z

Young Writers Society

Defenders of the Dust City DT

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

the debate for Cutest Thing In This SB continues, and Ad has once again taken a swift, form lead, oh my GOSH he's such a Kuriboh

Anyway, I love the explosions just randomly happening in the background XD good thing you added them, actually, I now have a better idea as to how to begin my next post. Haven't done so in a while, so I'll try to do that.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:27 am
Lael says...

I enjoyed the post, @Terian805. :) It got me wondering whether I should also make a CP for Simon. I think it could be interesting to use his perspective in the story too, as an adult who's seen a lot in his life.

And that reminds me that I haven't posted in ages. I'll try to think of something soon.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 am
View Likes
Terian805 says...

Well if you feel you can balance both Stella and Simon then sure @Lael!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

81 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:40 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

I've been writing a post and I promise it'll come out this week.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

81 Reviews

Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am
Lael says...

Okay, I've posted. I know it didn't really move the story forward much, but I figured it might be good for more potential character interactions, if you guys want.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:10 pm
Samhain says...

Is this storybook still running? I find the realm that you (Terian805) have created very interesting and fantastical. I read the overview of the different regions and factions of the Dust City, and the notable characters of legend, such as the being who travels in a giant pyramid-like thing, and the elusive Mr. Crow.
Since I'm just jumping into this, I don't really know what's going on, or how this dream world is somehow connected to the so-called "real world".
Let me explain what I understand so far: So this Dust City is sort of a central hub that is a compilation of all the myriad of understandings found in human dreams. This is basically a view of how dreams come about and where they originate from. This sort of reminds me of a short-lived TV show called Beyond, where a man wakes up from a coma to find that he had actually gone to another realm when he was asleep.
So this Dust City has a variety of levels. You've got the upper-class aristocrats who are immortal and have lots of power. There are lower-class smugglers/illegal dealers in a Glass District who basically trade things for money on a basis of survival. Then there's a realm where giant Titans roam, and can be controlled by any of the 7 houses of the aristocrats in Dust City. And of course there's more stuff to remember, but it's quite a lot of information to retain.
My question is: How does this Dust City and the real world of Earth affect each other, how does it work?
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:17 pm
Terian805 says...

Hi @AmadeusW, yes this storybook is still running. I think we're experiencing a bit of a lull in productiveness right now, but it's good to see you're interested!
The link between the Dust City and the Real World is fairly simple when you get into it. You are right to say that the Dust City is like a 'myriad' of human dreams, all smashed together into one crazy setting. So whatever a human person dreams about ends up in the Dust City in a some way. It could be represented as a place, or a being such as @Tortwag's character Pango Lyn. But all places and 'Dreamfolk,' in the Dust City are developed in some way from human dreaming.
And there are of course, certain people from the real world, who can project themselves to the Dust City, through their own dreams. Some of these people can manipulate the Dust City in a way, these people are the Gifted.
Hope I explained it OK, I'm happy to answer any other questions!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

103 Reviews

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 pm
Samhain says...

Can I join? If so, how do I do that?
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@AmadeusW Hai!

Unless Terian has something to say against it, you can totally join, and for that, you'll have to go right here → Defenders of the Dust City ← and click that white "create new character" button on the right side, below all the existing characters of the story.

Then, if you follow the provided character template:

Spoiler! :
Character Template:

Name:

Character Type (Lucid, Gifted, Dreamfolk, Impalpable, rich person, ordinary person.):

Their city of residence:

How they enter the Dust City:

Powers (If any):

Skills (If any):

Appearance:

Personality:

History:

Other:

↑ then you can create your own character! You can use the world-building information in the main SB page to get inspired, and heck, you can even use our own Templates as examples on which to build yours.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

103 Reviews

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:39 am
Samhain says...

What kind of characters are available? I see there are only allowed 4 of each, and I have an idea to claim one of the Impalpable spots.
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

81 Reviews

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:31 am
Lael says...

Hello @AmadeusW (and welcome to YWS)! So far we have 1 Lucid, 2 Gifted, 1 Impalpable, and the rest are Dreamfolk, I believe, so it should be all right for you to create an Impalpable.

103 Reviews

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:35 pm
Samhain says...

Well in that case, here is my idea, and I'll put it in the format, and Terian can look it over to see if it is okay to add.

Name: Maverick Jensen

Character Type: Gifted, turned Impalpable, then Impalpable Defect

City of residence: Oakland, CA, USA - specifically the Chinatown; and Dust City of course

How he enters Dust City: When he falls asleep, he finds himself in Dust City - at first he thinks it's just a dream, but then he comes to the realization that he is in a real place.

Powers: In Dust City, he has the ability to read minds and make things disappear. On earth he is a petty magician with a cheap magic act to pay the rent. But in Dust City, his magic tricks become real abilities.

Skills: Magic tricks, illusion

Appearance: Messy, wavy brown hair. Medium build. Straight nose. Ocean blue eyes. Standard beard and mustache, kept trimmed close to his face. He has rough-looking hands, but very nimble and quick. He has a scar above his left eyebrow, about 3/4 of an inch in length. His skin is Caucasian, but with a bit of an olive tint. He dresses casually, wears an old but hardy dark brown leather jacket, usually wears dark or stonewash color jeans, and average walking shoes. He normally wears either a plain, black t-shirt or one with graphics on it, preferably the one that says "Trust me, I'm a magician", or the Nirvana one.

Personality: When not doing a magic act, he is rather quiet and antisocial. He can sometimes be arrogant or cocky, but he usually keeps those thoughts to himself. He has no friends, no lovers. He doesn't smile very often, if ever.

History: He has an ex-wife and a daughter, but he hasn't seen them in three years since the ex-wife filed divorce and told him to never come back, that he could never see them again. His mother died two years before the divorce, and was the ultimate cause of why the divorce occurred because after his mom died he didn't take it very well and started a drinking habit, which turned to be an issue. His daughter is now seventeen and will be graduating high school soon. He was raised Christian, but his parents never made him go to church because they weren't avid churchgoers themselves - their religion was mostly in name only. Maverick was never that interested in the religion either, even less than his parents. This lack of interest did not, however, cause him to search for other beliefs, because he still half-believed his religion. When he was younger he had a hot temper, especially with his parents, and there would constantly be giant arguments that would turn into the father yelling, the mother yelling and storming out of the room, and Maverick leaving the house and taking a bus to spend time with his aunt. Regardless of that he still loved them, and they loved him, and he had a decent life and pretty much did everything all his peers did, like getting a part-time job, learning how to drive, moving out of the house and moving in with his high school sweetheart, etc...

What do you guys think (especially Terian805)?
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

103 Reviews

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 am
Samhain says...

I can't find the create new character button! Aaah! Let me know, Terian, if you like my character outline so I can post it somehow. Thanks
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

81 Reviews

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 am
Lael says...

@AmadeusW It's right under the names of all our already-existing characters.

103 Reviews

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:01 am
Samhain says...

Not for me it isn't. I wonder if I'm even joined on the SB. I'd love to start collaborating on this, but Terian805 is MIA.
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri