z

Young Writers Society

The Witnesses DT

Which solution for our sigil problem do you think work best?

1) Option 1 seems good.
No votes
2) I think option 2 could work
No votes
3) Option 3 seems efficient enough
75%
4) Option 4 will makes things interesting
No votes
5) I think we need more ideas!!!
No votes
6) All of these, or at least most of them, should be used!
25%

Total votes : 4

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

A note on the Masters, Professors, apprenticeships and the Academy-

Mages who are the apprentices of Masters get taught primarily in that Master's magical focus (i.e. Potionry, Sigilweaving, etc) They also assist the Master with tasks (basically like an assistant), to gain practical experience in said magical focus.

ALL mages, however, get classes at the Academy from the Professors, albeit all their classes (thus Wizards and Grifts), or only certain classes that are not the magical focus of their Master for apprentices.

An example would be Uriah (using him since I just accepted his Master's profile)- He would work as a Potionmaster's assistant and gain tuition in Potionry, Shifting (since they're both Shifters) and maybe some spells/astrology,etc. from her. However, he would still have to go to the Academy to receive tuition in other subjects, like Magical history or illusions, etc (Apprentices have the advantage of choosing which classes they would like to attend or avoid, so Uriah might choose not to receive tuition in Poisoncraft at the Academy, since his Master's focus is Potionry, and so on)

There are, however, fringe cases where a Master despises the teaching methods of the Academy and would disallow their apprentices from going to it.

Professors can also have proteges, but these mages only receive special tuition from that Professor, not practical experience by working as the assistant of a Potionmaster, enchanter, etc)

I hope this makes more sense to everyone (I know it was slightly confusing to some of you) If there is some uncertain spot, please ask me to clarify for you.
I would also like to hear your opinions. Would you prefer the Masters to also work for/at the Academy, with the only difference between them and Professors being that they take apprentices? Or would you prefer Masters to be completed disconnected from the Academy? This is an open discussion, so please come forward with your ideas. ;-)
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:53 am

Announcement:

Based on the votes I received from a few of you, my two co-managers for this SB will be @ChildOfNowhere and @Omnom... This position comes with a co-editorial role regarding lore, plus the usual "perks" (you're both mods, so the perks, like being able to edit the posts or accepting CPs, don't really change much XD). With the co-editorial role, if there are any new ideas or concepts or lore that I am incapable of adding in, or haven't gotten round to yet, you guys may do so.
Also, I will consult you two first regarding any major pieces of lore, plotlines, etc before posting it here for criticism and commentary by the rest (thus if you feel I am going too zany or over-the-top, or need to be more detailed/explain something in more detail, you two will be there to stop me before I post it here) You may also suggest/make/add to the SB Challenges for this SB. ;-)

Note to the rest of the team- They will now have the same power as me, thus if I am unavailable (due to being away or without internet connection), they will essentially be me x2 (and be able to add or interpret the lore or discrepancies in the lore that may arise as they feel it should be interpreted or gone about). Your opinions are all still of the highest importance to me, I simply require Omnom and CoN to assist me with the running of this SB and keeping track of all the boatloads of great ideas and opinions you guys constantly bring forth :D
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:42 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer

I think that is a great idea, but there would need to be some limitations, such as you have to be able to see the person or you need to say their name and visualize what they look like.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:08 pm
crossroads says...

You need to know their name and appearance, like in Death Note? :)
I'd actually like that. Would it work with name/appearance chosen, or true one, or just one the person identifies with?

I'm thinking the last option -- so Cara could be summoned like that, butwith North it'd be harder 'cause he doesn't really identify with the appearance/name others see/know for him?

Anyway, came here for totally different reason.

Thanks for voting for me, I guess? xD I'll do my best to help you out leading this thing.

As for Masters, I'm thinking they could have an office or some such at the academy, so they're connected and reachable, but then choose whether they want to teach from there or be independent?
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:09 pm
Omni says...

Oh, thanks for the votes everyone! I didn't vote whoops I will definitely try my hardest to help out :D if y'all ever want to just spit plot ideas around, poke me and I'll open a WFP ^^
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:12 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

I was thinking that maybe the Masters need to register too. That way, anyone can become a Master, they just need to provide the IRMA with all the relevant information. It could be an easy way to earn money if you can find an apprentice. (That's the idea I'm using for Thirrin, at least.)
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:28 pm
Omni says...

I agree @AstralHunter that's how I was thinking in my head as well. Maybe mages need to register after they graduated the Academy so IRMA can keep track of mages around the realms and also need to register if they want to become a Master so IRMA can keep track if anyone wants to apprentice to someone. From what Wiz has talked about with IRMA, they're very strict about magical dealings as to keep records of everything, and these registrations go hand in hand with that :D
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

107 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:58 am

Running along those same lines...how are we deciding which sorcerer students are apprenticed to which masters? I'm fine with pairing the students with the NPC's that we created but I wanted to see if there was any ideas about any other methods of how that would be determined.

293 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:07 am
BrumalHunter says...

@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX, I'd assume that if a registered sorcerer doesn't find a Master on their own, they will be assigned one at random. Though mages like Echo and Thirrin had to register themselves as North's and Uri's Masters and earned money another way beforehand, the Academy surely has permanent Masters employed.

On to a different topic, is there a system that ranks animals/monsters/creatures/beasts according to how dangerous they are, @TheSunderedSorcerer + @ChildOfNowhere + @Omnom? I mean something like ranking a pidgeon as the lowest (F grade/sixth rank/whatever) because it's harmless, while a dragon would be ranked the highest with things like boggarts, unicorns and manticores ranked somewhere between that. Alternatively, a system classifying creatures according to how magical they are could be in place instead - or even as well, with both existing. What do you think?
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 pm

So many stuff to get into my head in such a short time! This is why I despise not living on my own yet. All the internet gets used up by other people before the end of the month!

Anyway, down to business.

-@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX and @ChildOfNowhere- I think that the last option CoN mentioned would work the best for the limitations for the spell. That way, it might be harder to use the spell on certain individuals (or even impossible), while others are constantly being summoned by the spell.

-@AstralHunter- I would say yes, Masters also need to register that they become Masters (Professors get jobs from the Academy directly, so they aren't required to register via the same process as Masters) I actually think the IRMA would also examine whether a mage's magical focus of suitable standard to become a Master.

-Swordsman- During the initial magical registration, the IRMA identifies mages most likely to gain Masters. Then, when they gain Masters, the Master simply notifies the IRMA so they can keep track of the apprentices.
On the topic of how they receive Masters, prospecting apprentices usually 1) go looking for specific/well-known Masters, 2) stumble across their Masters while looking for a Master, or 3) Get chosen by their Master (essentially North)
Those who fail to find an initial Master can request assistance from the Academy (like Hunter suggested), or they simply go to the Academy and only receive a Master once they're older (if they still seek to have a Master, which most do)

- Hunter- I think that both systems might be used by the part of the IRMA that handles Shifters and Shifter-related laws/regulations, etc. If you or any of the other would like to, you could surely start creating such lists and making them available to the rest of us to assist and scrutinize. ;-)

In other matters, I have drawn several possible sigils already, but haven't had time to scan them into the computer. I'm sending to work with my mother on Monday so she can do just that for me, so I may upload them for your opinions on them. ;-)

Also, my post for Karasam is almost finished. I just wanted to hear if I may incorporate a brief interaction with Ari to my post (@Vellichor), nothing too long or complicating, the two of them just run into one another (literally... :D) outside the Rolling Dragon Tavern (which is through which Sam came to the Gateway from his realm) The altercation is only about five dialogue lines long, so I hope it won't cause too much hassle with your post.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:36 pm
View Likes
Vellichor says...

@TheSunderedSorcerer Please do incorporate him :D That goes to anyone and everyone else that may want to at some point :)
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

293 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 pm
BrumalHunter says...

I'm including Jake and Ari briefly. North will naturally be included, so then I have three characters for the CC and will be happy. If anybody else wishes to use Uri, please just wait until I have posted. It is so long already, and I haven't had the energy to complete it. Hopefully, tomorrow (Sunday) will be better, since I don't have to work.
— Paul the Apostle

107 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Well we only have one StaffCrafter master and one staffcrafter master. Would the IRMA want similar sorcerers trained by similar masters?

293 Reviews

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:13 pm
BrumalHunter says...

I think ordinarily, a mage would be trained by another mage of the same type, seeing as it's the logical course of action to take, but since the magical society only just woke up - let's give it a few months, judging from everyone's posts - and have yet to recover from the loss of magical potential because of the war, they may make allowances until things have stabilised again. Since sigil-weaving and spell-casting are subjects taught at the Academy, a Sorcerer can have a Staff-crafter/Shifter as their Master and receive training in other areas from them, but I don't think the same goes for Staff-crafters and Shifters themselves, as their respective talents aren't taught as a subject.

tl;dr: Sorcerers/Grifts can have Staff-crafters/Wand-makers/Shifters as their Masters because they are taught general magic, but Staff-crafters/Wand-makers/Shifters can't have Sorcerers/Grifts as their Masters because they have a very specific kind of magic in addition to the general stuff. (Grifts have fewer problems changing than Shifters and don't have a limited number of forms, so they probably don't need to be taught how to control that.)
— Paul the Apostle

62 Reviews

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm
View Likes

Important Lore!!!

The Witness Lore

Omnom, you guessed correct that the Witnesses have a new form of magic awakened by the Tolling. However, since the Tolling happened so recently, the IRMA don’t know of it yet (or they brush it off as a unique form of raw magic in Sorcerers or Wizards.

The Witnesses’ new form of magic is almost like raw magic, with some key differences. The easiest way to describe it is Memory magic, as it involves past memories, current memories and memories yet to form. They aren’t time travellers or clairvoyants, but rather they “witness” or “rewitness” events that happened/will happen/are happening to them or others.

There are three forms of Memory magic (the control of which is still mostly unfamiliar to those who have it, although some have started learning how to control it)

- The first form are what I like to call the “Pensieve” Witnesses. Just like the Pensieve in Harry Potter, the mages (or non-mages) can relive or witness past memories (either their own or someone else’s, but they must have access to that person), allowing them to observe previously unknown intricacies or anomalies in these memories and learn from them. This might seem like a fairly inconsequential magic, but that when the fun begins. Although none of the mages and non-mages can control this magic yet, with enough control and focus these individuals could theoretically alter or change the transpiring events of the specific memories, even if it is quite risky/ dangerous to do so. They might even be able to take objects from these memories, as long as these objects aren’t essential in the memory or the chain of events that follow the memory)

- The second form are the Eye Witnesses :P Their magic involves them being able to “experience” new memories or events forming in other individuals (thus essentially going into that person’s mind to see and experience what they are doing/thinking of doing) These mages and non-mages are essentially hitch-hikers in other individual’s minds (think along the similar veins of Legilomancy and Occlomancy in Harry Potter)

- The final form are the Witnesses of that-which-might-be. Unlike seers who usually “see” unchangeable events in the future (also often in the distant future, and most of the time not applicable to the mage themselves), these mages and non-mages witnesses events that might happen in the immediate future (like someone is about to come around corner and murder you with a Bleeding Curse) Think of this a magical form of receiving a premonition, but instead of simply “seeing” or sensing the event, these individuals experience the event (without the inconvenience of possible death or injury for themselves or others) Also, one might say the entire part of Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban before Hermione and Harry used the time turner to save Buckbeak was one massive memory to-be ;-) :D 8)

As you can see, I mentioned that non-mages also have this magic that awoke in them (which would technically make them mages, correct?) Well, since Memory magic hasn’t been discovered or recognised by the IRMA, there will be non-mages (who aren’t Sorcerers, Wizards, etc, and thus incapable of wielding other forms of magic) with this magic. Already registered mages/ mages with other magical potential who have one of these abilities are already recognised for their other magic, so the IRMA is mostly oblivious to this new, unique form of magic.

This above-mentioned issue will be a key driving force in the magical vs non-magical part of the story arc that will take place, as well as with the Adjudicator vs IRMA/the Academy story arc (hence the name of the SB) Some of our characters will also have this magic, although only a limited number of them (which is why this info hasn't been revealed until now) I will draw random lots to see who will be the lucky characters (the total of which will also remain a secret 8))

Any questions? Please ask them so I might clarify the issue(s)

P.S- I use Harry Potter references a lot, since that tends to be a way of putting my concepts/ ideas more into perspective/ known concepts for you guys if I fail to explain properly.

P.P.S- on the topic of seers: Clairvoyance and the Sight/Inner Eye are seen as forms of raw magic seen in Sorcerers or Wizards, but not so much in Grifts, Shifters and Wandmakers.

P.P.P.S- all this will be added to the intro post of the SB for future reference.

Spoiler! :
@AstralHunter, @ChildOfNowhere, @Omnom, @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX, @Vellichor... Just tagging y'all so you don't miss this post
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature