z

Young Writers Society

The Witnesses DT

Which solution for our sigil problem do you think work best?

1) Option 1 seems good.
No votes
2) I think option 2 could work
No votes
3) Option 3 seems efficient enough
75%
4) Option 4 will makes things interesting
No votes
5) I think we need more ideas!!!
No votes
6) All of these, or at least most of them, should be used!
25%

Total votes : 4

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:57 am
Vellichor says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer I take it that having tattoo sigils are now out? Ah well.

A different question; What did you think of my so called "periodic table of sigils?" I'm very excited to start drawing and designing :DD
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 am
Omni says...

Gotta say, our ragtag group is really cool. I'm excited to see what y'all come up with.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:36 am
View Likes
Vellichor says...

@Omnom I'm looking forward to writing with you! I've seen the incredible works you've been large parts of so I'm definitely ecstatic to be a part of it alongside :D
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

378 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 am
Omni says...

@Vellichor thank you <3 I have to say I don't think I've seen you around, but I have also been largely absent from this site for awhile. It'll be a pleasure to see what you do XD

@TheSunderedSorcerer so I want to take a guess as to what Witnesses are since I was thinking about this a bit. Maybe they're non-magical people who got affected by the Tolling (as in they WITNESSED IT hahahaHAAA ok ill stop now) and now that everyone's awake from the spell, they find a new magic rising in them. Perhaps they'll even bring forth a new war?

So, how close or far away am I on that stuff?

sass levels loading

[he/him]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 am
crossroads says...

I was thinking they were the mages who stayed up/were aware of stuff during it... but the note in the intro said everyone would want to be one of them if they were explained, so there's gotta be more than that.

Will they be NPCs, or will we still be able to make characters as Witnesses too (like, second ones, for those who want), now that we have our own so we won't all just jump on being those?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

117 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Oh, double post but whatever.... how does financing studies work? Do they get their books etc for free, or have to pay for everything? Do they also pay for their apprenticeship? And how does it go if a student has no money? Can they rent it all second-hand, and then owe the money for the wand/staff, or some such? Can they get jobs?
- they/them -

378 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 am
Omni says...

@ChildofNowhere that's a good guess too, although Wiz was really insistent that no magic escaped The Tolling's grasp. Hmm

In other news, I'm about to catch up on the posts and start writing my own :D

sass levels loading

[he/him]

117 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:47 am
crossroads says...

Well, that just makes the exceptions to that rule that much more interesting :p But in fairness, what you said was my second guess as well, followed by "people who were there and now are like Adjudicators reincarnated without realising it" and...some other things, but they're probably the sort of weird I think of but are never right xD Wait and see, it is!

*is working on post too*
- they/them -

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 am
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

@ChildOfNowhere, their first books and items are funded by the Academy/ their Master if they cannot pay for it. Arabelle's mother can, so they paid for themselves.

Also, Apprentices don't have to pay (just like no Academy student has to) In fact, most apprentices actually get paid themselves for being an apprentice.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

117 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 am
crossroads says...

Oh, me again! Do the interactions with NPCs (the masters/teachers, that is) count for the challenge you'd given us, or just among our main characters?

Also~ how does communication work? Like, if someone wanted to contact a master or a mage of any sort who lived far away or wasn't around at the time, how would they go about it? And is there such a thing as teleportation magic that would allow people to get from one place to another very quickly?

By the way, I'm thinking of making North a sister <.< I'd totally regret having a bunch of characters in a bunch of SBs someday, but today is not that day, and a tinier female version of him with a very different personality sounds like fun :P If I make her a witch, maybe she and Arabelle could know each other?
...if adding her would even be a thing you'd be okay with, that is.
- they/them -

62 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am
View Likes

@ChildOfNowhere, there is no direct form of teleportation (like apparition, portkeys or the floo networks in HP) Instead, mages (and non-mages) use magical communication artifacts to receive communications from other realms, etc. These items can be anything (like portkeys), as long as it is enchanted with the necessary magic to convey messages to its twin item. (The most common items are books and handheld mirrors, but there have been strange things mages or non-mages have used, like a pair of glasses or old teapot, among other things)

To get betweeen places quickly, there are of course the interrealmal corridors (as explained in my post and then seen again in Swordsman's), but then there are also transport chests (climb into the chest here, get out in another chest somewhere else... these have their limits though, like the chests can't be used to get passed magical barrier spells etc), as well as the teleportation cloaks (only work in the intra-realmal, basically like apparition with a cloak)

Also, I have reserved your spot for North's sister. Note, if you want to make her a witch, she'd have to be either 2nd or 3rd class in order to be North's sister (since then one of her parents could also possibly be North, who is not a wizard's, parent) I shall PM the 12 Wizarding Families' names to you (plus description of each) to help you decide on how to make his sister ;-)

@Vellichor, I have accepted Gregor, but I changed his magical focus to standard and advanced spells, since we already have a sigilweaving Master, and since spells are still the main form of magic, I don't want too many sigilweavers ;-) I hope that is okay with how you saw him in your mind.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 am

A note to @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX and @ChildOfNowhere, as well as whoever wants the last remaining MC spot- if you are up for it, you may create a second npc profile as well. Since I know that both of you are making wizards/witches, both your npcs will then be Professors at the Academy if you decide to do it (I am working on the my second npc profile for Sam)

My second npc will be teaching Poisoncraft at the Academy. ;-)

Also, I will be releasing an important bit of lore concerning the Witnesses soon, so everyone can look out for that soon! (I will tag y'all to ensure you don't miss it accidentally)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

117 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

TheSunderedSorcerer wrote:Also, I have reserved your spot for North's sister. Note, if you want to make her a witch, she'd have to be either 2nd or 3rd class in order to be North's sister (since then one of her parents could also possibly be North, who is not a wizard's, parent) I shall PM the 12 Wizarding Families' names to you (plus description of each) to help you decide on how to make his sister ;-)

Yesss thank you! I'm going with them sharing a mother and having different fathers, for the record, and the families' descriptions/names would've been my next question :mrgreen:

(Seriously, I'm a bit hyperactive today... Maybe I should wake up at 7 am and immediately start writing more often, I kinda like this feeling! And my post is, uh... really long, but to be posted within minutes.)
- they/them -

62 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 am

I can't wait to read your post (I do love them long posts... ;-) ) The PM shall be sent before 12 o'clock GMT (so in about an hour and 15 minutes)

Also, I would prefer MC-MC interaction other MC-main NPC interaction, but if enough individuals request for it, I will alter the Challenge to include MC-main Npc interactions.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

117 Reviews

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:06 am
crossroads says...

*posts*

@AstralHunter - I used Uri for a short interaction, I hope I didn't mess up any of your plans! He seemed like the best choice for the situation, for some reason, but let me know if you hate it and I'll change it.

From now on, North's gonna be exploring the Dome, and whoever wants to walk into him is welcome to (just keep him kinda cold and not very talkative, or PM me and we'll write the interaction together). After that he's gonna go find Echo, but that's a thing for my next post.

His sister, Cara, is come along as soon as I get the info on the families and figure out her wand specs (here's to diving into that document again)
- they/them -

You are all the colours in one, at full brightness.
— Jennifer Niven, 'All the Bright Places'