Young Writers Society

Stargazers: Our Ghosts [DT]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Welcome to the storybook, @Lael! I love your character already. It looks like this storybook is shaping up to be a great one!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:41 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Can you tell me how Stargazer members are usually recruited, and what you generally do as a member?
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sure thing! Stargazer members are usually recruited after a lot of research. The organization follows up on leads about people who have seen things that they shouldn't have been able to, and checks them out. They usually try going to the person's house and asking them to join. If there's some place that the person frequents that would work better, they'll ask them there instead.

A Stargazer member might do things around the building they operate out of, like making sure certain areas of it are clean. A good amount of people actually live on the premises because that's the only place that they're comfortable with. When a member's comfortable with how things work, they'll typically be sent out in a group on a job. The job will either be about helping a ghost pass on or dealing with a ghostly problem someone living is having, and both scenarios involve talking with the deceased.

I hope that helps!
mage

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:06 am
View Likes
Lael says...

@Mage I assume Alice and Victoria go to the same college? I don't mind either way, but it would probably make things more convenient for the story?

Also, we are in need of more ghost characters, right?
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I was thinking the storybook would take place over the summer, if everyone was alright with that! But they could always be going to the same school once school starts.

And we definitely do!
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:39 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

That sounds good to me! Kaito would probably be working in the summer. He hangs out a lot by the docks,, assuming there are fish-populated bodies of water around. That's probs be where someone would come to him to recruit him ??
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:01 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Okay! Alice would probably be trying to find a job she can have during the school year.
mage

queer and here.

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

This might be a stupid question, but do we know if there are going to be 'bad guys' in this storybook? I'm sure there'll be malicious ghosts who intend to harm others, but will there be a group of ghosts and/or ghost-seers after some shared evil goal? (e.g. 'cleanse' the world of all ghosts, including the good ones; or alternatively, recruit an army of vengeful ghost to control and take over society with fear)?? idk.

Also, can ghosts possess people in this SB? ^^

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

As of right now, there are no bad guys! There's going to be a case of a ghost causing trouble for some living people - though the reasons won't be as clear cut as them being evil. And they can't. If this storybook turns out well, I think I'm going to make more set in this world. And both things that you brought up can be explored in those storybooks!
mage

queer and here.

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Yeah, okay. I like that idea! :)

59 Reviews

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Sorry to keep you waiting on my CP. All I have left to figure out is the backstory and then I'll send it in.

59 Reviews

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Also here is a useful generator for coming up with ghosts on the fly.

http://www.springhole.net/writing_rolep ... ghosts.htm

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 am
Mageheart says...

Thanks for posting that link, @SirenCymbaline! It looks really useful from the few I just tried generating.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Since it looks like we have a pretty good amount of participants at the moment, does anyone object to me marking this storybook as closed? I'll list the current members of the storybook underneath this paragraph, as well as any of the character they'll be writing for if they've already been submitted. If someone was thinking of asking another person to join the storybook, I'd be completely fine with that! I just wanted to see what all of you thought about starting this storybook soon.

@SirenCymbaline - N/A
@Mage - Alice Ashworth, Delilah "Lily" Miller
@soundofmind - Kaito Yasushi
@CoffeeCat - Bodhi Jameson
@Lael - Victoria Everly
@PrincessInk (?) - N/A
@LadyLizzLovelace (?) - N/A
@DarshayataDeka - Aisha Dajah (<- I haven't approved the character yet.)

I put question marks next to anyone who has shown interest but either hasn't said much or hasn't created a character. If you don't want to be a member of this storybook, I completely understand. I just thought it would be helpful to have a list of everyone.

All together, we have nine possible participants! That's really cool.

I don't think we need to decide on the overall arching conflict of the storybook before we begin posting, so I can get the first post up in the next few days! I'll also write up a challenge. I'll include everyone I listed, but, if you decide that you don't want to be a part of the storybook, I'll edit your name out.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

You should have all gotten the notification for the challenge, but I thought it would be a good idea to have it here for reference. I only included the parts that matter to the members of the storybook.

Spoiler! :
The Challenge: Introductions and Interactions

This storybook focuses a lot on characters. But before we can begin to explore our new characters, we have to bring them up in our story! Your challenge is to write your first post for the storybook. But, because interactions are also another important way to show what a person is like, you are also challenged to include some sort of interactions with another character in the storybook!

Completion Time: 12

Credits Awarded: You can get up to three credits in total! The first credit you can get is by writing your first post. The second credit is by having that post be over two hundred and fifty words. The third credit is by including an interaction between your character and at least one other one.

Please try talking to the other members of the storybook! You can talk to them however you want - for example, this DT or a PM would be perfect places to chat about little interactions! They can be conversations, bumping into each other and having a bit of dialogue, or even just one person overhearing another's conversation.
mage

queer and here.

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina