Young Writers Society

Defenders of the Dust City DT

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I love how Stella sees her dad in the Dust City sometimes! I think that was a really cool detail to add. (If you couldn't tell, I loved your post!)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm
View Likes
Terian805 says...

Really enjoyed that @Lael!!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Argh. I need to catch up with the posts.

3/4 done for mine, and the main school projects of the week are done on my side! I should be done writing by this weekend and finally I can appreciate the sweetness I hear about in these comments :3
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

40 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:21 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Oh my GOD, finally.

Long story short: I had finished this a while ago, but had lost the USB in which I had to hastily save it and only found it again as I re-wrote then entire thing.
Sorry for the massive, inexcusable delay. I can be late, but this usually doesn't happen, especially not at the beginning of an SB.

Hope the post is good enough to make up for that, even partially.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:30 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I kept giggling when I read your post, @Tortwag. I can't wait to see more posts with Pango Lyn in them! He's absolutely hilarious, and it's going to be fun having Adrian run into him for the first time later on in the storybook.
mage

queer and here.

40 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Thank you, m'dear! Took me a while, but I did my best.

If they run into each other, Adrian might just have a hard time copying any manneurism Pango Lyn would have XD That, and my lil' dino usually wants to fight, so, that should complicate things :3

31 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 pm
View Likes
Terian805 says...

Great post! @Tortwag!@ThemagicalEbonyFox, if you're thinking about posting for Minerva any time soon then you're more than welcome!

A slightly longer post here, as I want to throw out a plotline for the direction in which this storybook can go.

So I'm imagining that this events in this storybook, (as per usual with fantasy :D ) will decide the fate of the entire Dust City, and will go back to its very roots. (I'm going to get pretty deep and dramatic here!)

So basically, the Dust City was constructed by two ancient forces: The Avatar of Rebirth, and The Avatar of Renewal. Both these forces still exist, and they represent different aspects of human dreaming, and human imagination. Each Avatar has a host, which takes on all the magic and abilities that the Avatar grants.

The Avatar of Renewal:

Represents how humans maintain a hope, a vision, a dream, or an idea and keep aiming for it and focusing on it, continuing to treasure it and keep it close to their heart. In the Dust City, this Avatar created the Lucids, and the Dreamfolk.

The current host of Renewal is Ella Beckett. She is Finn's sister, and though she is believed to be dead, only her material body died, and she transferred her essence to the Dust City, and is roaming it, as a husk of her former self. The Impalpables and Mr Crow are hunting her down, trying to kill her, for reasons later explained. I'm imagining however, that later in the Storybook, they'll sadly succeed, but Ella will transfer the Avatar onto another character who will be able to defeat the Impalpables. It will not be Finn, as that would be too obvious, but I suppose we can decide later.

I want to stress that the aforementioned character will not be the 'main protagonist'. Everyone must have their own pivotal role, I want to make sure of that.

I'm imagining that some characters will meet Ella, and try to protect her from the Impalpables, or get her to a safe place.

The Avatar of Rebirth

Represents how humans cast aside old feelings and dreams, and move onto new ones, in the present day. In the Dust City, this Avatar created the Gifted.

The current host of Rebirth is Mr Crow, the leader of the Impalpables, real name 'Jonathan Black'. He formed the Impalpables, and created the Gifted, in order to fufil
his insane vision of a 'perfect Dust City' with Upper Class people, super-powered humans, and no Dreamfolk or Lucids in order to taint the society of the Dust City. He is hunting down Ella, in order to destroy any opposition that he might have to his grand vision for the future. The Avatar of Rebirth is not an evil thing, Mr Crow has just corrupted it.

Perhaps in the future, The Gifted will be put under Mr Crow's control, as he was the one who created them, save a certain few who resist.

So what does everyone think? Anyone have anything to add?

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 pm
deleted221222 says...

So I just found out about this today, is it too late to join in?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 pm
Mageheart says...

That sounds good to me! I'm torn between if I'd want Adrian to fall under Mr. Crow's control, but I'd love to figure that as we get there!
mage

queer and here.

31 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:54 pm
Terian805 says...

Of course not @Thundahguy the more the merrier!

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm
View Likes
deleted221222 says...

Ay, nice. I thought up a character, but I just want to run by a couple of things and see if he'll cause any major problems before I make his page.
Spoiler! :

So, I was thinking of a sort of anarchic Dreamfolk who wanted to end the Vapour-folk regime (to sort of tie them in more closely to the story). He was a slave to one of the elder vapours but managed to escape. He vowed to destroy their Upper Metropolis, or at the very least bring it down to the rest of Dust City. For his introduction, I was thinking of having him and Moog attempting to take down one of the Titans the vapour-folk covet so much.

I know that the Vapour-folk are powerful, so my Dreamfolk would probably mix guerilla tactics in with his powers (which I haven't thought up yet) and the only way he could win in a 1v1 against a vapour was if he had an advantage.

40 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Thundahguy First off, your current avatar picture is beautiful. Just throwing this out there.

Not that I'm in charge here, but I like the idea. Makes sense with the whole "they live above everyone else" gig they're going for, and it DEFINITELY makes sense they'd have slaves, since that tends to happen with those who think themselves above. #History.
The point is, I also like the idea of guerilla tactics, although, to get an advantage your character would need a distraction, or at least mercenaries.
With Lisière, one of my 2 NPCs, I planned to introduce that concept, so, I guess working a lore of mercenaries that would be interested in joining your character's cause would be fun.

That, of if I tie my character's quest for memories to the Vapour folk's realm, then he'd be very interested in joining the effort.

40 Reviews

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

Double-posting for the lore opinion.

@Terian805

-The lore of Avatar of Rebirth and Renewal gives me some SERIOUS Klonoa vibe, especially with Rebirth not being evil, just corrupted. I like me some Ghadius-wannabe.

-I don't have much to add, aside that a general resistance will probably be made public at this point, with representatives of each species of Dust Cities as captain heads, because well "Strength in Unity". Just a suggestion.

-One piece of lore I have with Pango Lyn is that he's possibly the remnant of a human gifted/lucid's memory, which would suggest that all Dreamfolk are actually humans themselves, and are therefore just as real as everybody else in Dust City - kinda fuelling the resistance movement in the process.

-Hmm, is it unrealistic to have our dear lil' Ella eventually finding her way in the Dreadmill? That place is essentially chaotic neutral, which means that I could let Pango Lyn live there by himself and not interacting with anyone for a long time unless it becomes a target for some reason. So, Pango Lyn could either want to join the Thundah's character's quest because "My Memories Are Probably Up There", or take in this random girl (still fights her because that's the entrance fee) and help her out because he's nice like that.

That's about all I have to say. This is pretty awesome.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm
Mageheart says...

Would Adrian somehow be able to end up there too, @Tortwag?
mage

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

I love all this plot-building. I'm on the same page as Sae about Stella being controlled. We'll see. :)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal