessarily make them work.

Anyway, yes, you could keep the shield as a magic item for example, but it still depends on what you want to do with it. You could have your shield amplify your eye-based powers; you could have your shield change shape and size depending on if you need to defend, attack or support; you could have your shield be a boomerang; you could use your shield as a transport item for other weapons; etc.

This is where your "the world of imagination should be limitless" line comes to play. We could give you ideas, but at the end of the day, this is your character concept. Surely, there aren't just elemental powers that you liked in Percy Jackson. Surely, there are books, series, animes, cartoons, tv shows, video games or heck even paintings that have interested you before. Use that to fuel your creativity.
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 am
View Likes
Lib says...

@hiraeth - I could go after you, if anyone doesn't mind. I'm a Wind Weaver. :)
*insert quirky signature here*

453 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:31 am
View Likes
Lib says...

Oh, I got a question. Don't mind me, I've never done SBs before.

Okay, so when you continue on with the story, after Tinker's post, you have to continue on from there but from your own character's POV?

Another question - it's quite impossible that we're all thinking the same thing on how things look like... So, how is the next people supposed to describe stuff? Like how the castle looks like - that's be a great thing to show.

40 Reviews

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Please call me Twaggy, and why can't I finish this sentence with a thumbs-up to make it sound friendlier, I miss my stupid phone

Yes, you solely write from your character's point of view, even if you're in third-person!

As for the other question, well a castle looks the same regardless of how you look at it. So, let's say a castle has 3 towers: even if you switch characters, it will always have three towers. You could have, however, one character that doesn't bother describing them because he doesn't care/has already seen it before, but your character may be like "HOLY BUDDHA A CASTLE WITH THREE TOWERS" and describe them in more detail.

So, it depends on what you want to do and how your character's like!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

453 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am
View Likes
Lib says...

Okay! Thanks. :) Twaggy. (I love your username by the way. It's amazing with your avi.)

40 Reviews

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:25 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Ya welcome! (Why, thank you! Huh, I figured it actually sounded super cartoony compared to this TRIDENT-BEARING BAT-EARED CAT FROM MAGIC PURPLE HELL that serves as my avi — name's Vampire Cat — but hey, glad to know it actually fits!)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm
View Likes
Awru says...

@hiraeth Oh gosh and here i was thinking there would be some epic fighting and i need to come up with fighting powers stupid stupid stupid.I misunderstood the whole scenario.Basically we just have to go from castle to castle room to room searching for that thing the only fight ever possible is if some kind of freaky creature shows up in one of the rooms.I am glad you cleared that up.Man that was dumb Lol

@TinkerTwaggy Thanx for the detailed reply it certainly helped and i agree with you it is time to let my imagination run wild.The things are cleared up now so can focus on that kind of powers which can actually help during the whole journey.

Phew!I feel out of breath
Even
After
All this time
The Sun never says
To the Earth
"You owe me"
Look
What happens
With a Love like that
It lights the
Whole
Sky

40 Reviews

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Awru Youuuu do not need to beat yourself up for it, I assure you! Mostly because uh, there could be some epic fighting. Like monsters inside castles, for example. It's just not the main goal, and again, even if there was some epic fighting, not everyone in a fight has fighting-oriented powers.

But yes, pretty much! Enjoy yourself.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:32 am
View Likes
trashykawa says...

yeah, like Twaggy said. of course we're going to have to fight; we're in constant danger inside the castles - but sometimes that's not all. sometimes it's mind games and castles that mess with your perception to deceive you; sometimes there'll be mazes, and civilization to hinder your progress, etc etc. we're gonna have to fight, but that's not the main point of the SB. plus, i'm thinking at one point (in the very, very far future), the teams will unite once they realize the king isn't as just as everyone thought it was. that's when the real figting begins. but till then, it's brain games and adaptability.
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

67 Reviews

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am
Awru says...

@TinkerTwaggy yes u r so right i have been beating myself up.Overthinking and stressing.Mainly bcz its like the first ever storybook i have participated in so yeah definitely over anxious.But now i will enjoy myself not get stressed out.I got so over enthusiastic about it that i ditched my homework and got scolded so bad.But not anymore
Even
After
All this time
The Sun never says
To the Earth
"You owe me"
Look
What happens
With a Love like that
It lights the
Whole
Sky

40 Reviews

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

No problem!

Do tell, when your character's ready for submission!

67 Reviews

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm
Awru says...

Ok!I will
Even
After
All this time
The Sun never says
To the Earth
"You owe me"
Look
What happens
With a Love like that
It lights the
Whole
Sky

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

What is this "Shield" you all are talking about?

Do you mean a "Smash Board"?

40 Reviews

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

•If this is a joke, I am missing too many elements of it and am therefore unable to react to it. Sorry!
•If this is a serious question, then that should be rather easy to check, because Google is awesome.
•If this is a YWS-related advertisement, I have no idea what it's supposed to advertise and am therefore about as lost as in the first case.

Cheers anyway, though!

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Smash board. Take the board in two hands and smash it into the face of your enemy. Valid weapon in any scenario. I know nothing of this shield you speak of. >.>

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird