z

Young Writers Society

Bo Wu [DT]

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:01 pm
sheysse says...

Howdy! I'm Shey, but you can call me, uh, Shey. Here's the Discussion Topic for Bo Wu... It's where we'll talk about plot and characters and all that jazz. So, below, feel free to introduce yourself. I highly suggest claiming your characters quickly, to ensure you get the role you most want.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:55 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

This sounds so cool! May I claim the She Liu Ti student?
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

176 Reviews

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:54 pm
Lael says...

Okay, since this is based on Chinese culture, I have to jump in on this! I'll take the dragon student.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

176 Reviews

81 Reviews

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:04 pm
Lael says...

Also, so you know, the characters making up the word crane would be "qi zhong ji". I just noticed it because Chinese syllables don't really end in Z's. Hope that helps.

Also, what are the direct translations into English of all the names? I have a slight grasp of the school names, but not the other terms.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

176 Reviews

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:47 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

@Lael Thanks, I was splitting the word to make it three words (following the school pattern), and I guess I did it poorly. XD

To answer your question, Da is Big, and Shijie is world, so Da Shijie is Big World. Weilai translates to Future. Bo Wu, dragon of the mist, is a rewritten form of the word Bó Wù, which translates to Mist. Yinying, dragon of the shadows, translates directly to Shadow. In other words, I'm not particularly creative.

You said you had a basic understanding of them, but I'll post the school name translations too, just for funsies.

Hu Qiang Da - Hu is Tiger, and Qiang Da is a split up form of Qiangda, which means Strong.
Qi Zhongji Fei - Qi Zhongji is a split form of Qizhongji, which translates to Crane. Fei translates to Fly.
Bao Kuai Gongji - Bao means Leopard, Kuai means swift, and Gongji means attack.
She Liu Ti - She translates to Snake, while Liu Ti is a split form of Liuti, or Fluid.
Long Fu Hao - Long means Dragon, and Fu Hao is the split form of Fuhao, meaning Regal.

I speak literally no Chinese, and no very little of the language rules. Admittedly, I've been using Google Translate's Romanization function, so when I say what the Chinese words translate to, it's likely they're mostly just translates by sound and inaccurate.

81 Reviews

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:28 pm
Lael says...

That's okay, my Chinese isn't great either (plus I speak Cantonese, a dialect). I've been picking up things here and there from watching C-dramas and asking my dad/doing my research for my own story ideas, so I'm still learning. And yeah, Google Translate is probably inaccurate for a number of things, but it's okay since this is a story. xD

However, I do know how to make typical Chinese names (and also found some databases of characters to put together to make them), as well as some basic traditional terms and rules of hierarchy within the family, Imperial family, and for schools.

Also: CP submitted!

81 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:05 am
Lael says...

Sorry for the double post but @HazelGrace16 are those concept pics from Princess Agents?? :)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:51 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Yes yes they are lol @Lael
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

176 Reviews

81 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:44 am
Lael says...

@Sheyren it's nothing, don't worry about it.

176 Reviews

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:33 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Sheyren Oh hey, Martial Arts. Hai!

Hmm, Bao Kuai Gongji is the spot i'd like to claim, as I'm interested by that. *checks posts* Oh, Leopard! Perfect. A question, m'dear - d'you have an idea of what kind of movements should be expected in each schools? I know... some things about Chinese martial arts schools, but I'm not sure what kind of creative freedom we can have for, y'know, this.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

176 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:37 pm
sheysse says...

@Tortwag They're based on the five animal styles, so if you want to base your character's combat off of a real example, there you go. That being said, you're fully welcome to be as creative as you want, as long as your style doesn't seem like it's treading on another school.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain