z

Young Writers Society

The Witnesses DT

Which solution for our sigil problem do you think work best?

1) Option 1 seems good.
No votes
2) I think option 2 could work
No votes
3) Option 3 seems efficient enough
75%
4) Option 4 will makes things interesting
No votes
5) I think we need more ideas!!!
No votes
6) All of these, or at least most of them, should be used!
25%

Total votes : 4

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:49 pm
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Thanks for the queries @ChildOfNowhere!

- Sigil-based magic and ritual magic are the only two legal forms of magic (although heavily limited through laws and regulations) that do not necessarily require wands/staffs. The other, less focused form is Raw Magic, but like I said, that is kinda illegal for daily use. ;-)

- Well, other than the Lodging Mirror and the Floor Maids keeping an eye on any illicit activities in the Lodgings, the IRMA have officials who are responsible for regulating trouble-makers and the breaking of rules/laws. There is no Trace as in HP, so the characters are free to go to places/meetings of ill repute, but the general public and magical educators are not too kind to rulebreakers.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Okay, so once all the spots are reserved or all the CPs are in, I will provide the NPC Character Template for the masters/mentors/professors. If your character is going to the Academy, only create one NPC master/professor (some prefer other terms) (also, I will create the Academy Master's NPC profile), and please don't make two of the same type of lecturer (the subjects of the Academy shall be explained in due course)

If your character is a Staffcrafter, Wandmaker or Sorcerer who has an Apprenticeship with another, more advanced mage instead of going to the Academy, please make an NPC profile for them instead then. (note- Apprentices don't have fixed subjects but focus more on learning skills, imparting knowledge from their master)

These characters will be in the Character list, but I shall mark them as NPC (for those unfamiliar with this practice)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Okay, so I officially closed the SB now. There are still three open slots if someone is (like me...) crazy enough to want a second character. Just holler if that is the case.

We are only awaiting @Omnom and @AstralHunter's CPs for their characters, as well as the NPC CPs for which I will provide the CT and subject list momentarily. Once all profiles are in (hopefully by next weekend), we shall start this adventure!! :D
Please create only one npc per user (I shall create the rest to fill up the school's Professors ;-) )
If you are creating a profile for a Professor, please say which subject they will be teaching here so we don't have two of the same professors. Those with Masters (and thus not at the Academy), you need not worry about Subject, since the Master will teach you all the skills you require.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:30 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I apologize on the delay! I've been really busy lately but I will get working ASAP on Pharah
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

62 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

The Subjects at the Gateway Academy

- Standard Spellcasting (becomes Advanced in fourth year of tuition, includes all spells excluding enchantment/ illusory spells)
- Enchanting and Illusions (classified as one subject)
- Potionry*
- Poisoncraft*
- Magical Creatures (caring, researching, etc)
- Magical History (the magical history of all the connected realms)
- Astrology
- Sigilweaving
- Non-magical Education (education in general subjects to assist mages in integrating/ surviving in the non-magical parts of the realms)

*(Both of these have Herbology integrated into them... They are seperated for the same reason why Wandmaking and Staffcrafting are seperated- Potionmasters and Poisonmasters are fiercely competitive and tend to despise one another)

For those who have Masters- they are taught most of this, but masters usually focus on a certain skillset (like Wandmakers/Staffcrafters receive almost all their education on the magical and non-magical skills required for Wandmaking/Staffcrafting)

Here are the CTs for these Npcs... Remember to say for what subject you are creating a CP if you are going to the Academy (I'll write the Academy Headmaster's CP)

Code: Select all
[b][u]Name:[/u][/b]
[b][u]Subject:[/u][/b] (only for Professors...)
[b][u]Magical Focus:[/u][/b] (only for Masters...)
[b][u]Age:[/u][/b] (minimum of 32)
[b][u]Class:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Race:[/u][/b]
[b][u]Appearance:[/u][/b]
[b][u]Personality:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Opinion on the War/Adjudicators:[/u][/b]

Note- This will all be added to the first page of the DT and the Intro post, so don't worry about losing this info
Last edited by ThePatchworkPilgrims on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:52 pm

@Omnom, no worries. I am totally chilled, and I know we're all busy. At least I know you'll not leave us all dangling on a thread and simply vanish ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 pm
Omni says...

Was that a jab at me? Hurts, man XD

I will totally not leave you all dangling on a thread and simply vanish ;)

sass levels loading

[he/him]

62 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm

No, I'm simply referencing other experiences I had back in the day. I know you wouldn't do such a thing... I wouldn't classify you as one of my comrades if I thought you would ;-) :P
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:07 pm

The Headmaster's profile is up!

Here's the link so you can go check him out 8)

Headmaster Arcaeail Ignatis
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 am
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer

I'm trying to think of a means of getting these sigils to work. But from a casting aspect, they aren't efficient in terms of use. Where someone else could simply say a word, which takes less than a second, a Staffmaker is at a serious disadvantage because movements of their hands will twice as long (if not more). I am trying to find a way that a staffmaker would be able to be on par with a standard Sorcerer/wizard. So far the only thing I can come up with is instead of sigils or wand/staffs they have to use their own bodies as the wand/staffs. Not trying to change anything in this, just an observation.

62 Reviews

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 am

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX I have also been working on methods for how sigils would work. Since your character will be using them more than the others, I will not make a final judgment without your and the other team members' opinions.

Instead of physically drawing the sigils with their hand/wand/staff, I have four possible solutions (you can tell me what you all think)
1) they already have predrawed sigils (like on a scroll or in a tome) Obviously each mage decides what sigil combinations they will only carry around the sigils they wish to use. The mage then simply "draws" the magic out of said scroll/tome to use it (written with magical quills and ink) This option works well for Wandmakers or Staffcrafters, since they do not have wands or staffs and can thus carry around sigil tomes/scrolls easier

2)They have sigil patterns on themselves (tattoos, on clothing, etc) It is almost the same principle as option 1), but instead of predrawed sigils which can't be altered, the mage simply "draws" the magic from the desired patterns to form the sigils they wish to use. This is a more universal option than option 1), since Wizards/Sorcerers can also use them, but it would require getting magical tattoos or having magical patterns sewn into your clothing.

3) They do not physically draw the sigils at all. Instead they mentally draw it (by fusing the patterns together in their mind to form the intent they seek) and then focus the sigil in their hand/wand/staff. The sigil will then form at the palm/tip/head of these vessels as the desired magical intent/energy form the spell. This almost how they do it in the rpg Tyranny (image in the spoiler), so it is possible to be done. All that would be required is focus/concentration while the mage draws the sigil mentally
Spoiler! :
As can be seen, the guy in the to is about to cast a ice sigil (which is why it is glowing white) That explosion was cast be the man with the white hair in the central bottom.
tyranny3.jpg
I couldn't find a better quality picture. Sorry ;-)

4) They still continue to draw the sigils. Sigils will then simply need to be smaller/ less complicated patterns. Since sigils are usually more offensive/defensive and less for daily use, they tend to be stronger than spells (this strength offsets the time it takes to draw the sigils) Also, a sigil spell does not have to be used at the moment it is done being drawn, thus a Sigilweaver might take cover from a barrage of spells while weaving a sigil, and the hold the spell until they see an opportune moment to strike.

Please, although Swordsman here offered to help draw the patterns, the rest of the team may gladly offer their opinion, ideas on the concept, or even help with the sigils, if they would like to ;-)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:43 am
View Likes
Omni says...

To put my own input into this, I think 3 is the best option, althought 2 would be cool too. I played this game called Star Ocean The Last Hope, and in that game there was a type of magic called Symbolism. I'm sure it's been in other places, but that's where I saw it haha. Not everyone had it, but basically the concentrate and draw a mental glyph, and it appears in front of them. Some glyphs took longer than others, but those spells were also stronger in general. I think something along those lines would be the best best for this situation.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 am
View Likes
Vellichor says...

Does only one of these have to be true? It seems to me that 1 and 2 should be made true in any case, with 2 simply being less heard of in the magical world because it's like, hardcore or something...

Also, though I don't have any more to offer on the decision than what I've said above, I would loooooove to help out with drawing any sigils that have yet to be completed.
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

62 Reviews

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 am

I have added a new option to the poll (All or more of these could work) Also, these are merely suggestions, so I value the input you guys are giving

@Omnom, I like your idea. That is more or less what Option 3 entails, but since I wrote that with 5 minutes left at the library, I didn't really go into detail with each option.

@Vellichor, I added another option to the poll for you (and others who are thinking along the same lines as you ;-) ) Also, thank you so much for offering to help.

@XxXTheSwordsman, Vellichor and the rest the team (I simply mention them by name since they offered to help make the sigils), here is the link for where the sigils should be uploaded for quick reference. You all already have access to this part of my Google Drive, so it will work well to have the sigils here too... ;-)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19SQ ... JBMhU/edit

Note- Spells are still the main form of magic, and sigils are only to be used by characters incapable of using spells or in dire situations where spells are unavailable/not efficient enough. Sigils are primarily used as defensive or offensive magic by Wandmakers and Staffcrafters, so no ease-of-living sigils that unlock stuff, make stuff lighter, etc. please.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 pm
crossroads says...

I've been thinking of it more how you can read/see in Lev Grossman's Magicians series. They draw magic by arranging their fingers and making hand gestures of different kinds, and their hands sort of draw in the air by doing so. I could imagine that sort of thing working really well here too.

Also, have a question! Do the masters have to be the same type of mage as their charges? Like, can I have a Staffcrafter or whatever take on a regular sorcerer as an apprentice, or would they not know how to teach each other?
(I'm playing with the idea because of North's staff being so weird, and I kinda want to make his master into a Staffcrafrer who lost his hands to a fire or something)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust