Young Writers Society

The Outlands [DT]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:55 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

omg, yessssssss, Adina and Kaia need hugs!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

me: *sweating*
me: h h hhow are thingse

i have had the next next post written up and ready for a while and i am excited to post it when the next post is up adhsflkgjfhdlskj

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:16 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

No progress since last time, but I felt that we were near a good ending point. If @fraey is available sometime this weekend, maybe we could try to get it done.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:47 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

I would be available this weekend! @Lael @soundofmind thank you for the reminders XD I don’t mean to make you sweat it out sound <.< We really are at a good spot, just need to add in Rose “apologizing”
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

415 Reviews

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:50 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Hey, I tried finishing up the scene on the pad, but I'll copy/paste it down below just to see if the reactions are alright --, mostly of Kaia and Rose right at the end.

Spoiler! :
Adina didn't think that after the whole kidnapping and drugging stint that there could be a crazier event in the group's journey. Clearly, she was wrong, since declaring James in love with Kaia as a prank had some consequences. Even more so than everyone involved being angry at Rose and sighing at Brett for believing it was a smart thing to listen to her. She herself didn't know what she should do, or could do at this point.

She was good at a few things though. Adina could comfort others like she was the mother of a dozen kittens that couldn't tell if the sky was above them or below them. Which was a figure of speech that she came up with to say she liked to cling to her friends and be able to help whenever and however. She placed Uri on the ground, since she was playing with the cat up until the outburst from a ways into the forest right by them.

Maybe going into small groups wasn't a good thing because they were still getting chased by the mage hunters? But Adina digressed. She caught Kaia walking in the opposite direction of where Brett, James, and Rose stood. This could be her chance to help the other woman in whatever fashion was acceptable because any prank messing with actual people and emotions tended to not be good ideas. This one especially.

Adina glanced over everyone's expressions, then moved closer to where she saw Kaia last. She slipped by a few trees, then there the woman was in front of her. Clearing her throat, words got ironically lost before they left her mouth. She didn't know how to speak to her companion since they hadn't really spoken before. She thought over a few different lines, then finally spoke one over the beating of her heart.

"Uhm, Kaia, I'm sorry." Adina paused, staring at her feet. "I don't know why Rose would do such a thing, but that was - rude."

"Oh," Kaia turned to Adina and gave her a small smile. "it's--it was just a prank. More at James' expense than mine, I'd suspect, so it's all right."

Adina nodded, tapping her fingertips together. She stepped onto a nearby stump trying to gauge Kaia's emotions from a closer glance. "I see." She was of course glad that she seemed fine from Rose's plan of sorts, but Adina wanted to help her if she could. "Still, it wasn't fair for you to be thrust into a situation like that." She sent a little smile back, wincing at how awkward she felt towards her.

"Thank you," she replied. "I've never really heard that from anyone before in a long time."

"But, of course! Everyone deserves someone to look out for them," Adina said with a cheerful tone, happy that she could do this at least. "I'll be the lookout for you." Plus she needed to talk with Rose anyway, about not dragging other people into pranks.

Kaia nodded, letting out a little laugh. "I never believed for a moment that James was in love with me. That's ridiculous. Anyways, how are you feeling now, Adina?"

"Oh!" The question surprised her, causing her to nearly slip off the broken tree. Adina waved her hands. "I'm feeling much better, thanks to you! I had been a little nervous cause I hadn't been sick like that in quite some time, but you cured me. Thank you again, Kaia." This time, her smile grew much wider. If Kaia seemed like a tactile person, she would offer a hug, but she figured that the other woman might not be receptive.

Kaia's heart warmed at Adina's smile, and she gave her a gentle pat on the head. "I'm a healer. It was my pleasure." And for once, she felt proud of who she had been raised to be.

She almost squeaked at the head pat, feeling much like she had as a kid with her brother, but Adina curbed back the urge. "I wish I could do something like that, but all my powers have led to is chaos and getting chased by hunters." Complaining about her circumstances wasn't an adult thing to do either, but she did feel quite frustrated.

"Well . . . it never comes easy, but from my own experience, you have to forge the path on your own. Fight those who would hold you back. I know it's even more dangerous to have abilities like yours, but you also have so much potential in the future. And we're all on your side."

Adina peered at Kaia, a little awed at her short speech. "I didn't once dare to wish I would find people like you that would help a mage so much. You're all inspirations for me."

Kaia didn't say a word but held out her arms slightly to Adina, inviting her for a hug. It wasn't really her thing before, but she found that now that she had the freedom to do so, being affectionate with others felt like such a privilege and precious moment.

Adina saw the gesture, taking hesitant steps so as to not force her into anything, but then she wrapped her arms around Kaia. Happiness bubbled inside her. She didn't think she would ever be able to really connect with the awing, awesome person that was Kaia, but each day brought its own surprises. They fell into a silence, but Adina didn't mind the quiet, not with this new woman she could call her dear friend.

Leaves crunched under someone's feet right near their location. Adina grew concerned, standing by Kaia to get eye contact with the new arrival, whose purple hair was quite distinctive. Thank the jolly that it was Rose and not one of the mage hunters. Just as she readied to say something to her, Rose instead approached Kaia, a perplexing expression across her face.

"Look, it probably wasn't that cool to get you involved with getting back at Brett. That darn chocolate still gets me mad, but yeah, I guess I'm a little sorry." Rose shrugged, seemingly done with what she wanted to say.

Adina exchanged looks with Kaia, who nodded slightly at Rose's speech. Well, she supposed that was the end of the possible conflict between two of the fiercest people she had ever gotten to know. Sweet. Now, she wondered how things would go between Brett and James. Hopefully as smoothly as this went.

I was thinking this could be pretty finished, so as to let you, @soundofmind put up your own post too, but only if you think it works!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:09 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

I think it works! In my head I imagine Kaia saying something probably pretty chill and dismissive along with the shrug? Like, "Don't worry about it." Since that seems to be her overall reaction to the whole thing anyway?

Idk that's the only thing I can think of to add!

I dunno if I can imagine Rose saying "darn" lol but it still works. My brain is less censored when it comes to Rose but we don't wanna have a bunch of censored words lolllllll

But yeah I think besides that it's ready to post!!!

415 Reviews

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:11 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Ok great! Lemme add that about Kaia, and then I can take out "darn" lol that's simple enough. Then I'll post it!

sorry I have been really stressed from tests, but I had my last lab test earlier, so there's that relief whoop.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:12 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Dude no worries!!!! You are doing amazing!!!!

415 Reviews

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

dsjhfgjdjkfd you're too kind! <33

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

TWO POSTS IN ONE NIGHT YASSSSSSSsssss

I am happy :) ya'll are amazing!!! We've only got FIVE MORE (normal) POSTS before the end of this arc!!!!!!!!

This is the next one:
9. It's raining (still) and they're taking shelter in a small cave. The mage hunters who've been tracking them finally catch up to them and ambush them. They're outnumbered 6 to 20. Adina is the main target, so they go for her first. Ari's closest to her, acts fast, and jumps to shield her. Battle ensues. @Featherstone

U GOT THIS FEA!!! If you want any help you know you can poke any of us and we'll make it work!!

Spoiler! :
10. More fighting. They're all getting wounded left and right, and Adina saves one of the 5's lives w/the arrow trick but just after doing so gets taken b/c she had to pause and focus (letting down her guard) to do so. @fraey

11. All of 'em are wounded and messed up. The group struggles to recover in the wake of the chaos. Kaia helps look after the big wounds, and once bleeding is under control they hurry to track the mage hunters down and save Adina. They know they can't wait. If they wait, Adina could be dead before they get to her. James leads them out. @soundofmind

12. They finally track them down to a big camp. Adina's tied up and gagged, and it looks like they're setting up a noose on a high tree. They have to act fast. James gives quick, brief, hushed directions to them all before they swoop in to get her as stealthily as possible. Gotta think how they win this one w/them all wounded and all... but Adina is saved, and they escape, even if they're all hurting. @sherlockhson (with @fraey?)

13. Recovery. They're still keeping watch as they all calm down and patch each other up and try to get some rest. Everyone's checking in on each other, Kaia's doing a lot of the doctoring. @Lael

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:14 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@Featherstone I’m sure you’ve been busy with finals and end of school year stuff or life and whatever but just wanted to check on you and how you’re doing!

Do you want/need help with your post when you’re able to get to it? Just wanted to remind I’m here to help :)

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:16 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

YEAH
WITH CHRISTMAS AND CHANUKAH IT IS NUTTY BUT
I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU, FRIENDS
I SHALL RETURN COME THE DAWN

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO Y'ALL
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

415 Reviews

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:18 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Happy holidays back to you! I hope you’re doing well ^^

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:14 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Yesss HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! Wuv u all and hope u r doing good

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:53 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS & NEW YEAR to you dazzling storybookers you :3 <3

And as of now I'm officially complETELY UP TO DATE WITH READING THIS SB!!!! I've been having the best time reading this story you've all written together and you should all be ridiculously proud of yourselves <3

I would be a terrible novel protagonist.
— mellifera