Young Writers Society

365 Days as a Monster Hunter DT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:02 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Discuss plot thoughts or ask questions here! I'm probably going to wait for a few slots to fill up before I make my character but I'm likely going with a human monster hunter.

If you want to be a monster monster hunter, pretty much anything is open if you can find it in British mythology. So think vampires, werewolves, brownies, grindylows, ghosts, witches etc. Here's a few places to find ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... _creatures
https://countryfile.production.wcp.imds ... -discover/
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

So I'm thinking I'll probably play a male character who's a human hunter but I may write from a second character's perspective as well because I feel like the monsters deserve equal representation :D
Writing Gooder

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:22 am
View Likes
QueerHumanBean says...

I'd love to join this...
Can I?
It sounds like something I'd be good at (it's my first one)
-Beans
Been exhibiting homosexual behavior since Roman Times
Why am i here?
For all of you.
Please don't leave me now

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm
Rydia says...

Of course Beans, please do! And let me know if you need any help with submitting the character profile or anything like that. If you hit the subscribe button at the top of this page and the storybook page then you'll start getting notifications for these threads :)
Writing Gooder

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:04 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

I have to admit: I first thought that this was about Monster Hunters, like, the games. With Gunlances and big swords. Am I disappointed? Pff. I read the Wardstone Chronicles, so no, no I'm not XD

Hmmmm... Now I am interested, and would definitely like to take a Monster Monster Hunter that can morph into a cat, and luckily, there's plenty of those in English folklore! Questions, m'dear: how supernatural is this story in terms of weapons and catching tools and all, and is it possible to have Monster hybrids? I'm only asking because OF HOW HUMANS MADE DOGS, and also because if Monster Monster Hunters were kidnapped or used by Monster Hunters, I'd wager that they'd try to make the best pet or best "radar" they can, since they'd have knowledge over how to do so that normal humans wouldn't - kinda like a mix between Pokémon Breeders and Wardstone Chronicles' Spookers.
...I am loving that potential mix.

That being said, hmm, I think I'm gonna play a Monster Monster Hunter to begin with, but maybe I'll partner him with an Aware Human-transitioning-to-Monster-Hunter, A Monster Hunter outrihgt or just... Keep whatever I decide as an NPC. Hmmmm... But I could change that and go for a deadpan Monster Hunter human girl...
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

40 Reviews

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:31 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

I am double-posting because I don't want the previous comment to be too long, and also to bring attention to the fact that hey, one character template's done and shall be submitted after my questions have been answered, @Rydia dear! Just in case I need to modify things here and there after you do

I think I'll go with my usual tendencies and have one character and a small circle of NPCs. Well, at least two or three.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

40 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:48 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Rydia Happy Halloween, m'dear! Just poking to make sure that you - and by extension this - still exists.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:26 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Sorry for the delay @Tortwag! My week got way busier than I wanted it to get but I am here to answer your questions now :D

Supernatural weapons can definitely be a thing, like... they'd need ways to take out the monsters and different tools would work better against different beasts.

I'd say keep it relatively low tech - no laser guns or thing that make it too easy but feel free to be inventive.

Monster hybrids are allowed but keeping the more vicious monsters alive would generally be frowned upon, even for things like experiments. That's not to say it couldn't be done in secret though!

Also, Happy Halloween to you too :)
Writing Gooder

40 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:14 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Rydia That is fine, m'dear!

•Right, so do they have staples, then? Like, Wardstone Spookers have salt (also badass staves) + a variety of superstition-driven tools, Ghostbusters have their Proton Units and sci-fi based gadgets, what would be our staples? Fantasy, magic, sci-fi, organic or whatever we want them to be?

•Oh, this answers that, actually. Low tech, got it. Mm, I'mma go with modern items to ancient ones, then. stuff like net launchers or like tasers or something next to spears and staves wouldn't be too OP, right?

•Yeeeeah, I didn't plan to use anything vicious, because the more vicious the hybrid, the harder it is to keep in line, which would be a problem. But hey, true! Secrets work. I'll be submitting my CT to see what's up, then!

EDIT: Done! I'll let you judge if this works or not. If not, tell me what's to modify, m'dear! I'm all ears.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 pm
Rydia says...

I think the staples would be things like silver knives, warding runes, salt, wooden stakes, etc. But feel free to get inventive! There could be spell inscribed weapons and tasers, spears, net launchers etc are definitely okay! Some Monster Hunters may be traditionalists, preferring the older tools, while others may be a it more experimental.

And I love the character - all perfectly in line! :D
Writing Gooder

40 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:54 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Gotcha! Medieval standards + modern inventivity. Thanks for answering my questions, m'dear! That'll give me a good idea on what to do with that.

Yup, pretty much! That kind of conflict is bound to happen, which would be fun to explore!

Thankies! Okay, good! That's one worry to be put aside, then. Yay!

40 Reviews

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:37 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Rydia oh my god: Isla may be a *lot more hilarious than I gave her credit for XD
Well, then! May the first hunt begin XD Oh yeah, and I might throw in a second character, but he doesn't need to feature just yet, so it won't break the flow you just set up for us.

@QueerHumanBean still with us, m'dear? Interested in a particular character, or did Life get in the way? Either way works, but hey, just making sure you're okay!

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:09 pm
View Likes
Clarity says...

@Rydia still accepting? I think I'm going to pull a profile together this weekend
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

40 Reviews

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:52 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Oh hey, newcomer! Welcome aboard the SB, m'dear @Clarity. First warning: "M'dear" = rough translation of an expression of casual familiarity used in my native language! I hope it doesn't sound condescending for you, m'dear, as that's not the point of it.

Second warning: We're prolly not closing any time soon, so you should be able to put together a character template just fine! Have fun with that :3

Now! @Rydia just making sure: your post mentions more people than just Charlie and Isla. You're going for a specific number of NPCs, or am I to improvise, since I'm planning on posting next?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:54 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Thanks @Tortwag! I didn't one hundred percent plan to make her funny but when I started writing her dialogue, it just kind of happened! It's definitely the mischievous fae in her :p

I was going with just the two NPC's for now (though also kept their names vague in case anyone would like to be miss giggles or the council leader's son). As we get further into the storybook, we can flesh out their details more as I think it will help to give a bigger sense of the hunter community. I'm looking forward to your post!

@Clarity we're definitely still accepting and delighted to have you with us!
Writing Gooder

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke