z

Young Writers Society

Defenders of the Dust City DT

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:57 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@WanderingCloud (@Terian805 ← That's how you write it, by the way, make sure to copy/paste that) As for the setting, you can actually find it in the Storybook's main page. There's a description of Dust City in the Spoiler Buttons, as well as its various locations.

And then, just read all the posts to see how we use the setting, m'dear. We incorporate it for our characters.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 pm
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

Oh.... all of them? like all? of them?

Edit

Oh... so that is why.... it's Tarian not Taerin

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:07 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

@WanderingCloud actually it's Terian, with an E. :P And though this is a little late, welcome to the SB! I look forward to working with you.

(And yes, read all of the posts. That's how we make up our story.)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

20 Reviews

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@WanderingCloud Cloud, m'dear. Don't take it personally. It's just to make sure you get to poke the person you want when you can. That's another thing to get used to. Same for the posts to read.

Enjoy YWS! You'll be a badass when you start mastering its system :3
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:00 pm
View Likes
Terian805 says...

Wow OK, a lot's been going on. You people are super active! I'll try to address everything that's been brought up. :D

@Thundahguy I really liked your post! Slayer sounds like a total bad-ass even slightly unhinged, which I think is suitable for someone like him. It also was nice to see Moog thrown in there, and developed as an NPC, since he was a character that I thought up in a very off the cuff fashion!

So @WanderingCloud as Tortwag said earlier, this is YWS, and we all love new ideas here! I don't mind in the least how many questions you have. Questions are good man!

So you asked how magic in the Dust City worked, and I hope that Sae portrayed it well enough for you. You say there should be some limitations, which is fair enough. I haven't thought this over so much yet, but if you read the lore post that I did earlier, I said that 'The Gifted' are linked to this man named Mr Crow, who is the main villain, and the leader of the Impalpables. I'm unsure of this yet, but we could introduce an idea that, whenever Gifted such as Adrian and Stella use their powers, they start experiencing strange occurrences linked with the Impalpables. Maybe they hear the voice of Mr Crow in their heads, who knows?

You mentioned some stuff about who guards and defends the Dust City. The thing is, the city has been moving along peacefully for a while.
There is no 'police force', so to speak. It's only people who notice what is going on, whether they are Gifted, Lucids, or Dreamfolk, and decide to do something about it. For example people like @Thundahguy's character Slayer, who runs round blowing up Titans, and attacking the Vapours. Or people like my character Finn, who is just a regular guy who beats up Impalpables, and rescues Lucids.

You also asked about the mechanics of the Dust City and how the Dreamfolk work. I suppose it would be helpful for everyone to read this, as I agree that the Dust city is confusing and chaotic as others have said.

You talked about the different nodes which link to a person's dream. Basically yeah, that's kind of how it works. People go into their dreams, and then find their way to the city. So my character Finn finds himself in a strange wood, and when he leaves the wood, he ends up in the city. So in theory, Finn would be able to retrace his steps if it were possible, and find his way back into the wood. This is difficult, but of course everything is connected so who knows what could happen?

The Dreamfolk. Yes.

I see what you are saying about who the Dreamfolk are, and who they could be, (I'm assuming you struggled to understand my descriptions in the Storybook, which is OK man :D ) and you had some perfectly valid points. They are very much free beings, with minds and thoughts of their own. You brought up whether they 'represent different aspects of dreams or not, and...kind of.
You see the Dust City developed from the hopes and dreams of human people. So the Dreamfolk in theory did also develop from this in some way or another. This is why they are all so crazy looking. Take for example, Tortwag's character, the fightin' blue dino 'Pango'. He has lost his memory, which seems to be returning to him in bits and pieces. I hope this is what you were going for @Tortwag but I suppose that Pango results from some human dreaming about a crazy blue dinosaur.

Well maybe not exactly that, but he was still a result of peoples thoughts dreams and feelings in some way or another, as Lanternhead, Moog, Slayer, Lisiere, and others were. But otherwise they are just like normal people. (People with glass heads, rabid blood frenzies, violent tendencies, but still people :D )

And yeah, looking forward to seeing your post! As Tortwag says, the locations in teh Dust City that I came up with are on the front of the Storybook, but if you feel the need, make up a location of your own, just check with me first!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Terian805 I'm going deeper than that, but the idea is that he's the residual thoughts of somebody that either exists, or existed, yes - which implies that it is the case for all Dreamfolk.

Aside that, thanks for clarifying and re-clarifying all these things, since it's bound to be useful to all of us.

20 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 pm
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

They were created from dreams ok. Ok.

20 Reviews

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

@Terian805 or @Tortwag or @saentiel anyone... is the real body of the person enters the city or is it just in a dream?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:38 pm
Mageheart says...

I'm pretty sure it's just a dream version of them, but I could be wrong!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

20 Reviews

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:51 pm
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

@saentiel I love the quote below you. With style.... hahah

40 Reviews

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:15 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Then just read the Bartimaeus series - that guy always has the best quotes XD

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:34 pm
Mageheart says...

He really does. :P I hope I can someday write as memorable - and quotable - of a character like him.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

40 Reviews

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:21 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Of course you can, m'dear! I'm pretty sure we'll all get that ability when the practice starts affecting our writing :3 At least, that's the dream, and I'd say it's not too unrealistic.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
View Likes
Terian805 says...

Well, yeah it is the dream version, but it is still a projection of themselves. So if they have a torch with them when they fall asleep, they have that torch in the Dust City.
And if they somehow are able to find another dream, they will be able to go into that dream, and then be able to appear wherever the person who is dreaming is.
Did that make any sense at all?? :D

Merry Christmas everyone by the way!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris