z

Young Writers Society

Starlight DT

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:59 pm
Elinor says...

All discussion relating to Starlight here!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

I'd love to join!
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:03 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I'll put you down for a slot. :) I'm writing my character's biography right now, so everyone else can have it as a reference.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 pm
Elinor says...

Ok, Ann is done! Let me know if you have any questions when crafting your characters. :)

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 pm
Elinor says...

Welcome to the storybook @Lumi!

Still have 1-2 more openings if people are interested in joining. :)

-- Walt Disney

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 pm
View Likes
Steggy says...

Character is done! Sorry it took so long but if anything needs changing, let me know.
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Lacy's been approved!

I made a character profile for Andrew so you guys can get more of a sense of him.

I may roleplay as him occasionally, when the story calls for it. I haven't quite decided yet.

@Steggy and @Lumi, I still want to get at least one person to join, but I want to start thinking about doing a WFP to do some character and story planning. I'm going to have some time over my holiday break so I'll start thinking about a more detailed history of the studio, of Karen's murder, and the relationships between all of our characters and the culture of both the studio and Los Angeles at that time.

If you guys have any questions/thoughts/suggestions at all, please let me know! Or know anyone else that would be interested, send them here.

Can't wait to start!

-- Walt Disney

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I've got a name and some background. I'll work on getting that CP in tonight.
Irene Leigh

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Welcome @LadyLizz and @TheBlueCat! I'm going to cap it for now. Once you guys get in your profiles, I'll send out a PM with further information/scheduling for a WFP.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

For everyone's reading pleasure.

A Brief Guide to Los Angeles

Vitophone Studios

Vitophone may not have as big of a studio as its competitors, but it's still impressive. With modest backlot, ten soundstages, offices for the writers, producers, and directors, a dining hall, you spend most of your time here.

Hollywood Boulevard and the Sunset Strip

Both places of thriving nightlife, they're where you attend your premieres. Where you go out, go shopping. Get your picture taken. See friends from out of town staying in any of the glamorous hotels.

The Chestnut Club

Located in Beverly Hills, The Chestnut Club is Los Angeles' most expensive and prestigious nightclub. Anyone who is anyone will show up. Because it was conviently located to Vitophone's studio, it has become a favorite of its stars, as well as Andrew himself. There are a few other clubs like this in Los Angeles, but Chestnut is the best. A great place to go for a dance and a drink after a long day. While this was unfortunately where Karen was last seen the night she died, it hasn't impeded business.

Karen

There is no denying that Karen was beautiful. However, at 18, she was still very emotionally immature and had a lot to learn. When she first arrived in Los Angeles, she tried modeling, and found some modest success, but she wasn't creatively satisfied. She wanted to act. In spite of her passion, she was modestly talented at best. She did have a few chances to get in front of studio heads for auditions, but they were all busts. She had trouble holding down work and a steady place to live. She wanted to be a glamorous movie star, and was happy to she was happy to use her sexuality to get important men to give her what she wanted. This included free meals and drinks at places like The Chestnut. While she brushed shoulders with stars, unfortunately, none of this ever led to any real acting work.

She was discovered in an alleyway early in the morning by a woman walking her dog in the residential neighborhood of Los Feliz, about two miles from the heart of Hollywood. How did she get there?

Optional Reading/Viewing

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index ... s-angeles/

http://arthistoryunstuffed.com/culture- ... 1940-1950/

-- Walt Disney

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:39 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

CP in. Hopefully it'll be up to spec.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 am
Elinor says...

Irene looks good, Lizz!

Can you all please respond to my PM with your availability? Thanks!

-- Walt Disney

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat says...

I have plans for this weekend, so I won't be able to make my character profile until Monday, but I think her name is going to be Evelyn Rose.
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:56 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

What The Police Know

* Karen was discovered in an alleyway in the residential neighboorhood of Los Feliz on the morning of November 23rd, the Sunday after Thanksgiving
She was last seen the night before at the Chestnut Club. She left alone, around 11pm.

* She died of blunt force trauma to the head. The murder weapon is unknown. There were signs of a struggle.

* Her body was posed. Her clothes had been changed after her death, and makeup had been applied to her face. Where exactly she died is unknown.

* A week before her death, she was kicked out of the room she rented from a middle aged couple for being unable to pay the rent. Her living situation for the last week of her life is unknown.

* She moved around a lot and spent time with a lot of men, but had no real friends in Los Angeles. Her family back home had little to say about her.

-- Walt Disney

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Saturday Evening

Andrew first concieved of Saturday Evening in September of 1941 as a showcase for his most bankable stars. He also wanted to use the new film as an opportunity to create a dramatic piece that would have a shot at some Oscars. He hired a respected playright named David Lewis to create a script, and Andrew was escastic about what he came back with. He also hired Fred Johnson, who all of the main cast have worked with before and liked, to direct. Andrew is confident that Saturday Evening will finally be the film that gets Vitophone taken seriously as a major studio. Keeping the plot under wraps except for certain details, buzz starts to build before the cameras are even set to roll that March.

With rewrites being completed in January, Andrew wanted to allow the time for an extensive rehearsal process, which means the five stars will all be spending a lot of time with each other.

The Story

Joanne, Patty and Miriam are three single women living together in New York City. Following them over the course of a year, from December 1939 to Dember 1940, the film concerns America's transition from the Great Depression to World War 2.

The All-Star Cast

Ann Davis - Joanne, a bookkeeper at shipping factory
Lacy Parker - Patty, a secretary a Manhattan bank
Irene Leigh - Miriam, an elemetary school teacher
Evelyn Rose - Nancy, Joanne's straight-laced older sister
Gabe Calloway - Jack, a lawyer who Patty falls in love with

-- Walt Disney

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain