z

Young Writers Society

In Service to the Hierophant DT

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:50 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Apologies for double-posting, but it's a new page, so it doesn't matter!

I've added some master golems for the four most popular lines in the two Watches, as well finally introducing the disbanded fourth Watch! At this point, the developing the lines has come at the cost of variety, so if anybody has any ideas for a golem specifically, that'd be great! I can add more on my own, but if I know what you want or find interesting, that'll make things easier. For the Skywatch, for example, I don't know how you feel about pasting wings on things (dragons are a bit overdone, so I don't think I'll be including those), and for the Woodwatch, I don't know how you feel about mammals (they're also a bit overdone).
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:59 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

-Deepsea fish that fly for Skullwatch

-Anti-air frog golems

-Axolotls
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

177 Reviews

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:56 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

-A caterpillar golem that acts like a mini-aircraft carrier, carrying a bunch of smaller butterfly golems
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

293 Reviews

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Those are all awesome ideas, and I'll definitely see what I can do! As for that last one, I had the same idea, except with bees or wasps (a little unoriginally). XD
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:06 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

I don't have any cool golem ideas, but I do have some plot ideas

For the slice of life aspect: magical prank war

For the more action-driven aspect: maybe every so often a larger mission that all the characters can hand together and participate in?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:16 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Golem-wise, I had flying manta rays with pretty much the same function as the caterpillar - except for the Skywatch. Also? Radar-like detection with their frontal... Uh...
...They're not antennae, but I forgot what they were called, but yeah, enemy-detection carriers. Would also be useful for general golem transportation, because I mean rays already do that in real life. We could also have giant chiropterans, and I feel like that would be a fun, underused way for mammals to feature, instead of dragons! We could also have flying serpents or straight up Nagas, come to think of it.
And for the Woodwatch, well I don't know what kind of forests the Woodwatch have to explore, but I'd love to have one so dark that bioluminescence is actually necessary for (to some degree), so you'd have so nasty, ground-based angler fish golems, or heck, even just firefly ones. Food for thought!

Plot-wise, oh boy, the exploration of said dangerous super dark part of whichever forest would be dark enough to require bioluminescence in. I feel like it would be a great place to start for the Woodwatch. For the Skywatch though, I'm not sure - I'll think about it some more.

EDIT: Found something! A joined activity. We should start with a festival, a gathering, a tournament or any combination/variation of the three so that the Skywatch and the Woodwatch can meet, know themselves and the other party and all. Would be a great way for our characters to have a basis to work with before they separate into other missions! Since we're new recruits or the likes, we could also start by physically going to every place of the current map. More experienced members are prolly already doing their jobs, so that'll leave us time to know the field we're gonna defend.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

177 Reviews

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

I'll take Water as my element.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:46 am
View Likes
Vellichor says...

@AstralHunter I was meaning to ask if there might be room for another to join the SB?
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

293 Reviews

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Sorry for my sudden absence, everyone! Yesterday caught me a bit off-guard, so I only got to add the golems I had already planned by then, but there are definitely more on the way before I'd consider myself done with that edit! I have your awesome ideas to include, after all! We visited family today, so I'm only getting around to that now and might only finish it tomorrow.

Of course, @Vellichor! There is room for however many people want to join, since we're only at the character profile phase still. The more, the merrier!
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:01 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Okay, yeah, this past week floored me, and while I had hoped to catch up this weekend, I had an assignment due tomorrow, so I had to work on that instead. I just want to finish my list of golems, damn it! XD

Speaking of which, I promise you that your ideas will feature, Chaser and Tort! I just need time to write the things. I need to time to write my CP as well, but I I have four days of homework with which to catch up as well, and there will be presentations being handed out and happening this week, so I can make no promises.

Anyway, a challenge is out, and I believe that's a good starting point! Europa has chatted with me about the nymphs, and we got some awesome ideas out of it! We weren't sure whether nymphs were a separate species from humans, but I don't think they should be. It could either be a recessive gene that's expressed, or it could simply be random chance that a master soul inhabited the body, as opposed to a regular greater soul.

One final thing, before I forget! (This will be added to the introductory post at some point.) The nomenclature for names in Kalandrel typically involves -el, -iel, -er, and -phon appearing at the ends of names for males, and -elle, -ielle, -ar, and -phina for females. Of course, if your character is originally a foreigner or has family that are of foreign descent, you can use whichever name you like. But the option is at least here now.
— Paul the Apostle

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Yeeeah, had a busy week as well, so I can relate XD Done with a good chunk of my exams for now, though, so I've caught up enough to finish my CP! It's currently waiting for approval, so enjoy readin' it, m'dear! Hope I didn't get anything wrong anywhere, but do correct it if I did, of course.

Yay! Can't wait to see how our ideas will feature. Should be fun!
Lovin' the idea that Nymphs are "just" modified humans, too. I'm definitely going with a Foreigner character, so she won't respect the established nomenclature, but I'm very interested in the fact that there is one :3
#IsASuckerForNaming
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

177 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:26 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

I've submitted my character. Caduciel Rivenrie reporting in.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Finally! Delphina's character page is up and pending!

293 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Ahhhhh, guys, those character profiles are some of the most entertaining I've ever seen for any SB! And this combination of characters will make for such fun writing! I really can't wait to start this thing, so what I shall do is: finish the golem list tomorrow, write my CP, and then award the credits you've earned. I'm super pumped! :D

Oh, Chaser, by the way, how do you pronounce Caduciel's name? I assume it's "Ka-doo-si-el", but C's are tricky letters. I just love how prickly and cold he is, and when I read that he and Delphina are siblings in the latter's CP, my jaw dropped. It'll be awesome having Rumishu and my character be caught in the middle of that rivalry. And getting to see the characters grow, it's just... the prospects.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

I accidentally deleted it and had to complete it a second time, but my character profile is finally submitted! We had two females and one male, as well as one Skywatcher and two Woodwatchers, so now there is literally equal gender and watch representation all across the board! Lyle is potentially the most submissive/introverted yet simultaneously amorous character I've ever written! This'll be a very interesting experience.

Now, considering that we're all ready, I figured we could probably keep this storybook equal ratios slice-of-life and adventure. Is there anything in particular you want for the start? If there is no consensus or if you're fine with anything, it'll just be basic mission stuff. Oh, but the SB must start with our characters moving into the apartment. If you want to write yours leaving their old place, that's fine! But I figured it's best if we get them to meet as soon as possible. I'll make the new challenge as soon as we have come to a decision!
— Paul the Apostle

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus