Young Writers Society

The Quest for the Slime King [DT]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun May 05, 2019 7:59 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

You're welcome! Never be afraid to ask for help if you're unsure about how storybooking works - I'm always happy to explain things and lend a hand.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon May 06, 2019 5:17 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Even if you did sound stupid, @Dilbert64, we'd prolly still just laugh it off and help either way. In this case though, eh, no need to insult ignorance! It's faster for you to ask, anyway.

Also, Pharin seems fun! Veeery Fun. Did not expect an elf artificer, but ohohooooh, saving the world might just supply him with the fame he needs to properly showcase his talents and promote them!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

40 Reviews

Tue May 07, 2019 4:23 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

I am double-posting for the sake of attracting attention to the fact that I have posted my Character Template!
@Magestorrow Enjoy the early read, m'dear! This one's longer than my usual ones, but eh, it doesn't help that Zai On's not the character I usually create.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed May 08, 2019 3:27 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Ah! I just noticed the new CPs. I'm excited to read through them soon (and get mine up too!) But for now, I'll be attempting to work together a history for my character :)
always daydreaming, always clumsy

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm also still working on my character, but they should be up in the next week or so! I'm thinking my character is going to be a drow swordsman, though I still need a name and a history. But I'll figure that out soon~
mage

queer and here.

40 Reviews

Wed May 08, 2019 11:17 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Featherstone AND I THOUGHT MY CP WAS LONG, JESUS, FEA. XD This may just be your most detailed SB character so far, I am lovin' it

And good luck with your respective characters, ladies! If anything, I hope the CPs will serve as neat inspiration triggers of sorts.

373 Reviews

Fri May 10, 2019 10:45 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Agh I am writer-blocked on how to come up with a background for my character. Maybe I'll read the other CPs to get inspiration

40 Reviews

Fri May 10, 2019 11:18 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@PrincessInk Oh, hey, only now am I noticing your Sheeta avatar from Castle in the Sky. Nice switch, nice character and: NICE. AS. HECK. MOVIE.
Ahem.
Well, you've already found the kind of powers you want for your character, so assuming you have typical preferences that sit well with your usual writing choices, you could easily start from there! Y'know, preference + powers chosen = background relation to said preference and powers.

So, d'you have any recurring element you love to use as a writer? Personally, one of my favorite gimmicks/tropes is "hanging out with yourself", for example — which is why a lot of my early characters had a voice in their head to speak with in any situation, an NPC created for quality banter, or a notepad the character would use to break the flow in order to narrate something to himself.
In the case of Twinkiel, my PMD character, he's an electric sheep that starts his adventure with little to no memory, but an automatic voice in his head shows up every time he remembers something/uses his electric powers. It ended up shaping the sub-plot of his growing insanity because, by the 4th to 5th post, he could have full conversations with that voice instead of it staying automatic.

Though I have no idea how you could apply your version of that, I do know that going back to the basics of whatever floats your boat + what you came up with in this current setting should surely help you get off the writer's block, or at least, I hope it will. So, yeah! Any preferences?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Tort seems to have you covered with character creation help, so I'll just pop in quickly and say that this weekend is actually going to be freer than I was originally anticipating - so I'll probably have time to get up a character profile before the end of it!
mage

queer and here.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Hello, I decided to join! I couldn't resist. You guys can blame @Magestorrow for lack of impulse control!

I'll be joining with an Elf, but he may not be full elf. Hmm. >.>
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

373 Reviews

Sat May 11, 2019 1:19 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Thank you so much for the advice Twaggy! :D

Hello Scarlett! Lovely to see you here! And haha, my character happens to be half-elf lol! :P

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat May 11, 2019 1:23 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Haha, Ari is technically not a full-blooded elf, but yeah. This should be fun, @PrincessInk !
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 11, 2019 7:20 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Welcome (officially) to the storybook, @ScarlettFire! I can't wait to write this with you. <3

I finally get my character profile up, so feel free to check it out whenever you get a chance!
mage

queer and here.

373 Reviews

Fri May 17, 2019 3:50 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

*poke poooooke*

So, I posted my CP! (My character Ren is half-nymph after all xD) Also, let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 17, 2019 7:15 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

She looks great! I made another post on my wall and over in the Storybook Club looking for more writers, but - whether they join or not - we should be officially starting the storybook in the next few weeks. <3
mage

queer and here.

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan