z

Young Writers Society

Defenders of the Dust City DT

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:22 pm
WanderingCloud says...

I think Crimson Envy and Mr. Frank would "get along". With her ideal "bringing people to Dust city for free" fitted. Crimson Envy is a member of Impalpables, correct me if I'm wrong, whose aim is to kill Ella. And that makes spying convenient for them. Because who would not trust an old and experienced man?

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:41 pm
Terian805 says...

I appreciate the debriefing @Tortwag since I'm at school at just decided to check YWS at lunchtime!! :D

I like the idea of him being a spy @WanderingCloud. If he's a bit of an addict to the thrills of the Dust City, then perhaps he was hired by the Impalpables to infiltrate the Dreamfolk, or any resistance there might be against the Impalpables. Maybe it could be Crimson Envy who hires him, and that could result in an interesting relationship if @ThemagicalEbonyFox is up for it!

I like the idea about him being Mr Crow, but I had a different idea for that character. He's a proper evil mastermind if that makes sense, and has taken on the powers of the Avatar and used it for his own gain. I imagine him as more of a young and intelligent man, who knows what he's doing and has a grand masterplan for the future.

Edit:

I've taken a look at your character and he sounds fascinating! I'll approve him later when I have more time to read it thoroughly.
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

20 Reviews

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:03 pm
WanderingCloud says...

Well thank you.

No, I'll take back the idea of him(Mr. Frank) being Mr Crow since you already have one. Then I'll just stick to the character I made.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Terian805 Don't mention it, m'dear - I'm at school too, and it seems like lunch time YWS updates is useful for everyone XD

And hey, we've got a spy! Interesting indeed.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:44 pm
Terian805 says...

So @WanderingCloud I've approved the sheet, but I feel like we should discuss some stuff quickly. You say that he is not a Gifted or Lucid, but he can enter the Dust City, and when he is in there he gains supernatural abilities, so that is pretty much the definition of a Gifted.

Perhaps you can elaborate more on how he found his way there? If it was through a dream, then that makes him pretty much a Gifted person. But perhaps, (since he is a mechanic,) he was experimenting with machinery, and then there was a mistake which caused him to enter the Dust City, so he did it kind of by himself. If so he would be separated from the Gifted and the Lucid characters, and would be very different, which would be good!

Also about this watch. Did he invent it? That would be interesting if so, and he perhaps he keeps the watch when he goes into the Dust City, which would make the watch interesting and mysterious, and make the Impalpables want it.

This guy is totally your character! Consider my suggestions or throw them away, I don't mind :D . I just would like to solidify him a bit more. And he doesn't have to be cannon fodder, he sounds potentially interesting and mysterious!
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 am
View Likes
deleted221222 says...

I've posted Slayer's introduction thing. It's essentially the build-up to one big fight, but I've tried to fit as much of Vapour Slayer's personality in there.

20 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:25 am
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

@Terian805

Ok. So he does not have a power. The power comes from the pocket watch. He is the operator but not the one who tinkers the magic in Dust city.

I can make him a repairman of antiques, if you want. (I hope you don't mind melancholic scenes). So in his history, he is clearly a sad person. He was repairing this certain pocket watch, as his last one. There he found his way to dust city. (I am thinking of scenes, or should I spoil it here?)

And also, how does the magic in Dust city work? It is kind of unlimited I think. For me, though I'm not an expert, it would be like deus-ex-machina-eee... like things could be simply solved with magic. In my opinion, (just an opinion really) I'd like to put some limitations on it, like dangers or cost, since we're dealing with dreams, we could make that Gifted, Lucid, or anyone who use it, eat their mind, go crazy, take a memory.... just an opinion though. I don't intend to change fellow YWSers to change theirs. I am thinking of limitations. To make things interesting. Though u can disregard this.

Uhmmmm. I am just saying this to align how will 'the watch' operates. Since that will be his ticket and weapon to Dust city. Him being obsessed there is him using the young ones to portray his wife and children to them (like describing their appearance and make them show it to him as if challenging their young competitive hearts). Takes this with a grain of salt, cabbages, carrots, apples, and soy sauce. lol.

EDIT:

uhmmmmmmmmm.... @Terian805..... I'm really curious of what an ordinary human being doing in a world where there are lots of supernatural beings. What can they do? Do they have someone guarding them all around? What if there was a killing/crime happened? Who would stop them? (Should we make a Dream Guardians?) who would fight against the impalpables? Are the Lucids, Gifted free to fight them however they want? I guess it is, hahah since it's Dust city of course they can repair it on a whim, *ahem* sorry.... anyways.... just my thoughts.

20 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am
WanderingCloud says...

I AM REALLY SORRY. I don't doubt the amazing world you've made but I just have some clarifications. I qouted this from the SB...

"They dream of their hopes, and long forgotten memories. They dream of their loves, their hates, when they have loved, and when they have suffered. And all these dreams lead to one place, if you know how to get there: The Dust City."

Is this like a storage room (lol, No offense but hear me out). Like the place has certain nodes that holds the memory or the dream of a person/animal. What if "someone" touched this? What would happen?

OR

Is this a world where dreamers can see each other? Because an ordinary human can enter... whe we dream we cannot talk or see each other. That is why I thought of a storage (personal space in Dust city-because Gifted and Lucids are like, for me, who can come out from that node).

OR

Is this where their dreams comes alive as a sentient being? No, rather, an automated being who is programmed to produce/replay a dream. And when they "awakened" that is the Gifteds or Lucids. And can feel and move with this body.

I AM VERY SORRY AGAIN. I DON'T WANT YOU TO CHANGE THIS SB FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, Just a tweek here and there for a defined world, at least we know how things work. I AM A PRETTY DAMN SLOW PERSON. FORGIVE ME. YOU CAN KICK ME OUT IF YOU WANT. Huhuhuhuh.

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:07 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@WanderingCloud ...Wow, okay. Cloud, m'dear, I don't know what kind of terrible experiences made you insecure to this degree, but you don't have to worry about being kicked out, or asking questions - not only does it show that you care, it also shows that you merely want to, y'know, not mess up.

You're not gonna get kicked out for voicing suggestions, things you didn't understand or ways to better your character, or at least not here. You also stated yourself that, like me and many people on this site, English wasn't your native language - so you're not necessarily slow, m'dear, you just need more time to grasp certain things. Trust me, that comes with time, so, no need to worry.

We're supposed to build this world together anyway, so, suggestions are fine. From what I understand, each class of being is limited to their class' abilities - and in the case of the gifted, their mastery of their minds, will and creativity.

For the rest, we'll wait 'til Terian shows up again. In the meantime, I'll go read Thundah's post.
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:16 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@Tortwag, you beat me to posting. :P Since I already wrote up this post, I'll post it anyways. But I completely agree with you!

I love your first post, @Thundahguy! Slayer creeps me out with how eager he is to kill Vapours, but I already love him.

I have a bit of free time right now, @WanderingCloud, so I can try answering your questions. I'm not sure how helpful my answers will be - since I'm not the person running this. But hopefully they'll help you out!

And also, how does the magic in Dust city work?

I've been getting the feeling that the only limit is the ability of the specific character. For example, Adrian (my character) is a Gifted. He can change his form, but he can't do anything other than that. He can't fly, turn invisible, or suddenly be able to create fire. I think that in itself is a limitation. I think the rest of the Dust City has no rules; that's what makes it such a chaotic and interesting place. You never know what to expect there.

I'm really curious of what an ordinary human being doing in a world where there are lots of supernatural beings. What can they do?

I'm pretty sure those guys would be the Lucids! I think they would be the most vulnerable there, so that could play a role into how they interact with everyone else. But I also think they would explore it. Even if they don't have magic themselves, there's a lot of other things that do. They would probably rely more on their physical strength and wit more than anything else to get by.

Is this a world where dreamers can see each other? Because an ordinary human can enter... whe we dream we cannot talk or see each other. That is why I thought of a storage (personal space in Dust city-because Gifted and Lucids are like, for me, who can come out from that node)

I think that the part you quoted explains how you can get there. For example, Adrian dreams of many, many doors. He has to go through the right one to get there. He could have dreams before that, but he'll always end up in that place. Once he goes through the right door, he ends up in the Dust City. The Dust City is the only place you can really interact with other characters; everything prior to that point is a dream by yourself. I'm not sure if that explanation really covers it, but I'm sure @Terian805 could explain the mechanics of it in more detail!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

20 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

Well... I guess... I guess I overdid it... maybe? Hahah...

and WOW! @Tortwag Really! You are great advisor. Are you, maybe studying Psychology, Philosophy or something?

and @saentiel now I get it (somehow). So it really is a chaotic world. No rules. But I'm pretty sure @Taerin805 had the history on this world or none (because who knows how Dust city came alive except Ella and Mr Crows possessors maybe?). So I kind of get it.

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:43 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@WanderingCloud you did, m'dear, but that, too, is okay, as it, too, shows that you care.

I try my best :3
As for your question, well, let's just say that my goofy/joke title of Shell Master Tortwag also has its serious moments. I did study philosophy, but psychology came with experience and travelling. Either way, what I studied didn't have anything to do with this.
*shrugs* I'm just me.

Aside that, Lol, sorry Sae, twas either you or me, and you brought in the awesome clarifications anyway :3

@Thundahguy I ENJOY Slayer's madness, prolly because I specialize in insane battle-holics myself, most of the time. Oh, and uh, it's plat de résistance, actually, not pièce de résistance - I only allow myself to make this niptick because I'm French, but you get cookies for using the accents well.
That being said, *chuckle* Slayer's not hijacking the Dreadmill any time soon. Hmm, and he's not fun enough - in Pango Lyn's logic - for Pango Lyn to be interested in his rebellion, so, Pango Lyn would really have to be dragged in by force. But eh, the Impalpable should allow that to happen at some point, anyway.

That being said, great post, fun development and overall fun introduction.

20 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:58 pm
WanderingCloud says...

When can I post my Post? lol

40 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Whenever you can, m'dear. Nobody reserved the next post, which means you can post when your post is ready. Make sure you keep in mind everything Terian, Sae and I told you, inspire yourself from the context given by all the posts already in and go right ahead.

20 Reviews

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 pm
View Likes
WanderingCloud says...

@Taerin805 what does our setting looked like? Generally...

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler