z

Young Writers Society

Children of Crain Idrith: DT

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:44 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Here's where plotting, discussions, and questions happen.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

117 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:44 am
crossroads says...

And here's some more info on the cities/places. The characters probably won't be spending much time in the human cities (unless we decide the fae make a move to conquer them ;)), but they might affect how some of the characters grow up or what they think about, so here goes.

Vath is a proud city, the capital of Apraria, and its stone walls and impressive architecture speak for themselves. It's built in a star shape, with five gates and a river flowing through it that connects it with Prarena in the north and Summergarde further southeast. People generally have a high regard for nature, its intricate towers are known across the human kingdoms — some say it was a faen architect who'd designed them, but the city officiaries will deny it — but underneath it, it's not uncommon to see beggars scurrying away from the constables, or stray cats feasting on food someone dropped.

Prarena is the city most known for its appreciation of arts. It's a patchwork of brightly coloured houses built upon several levels and often connected with bridges and stairs. During the warm months, it's not uncommon to see the population spend most of their time on the roofs, setting up the markets and performances there. It's a busy town, one that travellers often prefer to spend their time in, and home to just about every Aprarian festival imaginable.

Summergarde is the academic city. It's home to the biggest University, and produces the brightest minds of Apraria. It's impecably clean, guarded by a tall wall on one side and mountains on the others, with only one gate and a bridge across an abbys leading to it. It prides itself on perfection on every level, with its perfectly straight streets and nearly identical residencies. The University, guarded by an inner wall and also accessible through a single gate, is the tallest structure of Summergarde; some say, as impressive as the Vathen court. The city officials punish any wrongdoing rigorously, and there is a prison somewhere deep within the mountains that people don't tend to come back from.

Crain Idrith is a mystery to humans — all but the three who grew up in it. It's a city deep within the woods, invisible and unapproachable unless one's invited or knows exactly what to look for. If one approaches it from any side other than the right one, all they'll see are trees: it isn't until one stands on the exactly right spot that the trees align in a way that show the city hidden within them, thus breaking the glamour that hides it. Once inside, one can glimpse insanely intricate glass structures, that catch light and reflection and seem to constantly change, breathtaking and mind-twisting at once. There is a circle of seven wells around an old, burnt tree in the middle of the city — this is where the fae get their water, and it is said to be an endless supply. The burnt tree, the legend says, is the way for them to enter a hidden realm of the fae, far from any human's sight, although no one can quite tell how exactly that's supposed to work.

The Woods are simply called the Woods. While not looking too dangerous at a glance, it's home to many creatures, some of which enjoy leading unwanted visitors astray. It's uncharted, and neither the humans not the fae dare venture far into it alone.
- they/them -

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:02 am
View Likes
EvangelineFire says...

I'd like to claim one of the Fae please. :D

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 am
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

I seriously don't know what's good for me... I want to join yet another SB (bringing my total I partake in to five), so may I reserve the changeling child from Summergarde
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Could I take a Fae character please? This looks amazing :3
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

117 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:38 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Okay! That brings us to two human kids and two humans looking for Crain Idrith (or whatever their creators want their motivation to be). I know that @ScarlettFire's character will be a member of the royal family, so maybe a knight looking for them? Or maybe someone in the palace wanted them gone so they called off the search, and the two humans are looking for the two others...?

-thinks out loud-
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:35 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Oh yeah, by the way, I'd like all the characters to have a bit of a darker edge to them. Happy-go-lucky or noble or whatever, all that is fine, but I don't want to end up with a cast of perfect people, y'know? Since there is meant to be a war, and betrayals, and heartbreaks and whatnot.

Starting perfect and getting shattered by the cruel reality is always an option too, though :p

Also by the way, Aspendore (my character, whose CP is submitted, in case someone missed it) has been in touch with all six of the children. It's up to you how they feel/felt about that, though. I'm in for whatever plotting, backstory- or present-wise, you wanna do.
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Also xD

There are different types of fae, and they have slightly different characteristics. More on that a bit later when I put together a guide.
- they/them -

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 pm
StellaThomas says...

Colour me vaguely interested in a Summergarde character of some description, depending on availability. I shall be more in depth when back on Irish soil tomorrow.

(actually if there are humans left I'd like one of those. I do love me an academic.)

EDIT -having looked through the material as best I can, I'd be interested in a female academic who has dedicated her career to studying the Fae, likes hiking, was hired as a tutor to the royal palace (not to teach about the Fae, maybe history?) so knew the kid, and feels like it's time to put these three things together and make a difference.

Also she smokes like a chimney.

Wow this started coming together fast xD
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

117 Reviews

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm
crossroads says...

Haha sure, sounds good!

I'd like some collaboration between you and Scar on the kid/tutor relationship, but I'm sure you both already know how that works~
- they/them -

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

13 Reviews

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 am
EvangelineFire says...

@ChildOfNowhere What did you search to find the picture of Aspendore? I can't seem to find anything like what you described the Fae to look like--with the runes and sigils I mean.

117 Reviews

Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:16 am
crossroads says...

Oh, I spent like 3 or 4 hours jumping from one pic to the next xD I don't recommend it, really.

You can just use a regular human pic and mention the sigils and stuff, we can combine the two with some imagination ^^

@Sheyren - sure, I'll add it to the intro post as soon as I get to computer c:
- they/them -

13 Reviews

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 am
EvangelineFire says...

@ChildOfNowhere All right, I'll just do that ^_^

117 Reviews

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:06 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Only two more human kids left — start getting those profiles in, guys~

We start when the CPs are submitted.
- they/them -

News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver