Obscurities DT

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:52 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Terminology

Host: The person who has an obscurity. They usually discover that they are a host at a young age, save for if their obscurity is particularly good at hiding their existence.

Obscurities: A sentient shadow. They always have a host. When their host dies, they become the obscurity of a baby that is born immediately after the death.

Last Resorts: Any weapon containing enzi, an ancient alloy. They all called last resorts because they are the only way that you can fatally wound an obscurity. They are difficult to find because of how rare enzi is, but there is a large number of hosts who possess at least one. Last Resorts can be in almost any form.

Covenants: The contracts that can be made between a host and their obscurities. The connection between their souls become even stronger. The host gains the ability to manipulate darkness like the obscurity, and the obscurity gains the ability to take on the complete appearance of the host. When the host dies, they and their obscurity are given two options. The host can remain as a human in the next life or become an obscurity. The obscurity can be reborn as a human or remain as an obscurity.

Heathermont Academy: A prestigious private high school located in the countryside of New York. It has students from all over the world, and the grades go from ninth to twelfth. Though students are unaware of its true nature prior to the orientation, all students are hosts. The school was created so they and their obscurities can be themselves. The wish of the school's founder, Charles Heathermont, was that students would take part in a covenant with their hosts.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Obscurities

Obscurities are essentially like humans. Each has a distinct personality, voice and a name that they were either given or gave to themselves. Because of the secretive nature of their existence, obscurities typically are very resourceful.

They also have the ability to separate from their hosts. When they do so, they can take on the form of their hosts. However, they will still be made of darkness; they look like three dimensional shadows of their hosts. The gender of the host and the obscurity aren't always the same, though they usually are.

It is incredibly difficult to kill an obscurity, or even to harm them. The only way to do so is by using a Last Resort.

Because obscurities have no control over who their host is, they do not always get along. This can cause many problems if their host learns of their existence – some hosts have tried to exploit them upon doing so or even harm them.
Killing an obscurity means very badly injuring their host. It can even kill the host as well if the host and obscurity have made a covenant.
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:47 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

May I join?
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:04 pm
Mageheart says...

Sure!
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Yay!
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:20 am
View Likes
Kelpies says...

This seems like a fascinating idea! I would like to take part in this SB. I already have a few ideas for my character, and her obscurity.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

Reviews: 4
Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:38 pm
View Likes
EldritchArchivist says...

@Mage WORDS CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW ASDFGHJKL YOU'VE MADE ME BY CREATING THIS STORYBOOK.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE SCHOOL BECAUSE I HAVE SO MANY OCS WITH SENTIENT SHADOWS AND SOME OF THEM WOULD MAKE NEAT TEACHERS.

(Stuff under spoiler because I have a LOT of shadowy OCs.)
Spoiler! :

Like, Alice, Roy or Neira, although I'm tempted to set up Neira as a student just so that she could make everyone's lives hell.

Alice would make a neat teacher, since she's just and kind and terrifying at times. (she's a queen after all),
Roy would make a perfect disgruntled janitor who confiscates kids' cigarettes and smokes them himself. He and his shadow, Rat, can't stand each other so that'd be cool.
Kestrel and Crow would be popularity queens or awesome sports coaches.
Ged and Terevon would be the worst P.E. teachers ever.
Neira probably shouldn't be allowed near the biology classes or she'll dissect everything and steal the skeletons. Hex will steal everything shiny.

I could also throw in Amber and Eowyn - Amber loves singing and Eowyn is a grade A nerd who named herself after a LotR character.

I might include Nox and his host, Adam, to keep the Amber+Eowyn+Nox trio bc I love them. Adam's a sweet nerd who plays guitar.

I think that, for the characters, I'll go for a) Neira and Hex (BAD PLAN) b) Alice and Frey or c) Amber and Eowyn (GOOD PLAN - THEY'RE THE MOST SANE OF THEM ALL.)

Isarey is the queen of flirting and dodging detention, while her poor shadow Kara just. Wants. To. Chill.

Devon is a snarky teacher's pet who usually stays quiet, but his shadow (Obscurity) is a foul-mouthed idiot.

I do want to set Alice up as a teacher, tho. Can we make teacher characters?

Anyways I'm EXCITED.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:41 pm
View Likes
jimss23 says...

May I join?
This is the Rule of Three
Every writer's most sacred oath
Two boys to challenge each other
One girl to challenge them both

-Jim

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

All three of you can definitely join! Welcome to the team~

To answer your question, @EldritchArchivist, I think we could all also be able to make teachers, whether they be an obscurity or a host! But I think we should have a limit of two - the host and the obscurity. That way we won't be overrun with characters.

Speaking of characters in high positions, who would be interested in having the role of the principal?
mage

queer and here.

52 Reviews

Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:56 pm
jimss23 says...

I can fill that role if you need me too.

-Jim

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:03 pm
View Likes

Thanks!

I think that I'm going to go with Amber and Eowyn, since they're super fun to write and Eowyn is a delightful nerd.

Amber is a cute but awkward asexual introvert who likes to sing and is way too passionate about Halloween. She wears striped stockings with everything and would kill a man for toffee. She also loves horror movies and anything written by Neil Gaiman. Plus she just might know the entire "Wicked" musical off by heart. She could, and WILL, recite it to you if you ask. Word. For. Word.

Eowyn is an ace/aro extroverted nerd who, yes, named herself after a Lord of the Rings character. She has a frikking YouTube channel in my 'Verse and it's great. She spends half of her day playing Pokemon or Legend of Zelda and the other half reading comics while listening to Imagine Dragons or something. She's usually the one who drags Amber out of the house to do things.

I love them dearly.

Hey, @Mage, mind telling us more about the classes? Do hosts and Obscurities attend them together? Do they sit next to each other, or does the Obscurity helps their host cheat on exams by whispering the answers to them? What if they chose different subjects later in the years?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'll do my best to! I don't really have the storybook completely fleshed out. I feel like it's optional for the obscurities to take the classes with their hosts. Since some of them are really old, they kind of already know the stuff. But other ones - like my obscurity - is a pretty young one, so he loves going to class and absorbing all of the knowledge.

And you know how teachers collect phones before tests? I feel like they would do something like that with obscurities. Like the obscurity has to leave the room if they're not a student.

And if they choose different subjects, they'd go to the different classes! There's not a limit on how far apart and obscurity and their host can be.
mage

queer and here.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:28 pm
View Likes

Awesome. Thanks a lot! I can't wait until we get started!

52 Reviews

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:34 pm
View Likes
jimss23 says...

Should I wait until you create the CT or can I go ahead and get started on one?

@Mage

-Jim

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Mageheart says...

I'll try to get a CT up by tomorrow morning, but you can definitely start planning out appearances and stuff like that. Actually, if you check out Starflare or Rogue (two of my other storybooks), you should be able to see the templates I usually use!
mage

queer and here.

"There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts."
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart