Young Writers Society

Pure-Hearted DT

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:10 am
View Likes
trashykawa says...

hello!
updating to say that i haven't been able to finish the post- terribly sorry! but I promise, my exams end friday the 21st, and i'll have it ready by saturday. promise. cross my heart.
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:08 am
View Likes
Europa says...

No worries.Good luck and thanks for the update, hiraeth!

98 Reviews

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 am
View Likes
trashykawa says...

Hi! I've posted! It's very tiny, and that after making y'all wait so long, but I don't know how far to go with it- there's only so much one can write about mourning, and I'm not sure how much i should be tweaking the plot.

Also, whoever let me write in first person past tense for Mira? my writing style has changed so much since june, i kinda deviated to third person past tense.

if there's anything i need to change, do say!
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

45 Reviews

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 am
View Likes
Europa says...

Nice post, hiraeth! I’ll go next for Monica, and start the whole government intervention plot point, if that’s the direction everyone wants to go.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 am
View Likes
AlyTheBookworm says...

Great post! :)

And that sounds good to me, Europa.

45 Reviews

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Okay, so, per the norm, the end of the school quarter for me means I'll be devoting most of my time to finishing off strong, but I'll still be working on my post bit by bit when I have the time. I'll try to get it out by sometime next week since that's spring break for me.

45 Reviews

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:48 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Well, Good news is I'm almost done, but I've decided to change direction in my post since it's occurred to me that these kids probably need a break to do normal teenager things. So, no government intervention quite yet. I was thinking before that they should have at least one run-in with Caroline and her crew that gets caught on film with a bystander or something so they can be properly revealed to the world before the world comes after them. After I post, I'll put a list in the DT of Caroline and her team's personalities and powers.

That being said, after they've had their fun shopping, how does everyone feel about a showdown?

98 Reviews

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:50 pm
View Likes
trashykawa says...

showdown sounds fantastic
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91

45 Reviews

Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:17 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Okay, posted! They may not show up until everyone's done being normal teenagers, that's pretty much up to you guys, at any rate here's the low-down on Caroline and her team.

Spoiler! :
Caroline's Team
Almost everyone on Caroline's team are Gatekeepers, members of Onyx's social elite. The position is reserved for powerful, fanatically loyal Grim who can act as his enforcers, personal guard, or as his attack dogs as they are now.

Caroline
Jack's former friend, who threw her away after embracing her identity as a Grim. Caroline is driven, cruel and power-hungry, determined to rise in the Gatekeeper's ranks and earn Onyx's favor. She enjoys having power over others and often goes out of her way to lord over those weaker than her. She hopes that ending Monica will allow her to move into her vacant spot as Onyx's right hand. Caroline has a quick temper and lashes out without thinking when pushed to her limit. While her powers are equally if not more dangerous when she is enraged, she’s also less precise, and easier to turn against her. She's tall and wiry, with long brown hair and burning amber eyes. She dresses in a simple green tank and cargo pants, a leather bandolier with pouches containing different types of stone stapped across her chest.

First Power-Earth manipulation. Caroline can move and bend any type of earth to her will, the bigger or more complex the command, the more energy and concentration it takes to complete.

Second Power-Alter Form. Caroline can change the state of the earth she manipulates. Sand, rock, magma, as long as its rock she can do it.

Marcus
Tall and strong. Marcus is graced with a halo of golden curls and his eyes, once blue, hold a strange purple tint and sometimes even appear crimson. He wears loose, flowy clothing mostly in gentle shades of white and cream. Pair this with the set of tawny wings sprouting from his shoulder, and he looks truly angelic. Marcus is at his core good-hearted, serving as the voice of humanity and reason for his teammates, but Onyx's especially strong grip on his mind keeps him pious and complacent, seeing this mission as a necessary evil in the interest of peace. That being said, he still hates to see others suffer too much and can be hesitant when it comes time to use brute force.

First Power-Animal Shapeshifting. This is a common power, but Marcus is especially adept at it, able to change from one form to another quickly and seamlessly.

Second Power-Hurricane Blast. Marcus can breathe in large amounts of air and blow it out at gale force. He can only do this for up to a minute before he runs out of breath.

Mari
Arguably the most powerful member of their team, as well as the youngest at only ten years old. Mari has no interest in power or glory, only agreeing to do Onyx's dirty work for the thrill of the hunt. Mari is childish and playful, twisted by Onyx's influence into sadism. She enjoys seeing her victims squirm, and uses often uses her power as a means of entertainment. Although she is powerful, she’s also young and the nature of her powers makes her much easier to defeat once she’s isolated from the rest of the team. She looks and dresses like an old china doll (the cursed kind) pale, bloodless looking skin, blue eyes wide and staring, lips continually quirked in an eerie smile. Her hair is sleek and jet black, reaching down to her knees. She wears a pale blue dress tied in the back with a big blue bow, high white socks, and black shoes, along with a pair of lacy white gloves.

First Power-Poison Touch. Mari can paralyze anyone with a touch. To paralyze their full body, she has to touch them with all five fingers, otherwise, she only deadens the body part she came in contact with. The effects do wear off eventually and will wear off quicker the greater the area paralyzed. (For example, paralyzing one arm might take an hour to recover, whereas the full body would be fine within five minutes) this power is passive but requires skin on skin contact to activate, hence the gloves.

Second Power-Puppeteer. Mari can take control of people’s bodies and contort then to her will. When it comes to controlling other Purehearts, she can’t access abilities that aren’t passive, in other words, she could use Yohan’s strength but not Monica’s shockwaves. Mari can only control one person at a time, and if her focus is disrupted she’ll lose control of her victim.

Liam
Officially, Liam isn’t considered a Gatekeeper. He’s the Technopath assigned to their team to provide them with gadgets when necessary and act as their mechanic. Liam is timid and demoralized, resigned to let the Grim in charge (namely Caroline and Mari) treat him how they want. He has gentle brown eyes and dark hair that stand out from his just barely tan complexion. He still wears the stark white uniform of the Purehearts, but with the patch bearing their insignia stripped off.

First Power-Technopathy. Liam can control machines but is limited by the condition and specific function of the machine he’s controlling.

Second Power-Construction. Like all almost all Technopaths, Liam’s second ability grants him the ability to see exactly how a machine functions, how to fix it when necessary, and how individual pieces should fit together to construct any contraption he can think of as long as he has the tools and resources to do so. While he can build things slightly more advanced than modern technology if he has the right components, he can’t build anything outlandishly futuristic.
Some additional information, Technopaths all have pretty much identical power sets, except for the few like Jack who have Electrokinesis as a secondary power. They were designed to be disposable, easy to replace because each one was exactly like the other, and were treated as such even before the Grims took over. Nothing much has changed for them since.

Well, since this was the beginning of the round, the next post is open to anyone who wants to claim it!

45 Reviews

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:42 am
View Likes
Europa says...

Double posting for a general SB update!

@Chaser suggested diving deeper into Father, who he really was, and I thought the idea was fantastic since he’s so entangled with everyone’s past in one way or another.

So, I thought that maybe after clashing with the Gatekeepers for the first time, team goes back to Samira’s idea of raising their own army. Since they don’t have a way to go back to the compound and search for answers, they decide to go to the source of their powers, Father himself, in the hopes that unraveling the past of their enigmatic former leader would lead them to the secret behind their powers.
This would inevitably lead them to the truth about Father, his past, all the lies he’d told them about how and why they were created, and more than a few shocking secrets about Father himself that would probably shatter the lives of the people who still hold loyalty to him. I feel like a mission like this would give the Purehearts direction that the story is lacking right now, but what do you guys think?

Also I don’t think I directly said this before but the Gatekeepers were intended to be recurring villains, so whoever posts next feel free to kick their butts if you think the gang can pull it off, but don’t kill them. Speaking of posts how is everyone doing schedule-wise? I know summer’s creeping up and testing season is right around the corner, so if you guys think it would be best to pause the SB like we did last time, let know and I can totally make that happen!

So far the people who haven’t yet posted for this round are @HazelGrace16, @Chaser, @hiraeth @AlyTheBookworm (I know you guys posted like super recently but still going for the poke) and me for Jack

45 Reviews

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:32 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Alrighty, judging from the likes that post got, I’m guessing that’s the direction we want to head, so let’s do it! There’s still the matter of who posts next though to be sorted out. Aly and Hiraeth were the last two to post in this past round, which leaves me, @HazelGrace16 and @Chaser. I can do a quick post for Jack if no one else knows quite where to go yet, but I would prefer to wait for a bit before I post again.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

I can’t write a post until after this week is over
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

45 Reviews

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:22 am
View Likes
Europa says...

That’s alright, just anxious to keep momentum going. If you’re down to post after Spring break, then I can post after you!

45 Reviews

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:33 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

So, Hazel got in touch with me and told me she needs some time to sort out some real life things going on, So I think I'm going to go ahead on post for Jack, unless anyone else wants to take that posting slot!

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina