The Outlands [DT]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Welcome!

Here is where we'll discuss plotting, planning, and characters for the SB, The Outlands! If you want to reserve a character, do it here!

--<>--

Spoiler! :
Character Template

Please delete all text that is within parentheses, and just put your character's info in there! Thank you! : D

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (can be anywhere from a teen to 80 something, but take into account that plays into their story/abilities/why they're wanted/how they've survived this long/etc)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Place of Origin:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Brief Backstory:[/b] (include how they got to the outlands, and why they're wanted - it can be brief, but give a reason) (if they're a magic user, tell us what kind of element they're able to manipulate and how fluent/good they are at using magic, how long they've been practicing/learning and why they chose to pursue it/use it)
[b]Other:[/b] (can include any weapons they carry or whatever else that doesn't fall under the other categories)

Also, so that the SB has a cohesive format please use:

For Divisions Between Scenes
[center]--<>--[/center]

For Titles of Posts
[center][i]Character's Full Name[/i][/center]

The names of the Rounds will only be in the first post of the Round, and in that case the code for it will be:
[center][b][size=200]ROUND #[/size][/b]
[i]Character's Full Name[/i][/center]
Last edited by soundofmind on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Setting: About the world in which we exist

TIME PERIOD

Think typical fantasy setting, but only just beginning to enter the age of guns and steel sort of thing. Technological and industrial advancement has been a bit stunted because of the calamity (a world-shaking series of disasaters about 80 yrs ago) and the world's still recovering. At this point, humans are finally really getting back on their feet. The most advanced peoples are the Goulonians, the rest are lagging behind because of lack of (human and physical) resources and focus on other industries. As far as guns go, they have simple handhelds reminiscent of the kind of guns in westerns, but there are still a lot of people who carry swords and traditonal medeival-type weaponry (axes, swords, bow + arrow, crossbow, maces, etc). Usually there's a mix of both, because you don't bring a knife to a gun fight, but you also don't bring a gun to a sword fight.

In terms of feel/vibe, think like, a mish-mash between westerns and fantasy magic stuff.
--<>--

PLACES OUR CHARACTERS CAN BE FROM
(besides the Outlands which was already described)

Western Isles: a union of smaller islands in the west, along with a few mainland coastal cities. They’ve formed a strong community of fisherman (deep-sea, and in shallow waters) and a strong economic presence in terms of seafood, sailing and seafaring, with other related products. The Isles also boasted a developing navy for the protection of their alliance and to defend against sea monsters.

Lettera (North): While often accused of being stuck in the past, the Letteran Kingdom highly values the study of the earth’s mythology and reveres the dragons of old - mainly, the dragon of earth. Dragons in ages long ago, used to reign on the earth as benign rulers. As the Letteran Kingdom is a largely agricultural society, they value the stories of the Dragon of Earth, whom they believe blesses their land to be plentiful. The ruler of their Kingdom goes by the name of King Margrave.

Goulon (East): a collection of small cities strongly focused in industrial advancement. They offer a lot of factory work and make a lot of advanced weaponry. They are not shy about their intentions on building a strong army to defend their land, and are viewed as an unstable threat to the other realms. Their government is run by a group of representatives from each city-state that gather to vote and agree on policies.

Moonlight Kingdom (South): a kingdom under the reign of King Blackfield. Due to Blackfield’s reputation as a strong, successful leader, he has a strong foothold of influence in the south and surrounding regions. Within the walls of the main cities, the kingdom is considered to be very wealthy and highly admired. The lifestyle the residents of the Moonlight Kingdom maintain is one of prestige, and they work to ensure that their populace is educated and that they grow up to be hard-working citizens. From the outside, many people view it as the ideal place to live. Many people looking for a new start and seeking success will come to the Moonlight Kingdom in hopes of a better life.

Desert Settlements: Neutral lands with small independent government entities, most allied with and connected to Moonlight Kingdom or Letteran forces. Intersects with many goblin territories (which are considered hostile in an ongoing "war" between goblins and humans).
--<>--

MAGIC

So uh, this is a fantasy world. Is there magic?
Yes, there is! But bad news: it's outlawed. And most all humans (except magic users) are super afraid of magic and anyone who uses it! YAY FOR THE STIGMA! If you use magic people won't like you and will try to kill you! Good news for you though, your character is supposed to be an outlaw and on the run!! So you're all good!

How Magic Works:
Human magic (along with other creature's) is limited. They can only manipulate what already exists: they can't create anything out of nothing, and they can't make anything more magical than it is. Only dragons can do that and we don't talk about them ; )

People can manipulate one kind of element. Typical examples are water, earth, air, fire, etc, stuff like that. But you can get more creative or more specific if you want. It's very similar to "bending" like in ATLA, for example, but they don't use that terminology.

Spoiler! :
In any living thing, magic exists. Magic is in everything's dna, and it's like, inherited through that. Magic is the core of their planet! It's the origin and source of all life, so life wouldn't exist without it. From magic sprouted life, and the first living beings that were begotten from it were dragons!

Magic runs in the blood. Since magic is the source of life, life is “in” the blood as well, so to speak.

Even though everything HAS magic in it, not everything IS super magical. Some things have more magical potential and abilities than others. Like, some plants have more magical ability to heal, or make explosions or whatever (so humans can learn and understand what plants and beings do what, like a science I guess).

However! Just like plants, not all humans are super magical either! It depends on their DNA and genetics, and how magical their ancestors were. Some humans are boring and have very weak or "unusable" magic! : )))) They're just happy to be alive!! HAHa...

Using magic is just like any other physical activity, the more magic you use, the more physical energy it takes. Like staying fit, it requires practice and exercise to build up stamina for using large amounts of magic at a time.

The magic in their world is very limited to physicality. If the material a weapon or tool is made out of isn't already especially magical , then there's no way to make it magical, without adding a new material that is magical.

With things like say your average tree, it has magic = why it's alive, but other than that, it can't do anything else.

CURRENCY

We've got gold pieces and silver pieces as the standard. Only put this here because it's relevant if you want to tell us what price your wanted character has on their heads! For reference, 1 gold piece would be equivalent to 10 U.S. dollars. Silver pieces would be like, 5 dollars. In terms of inflation and prices of things, I'm not too picky.
Last edited by soundofmind on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:52 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

I haven't read all the things yet because I need to go to bed, but please reserve the stealth person for me!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Wolfical of course!! : D so happy to have you join aaaaa

sleep well!

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:33 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

BRAWN PLEASE
*sees that there's only one slot left and flips out*
(also you may want to put DT in the name of this topic)

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:05 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

There's only one spot left, right? I'll take it then!!!

EDIT: Aww, rats. I guess I came a little too late.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Calling brawn! :D

Oh nevermind Shey got it lol
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

81 Reviews

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

In that case could I possibly take a bounty hunter position? I don't mind at all if it's a more minor role.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Sheytato yay!! Glad to have you on board!!! also yes,, thank u, clearly i've never run a SB before haha

@Falconrygirl9086 Aaaa sorry!!! I didn't know the spots would fill up so fast!!! But there are openings for any antagonists!

@Lael And yes, of course! I would absolutely love for you to hop in as a bounty hunter! I'd even be ok with you (and whoever else plays the antags, which is so far me) having a little story arc of just for them if we can think of something that'll compliment the rest of the story!! Thank you so so much for wanting to be a part of the SB! :,)

@Allisonthewriter @wolfical @sherlockhson @ / all ya'll above who have a character

Character Profiles?? You betchya

As motivation for you to get your CP's done, if you get them done but this upcoming Sunday, I will draw a headshot sketch of your character!! : D because you know... I'll have a description of their appearance in the CP you submit haha

81 Reviews

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:54 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

@soundofmind I have a kind of big idea for my character's backstory that has to do with James. I'll go ahead and put it in my CP, but if you don't like it, I'm okay with scrapping it.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:09 pm
soundofmind says...

@Lael GO FOR IT, I'd love to see what ideas you have!! : D

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 pm
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Yay! I had a very long day but I will endeavor to fill everything out asaAp (as soon as Allisonly possible). ^_^ Thanks for the tag!

81 Reviews

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:35 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

CP submitted

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@AllisontheWriter okidoki!! get your rest too! <3

@Lael CP APPROVED!! yayyy

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 am
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Sorry it's taking me forever to fill out the CP! I've been battling an awful cold-flu thing and I've tentatively stopped feeling dead inside. :P

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb