Rei [DT]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:55 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Background

Welcome to the town of Huntsville. It's a small, northeastern American town with an excess of farmland. There's some basic shops and a relatively large residential district, but the majority of its citizens work in other towns. It's not a particularly special place. To most, it's just another name on the map. But to those who live there, it's their entire world.

Some friends are hanging out in the library when they notice a book shoved underneath piles of paper in the recycling bin. Thinking that it fell off of the nearby shelf, one of them goes to pick it up. What they discover is something much different. It's a book written in what looks to be Latin, titled “Rei”. It doesn't have have a library bar code on it. Feeling a strange connection to the book, they decide to keep it.

That night, they each receive an online message. It's telling them to look for the other members of a prophecy, giving incredibly specific information about each person. What's even stranger is that the friends know everyone of them – despite the message having been sent from somewhere nearly halfway across the country.

And so begins their quest. According to the message and the little that's been translated of the book, they have the ability to access something called “Rei”. Rei is a part of their soul that manifests in some sort of bladed weapon, though it usually takes the form of a sword.

The prophecy fails to mention who they're supposed to fight against, but they decide to seek out the other chosen ones. They're going to train like they've never before, and learn what the rest of the mysterious book means.

But, of course, they all have the same burning question.

Can they put saving the world on their college applications?
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Character Templates

The templates are listed in the spoiler. Please delete anything in the parentheses! That information is there to help you create your character. Your character can either be one of the original friend group or the chosen ones they look for. You can only have one character at the moment, but that might change in the future depending on how many people are interested in the storybook.

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Original or New Friend:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (I'm thinking they're all juniors or seniors, but I'm up for younger teenagers as well!)
[b]Gender:[/b] (Nonbinary and transgender characters are cool with me! Just remember to include what pronouns they prefer.)
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b] (Please include their flaws.)
[b]Rei:[/b] (What weapon do they wield?)
[b]Up for Romance:[/b] (If they are, please include what their sexuality is.)
[b]Backstory:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm Sae. Since I'm the one running this storybook, please ask me any questions you have. I'll do my best to answer them.

This is where we can talk about all of the plans for this. Please let me know if you're interested in joining! I'll put you down for one of the character slots.

Edit: Here's the WriterFeedPad for this storybook.

And here's the invite for the Discord server.
mage

queer and here.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:31 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

In the shadows of the night, I have been standing
For an occasion like this one, we are gathering
A WILD SHELL MASTER APPEARS, FEVERISHLY RHYMING
CRASHING IN THIS JOINT TO SHOW HIS MOVES - SEE WHAT I'M DOING?!

Hello, yello, Sae! Thank you for leaving a spot for crazy ol' me, I'll take this offer and start working on my CT! Hopefully ready this weekend - I call dibs on Katana/Parrying dagger combo as my Rei!
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:26 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Haha, this is so me! I'm gonna say I'm in for now. :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Welcome to the team, then, Lael!

@Saentiel Done with the template! Much earlier that I wanted, but at least now I won't have to worry about it any longer. Enjoy reading it, m'dear!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:35 am
View Likes
Feltrix says...

Poke me in a few days if I haven't done anything. This looks fun, and I could use a new storybook.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:07 am
View Likes
Poopsie says...

WAIT TORTWAG DON'T TELL ME YOU MADE THAT SWEET SWEET FALCO ANIMATION

also can i join. What exactly would we be saving the world from
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 am
View Likes
deleted221222 says...

I'm up for some rootin tootin sword swinging fun.

Count me in.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:11 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Question: are all of the characters from Huntsville, or are some of them from other parts of the US?
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:23 pm
Mageheart says...

I'm really surprised by how many people have already joined! Sorry for not replying to any of your comments before now; I was busy with something for school. @Tortwag, @Lael, @Feltrix, @Poopsie, @Thundahguy, welcome to the team! I think I've either done storybooks or roleplays with all of you, so I know I'm going to have fun writing this with you.

Now let me address your questions.

What exactly would we be saving the world from?

That's the thing - we don't know yet! Our characters are still figuring it out, and a certain dungeon master me isn't set on a specific antagonist. I was thinking we could decide on that after all of the characters were in. We could see what they all have in common, or what type of foe would be interesting for them to face. Even before we do that, I'm up for any suggestions you guys have.

Are all of the characters from Huntsville, or are some of them from other parts of the US?

They all live in Huntsville, but they could have moved there from other places. They could have just moved, or have moved several years before. It's all up to you! I just think it would be easier for us to assemble our little band of heroes if they all lived relatively close to each other.
mage

queer and here.

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Poopsie DUDE, OF COURSE NOT, IT COMES FROM FALCON'S TRAILER IN SMASH 4, GO WATCH ALL OF THEM THEY'RE REALLY COOL. (The Smash 4 Hype Train was some of the greatest game release build ups of all time, I swear)

Ohoho, I do have a suggestion, actually.
Spoiler! :
Well it's not a big one, but the name Huntsville immediately reminded me of 2 hunter characters I loved growing up with: Van Pelt, a hunter from Jumanji - both the original movie and animated series - who specializes in HUNTING HUMANS, and Razoff, a crazy hunter from Rayman 3: Hoodloom Havoc.
The former is interesting because he knows the forest he hunts in like the back of his hand and is essentially a killing psycopath, as he considers humans as preys.
The latter is interesting because in the game he's in, Rayman is forced to hide in his mansion to escape an army that hunts him, not realizing that they don't follow him inside 'cause Razoff is even more dangerous than,all of the Hoodlums combined. He's also over the top, and considers anything inside his mansion a prey to catch. The entire boss fight is spent running around the huge place to find Razoff without getting shot first. Hilarious, but nerve-wrecking the first time.

Now, something I'd really like would be if we had to deal with random hunters like them as a first enemy force. There's a lot of one-man shootings in USA, and one interesting thing Americans told me about it is that they're sick of news covering them like they're "natural disasters." <--- the first waves of enemies we could face could be a representation of that. I, uh, do realize that we're therefore expected to beat a guy with a gun using swords, but if magic is still involved, we could simply be trapped into a limited zone - like, incidentally, a supernatural mansion - and unable to get out until we beat the hunter, using the layout of the place to find cover and get closer, as that's how Rayman ends up defeating Razoff - using his bare fists, wits and using the crazy mansion's decorations to take cover.

There! That's the suggestion.

Suggestion over! Oh and yeah, my character's an immigrant for example, I casually assumed we didn't have to be from Huntsville either, since USA is known to be the home to many different ethnicities.
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:14 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

I'm going to snatch myself a spot before they all disappear! So count me in :D
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:20 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Hi! Yay, new face - at least from my perspective.

...Sae's right, that's a lot of people in already. Huh.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:26 pm
Mageheart says...

Welcome to the team, @TheBlueCat!

@Tortwag, I like your suggestion of guns vs. swords. While I don't feel like that would be an appropriate final antagonist, it would definitely be a good battle to lead up to that. What are everyone else's thoughts on Tort's idea?

By the way, my character is up. If you need something to reference while making yours, feel free to look at Keira's! Tort also has one for his character, Nico Ringo. That one is also a great example of how you can do your own.
mage

queer and here.

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson